Any way to tighten loose center caps?

400Magnum

Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
I know the obvious answer is to just buy new ones, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on something that's just going to end up loose too. Is there anything that I can do to modify the center caps to keep them from being so loose that they rattle around when driving slow? I figure if they're that loose they're going to fall off when I hit a bump or something one of these days, and they just sound bad driving around at slow speeds.

Any thoughts?

jham

Nov 20, 2011
First thing that come to mind is a piece of metal that will push the tabs on the center out to hold it in place. But there's not alot of material to attach it to.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
If the Envoy caps are similar to the TB caps:

You could try CAREFULLY heating the tabs near the base and gently coaxing them a little farther out.
Or slip some large diamater heat shrink over one or more tabs?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I was going to suggest wrapping some electrical tape, but I like the shrink tubing idea better. :thumbsup:

Harbor Freight has the tubing pretty cheap.

Just be careful, when shrinking the tubing, that you don't melt the cap.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Its been a long time since i had my stockers on. But mine were loose to. I fixed it, i forgot what i did to the caps tho. I need a pic of one. I think i bent the tabs back some or tightened them up or something. I forget, and i dont know where my stockers are at to look at them.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
You should be able to bend the tabs out a bit. You shouldn't have to go overboard doing it.

400Magnum

Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Thanks for the ideas guys! My first thought was just superglue some thin rubber to the outside of the tabs, but I like the idea of the shrink tubing better. Maybe do a combination of bending the tabs just a little and the shrink tubing. I'll give them a look to see what I can do.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

jmlock

Apr 19, 2012
AtlWrk said:
You could try CAREFULLY heating the tabs near the base and gently coaxing them a little farther out.
I will say that your method does work for the plastic tabs that go over the screws on the drivers side kick panel. :biggrin:

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
when in doubt, jb weld the cap on.... Won't be loose anymore :raspberry:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
04envoyxlv8

Members Online