Anyone else do paracord?

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Just curious if anyone else here enjoys doing any kind of paracord crafts? So far I have made several bracelets, dog collars, key chains. All that kind of fun stuff...lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I need to cause I want a bracelet and all the ones I find are too dang small

Reactions: BHAMER and Mounce

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I have the same problem...I just made me one last night, my jig was set on 10 inches lol. Most places dont seem to make any bigger than about maybe 8-9 inch ones.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I have made a few bracelets over the years. I have done a few turks heads for scouts and a few other items.

Reactions: BHAMER

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Very nice, thats what got me doing it, my nephew learned it from the scouts and showed me. Now I am into it pretty bad...lol My wife and I are making awareness ribbon key chains for breast cancer month. So far we have sold about 5 of them...its kinda fun just relaxing and tying knots...lol

Reactions: djthumper

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Nice

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Thanks, the wife has me making them, and then she is the one selling them....isnt that how it goes...lol you do the work and they take the proceeds....just kidding...lol

AManders6

Jan 24, 2014
I have made quite a few thing with paracord. Knife handles, sheath wrappings, dog collars, leashes, duck call lanyards, bracelets, and necklaces. I'm going to be doing a dog harness and shotgun sling fairly soon as well

Reactions: Capote and BHAMER

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
AManders6 said:
I have made quite a few thing with paracord. Knife handles, sheath wrappings, dog collars, leashes, duck call lanyards, bracelets, and necklaces. I'm going to be doing a dog harness and shotgun sling fairly soon as well
I made a dog collar for my neighbors lab, and I think for Christmas I am gonna make the duck call lanyards for my dad, brother and brother-in-law. I haven't done anything with knives or sheaths yet, but might be doing a gun sling as well for a friend of mine.

Reactions: AManders6

AManders6

Jan 24, 2014
BHAMER said:
I made a dog collar for my neighbors lab, and I think for Christmas I am gonna make the duck call lanyards for my dad, brother and brother-in-law. I haven't done anything with knives or sheaths yet, but might be doing a gun sling as well for a friend of mine.
Nice! The collar I made for our oldest dog has held up amazingly. She has a knack for getting into everything. We had a standard collar on her for about 6 months and somehow she managed to have that thing destroyed. I've been putting of the gun sling because I know it will take a lot of cord and time, and I've been busy like crazy lately. Okay it will go on my new rifle, once I actually buy it

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Thats what I have been reading....takes about 1 foot for every 1 inch, I'm gueesing for the lanyards its gonna be about 40 feet or so...guess I need to get started...lol

AManders6

Jan 24, 2014
Yea, I'm basically going to buy a couple of strands of 100 feet and use them as is. Its going to be intense

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
My neighbor came over with a new lanyard someone had made him and he had me add 2 more drop downs(call holders), I really liked that one. Gonna have to figure out what knot it is, had like 3 different patterns. I know one was the cobra, one was a box knot, and the last one was some neat wrap around kinda thing, not really a knot but really cool. Really only have about 2 and a half months to get 3 of them done...lol hopefully that is enough time to get them done!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I don't normally use the buckles. A knot a loop take care of it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I want a shackle closure

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I have done the knot and loop, but I like done the buckles, I want to do some with the shackles, haven't done one yet though. The shackles seem to give the bracelet a little bit of adjustment.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Yeah, the shackle seems to give you a little adjust-ability in it.

Maybe I will find my stuff as I get things cleared up from the move.

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I have got to try those shackles, I like the beefy look of them, but it now seems as if I am hooked. I have been making bracelets and stuff now for the last few nights. Just can't seem to stop...lol

wsweet

Sep 25, 2014
there is a guy at my work that makes these but he puts things inside of the bracelet and calls them survival bracelets/necklaces. he puts like fire starters or some fishing line and small hook in it and a small compass. its pretty neat and a cool idea for those of you on here

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like the survival idea

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I have seen those as well, gonna have to make a few and see how they are. They also do that with cash in them....might make a good christmas gift

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I have a small survival kit that looks like a small grenade that came with a carabeiner to clip it to things.

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I havent seen those yet, gonna have to look into those. Sounds cool

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I've seen a few keychains made of paracord that have about a 1 inch steel ball wrapped in cord at the end. They're sold for self defense from some company and they're no joke. I haven't been swarped with one but I've messed around with one and I wouldn't want my head on the receiving end.

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Those are called "monkey fists" I have seen kits to make those with a freaking pool ball inside!! Couldn't imagine getting hit with that!! lol. I am making a few of those with golf balls inside. The wife and a couple ladies she knows want them. Gonna see how those turn out.

Reactions: dmanns67 and Mounce

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Paracord is awesome. In the Corps we called it 550 cord. I have used that stuff for everything, making shelters in the field, towing items, rifle sling, etc. Never made bracelets out of it though.

Currently I have some 550 cord holding a tree upright next to my house. Strong wind storm came through last year and almost blew the tree over.

My wife would love a monkey fist to keep in her truck. Next to the mace, bamboo stick, and knife.

Reactions: BHAMER and Mounce

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I still call it 550 cord

You can make monkey fists with just layers of 550 wrapped tightly and it will hurt a lot!

Reactions: BHAMER and dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
BHAMER said:
Just a few that I have done for some customers
attachicon.gif
20141011_184740.jpg
attachicon.gif
20141010_045037.jpg
attachicon.gif
20141011_212220.jpg
I really like the idea of the watch band made from 550 cord. I wear my Timex Ironman watches out and the first thing to break is always some part of the band. My Timex Expedition has been holding up pretty well though.

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I have done 3 watch bands now. One was 550, the one pictured was 550(gutted) and then did a white 325 cord for my mom. If the watch pins are strong or if it is a solid bar across instead of a pin the regular 550 works pretty good. The one pictured had a weal set of pin in the band and kept popping off, so I had to gut the 550 and it worked GREAT, the guy loved it!

Reactions: dmanns67

BHAMER

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I have seen a few of those done for jeep guys, that looks great!!

I may have to steal that idea for my truck now...if thats ok

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Make me some too :wink:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.