antilock brakes kicking on at slow speed SOLVED

JerryIrons

Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Just in case this helps anyone else, I had the fairly common problem of the antilock brakes kicking on at slow speed. Basically what would happen: Pull up to stop sign on dry pavement, once the vehicle speed (and/or engine rpms I guess) drops to a slow enough speed, the antilock brakes kick on. Up here in buffalo it was tough to tell I had a problem until the roads started getting dry LOL.

What I also wanted to mention was that for quite some time (3 months?), I had another weird problem. When starting the vehicle from a dead stop, the stabiltrak light would flash on briefly, I just assumed that I had something starting to wear in my suspension, and also I am due to change the lower ball joints.

Both problems got worse over time, and the antilock problem, once it started happening on dry pavement, began to alarm me and became a high priority on the fix it list.

I have an older actron ABS code scanner, it only reads up to 2005 vehicles but the codes are the same for the 06 trailblazer, and sure enough it complained that the right front wheel speed sensor circuit was bad, I think it was C0040 or C0041 can't remember.

So I bought a new SKF right front bearing assembly put it on and BOTH problems were immediately solved, kinda felt like Christmas. :smile: The older SKF bearing that I put on has over 70K miles on it, and the bearing itself was fine but I'm assuming the contacts for the wheel speed sensor started wearing or rusted. Lots of snow and salt up here. That bearing was made in the USA, but the new SKF bearing was made in Mexico. (rock auto) So we will see.

Lastly, throughout both problems starting up, and getting worse, I never once had a single check engine light, or an ABS light complaining that something was wrong.

-Jerry

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Glad you solved your issues!

Might have been able to remove and clean the ABS sensor; that's what many have done (including me) when the ABS kicks in at low speed. No CEL at all because the ABS thinks a wheel is in a skid when it doesn't see the pulses.

cleaning the sensor doesn't always fix it, you may have needed a new one since you had the other issue as well.

Good on ya!

JerryIrons

Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah I thought about cleaning it, but since I had 70k miles on it I just decided to replace it. Good idea though and worth considering for anybody else having same problem.

-Jerry

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlyatauction

Members Online