Android hacking and modding

Limestone

Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
When I'm not messing with the tb trying to modernize it lol. I've really gotten into modding android software/phones. I'm not a veteran at it by any means. Still learning and slowly trying to try mods. Anyone else into android and tried rooting your device, or adding Roms? I've currently rooted my old Samsung Gs2 and installed Beanstalk 4.3 and root my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. No ROM on tab2. Rooted these devices to rid them of bloatware from Samsung and mobile provider. And BC Samsung said they weren't giving me anymore updates. Lol showed them gotta love open power of Android.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I rooted my S4 before the last update, however I have not had a reason to redo it. I also rooted a Kindle Fire HD that we have and it is 100 times better with a custom launcher.

As for past phones my old Bionic had been to places some have been scared to venture. Started with rooting, then roms, then customizing the roms, eventually it got to the point where I was tweaking kernals and cpu/gpu speeds.

I have a friend who has done something I never imagined doing by accident, he deleted his IMEI number, it took him a few hours to get it straight, but apparently it is frowned upon.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Rooted, rom'd...what??

I thought my S4 was modded because I added a different phone cover. Sounds like I'm wrong...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's the difference between installing LED ceiling lights and buying EFILive to edit your own PCM tune tables. While driving.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Rooted every android device I've owned

Limestone

Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
Has anyone tried any of the kit Kat Roms? I rooted my tab2 removed bloatware, and some system apps. But I'd like to over clock it but I can't find the ideal app to do so. What's apps do you guys use?

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
I'm not a fan of KitKat, honestly. I tend to stick to sense roms, but you have to have an HTC for that.

I've been using kcontrol for tuning. It's a paid app, but it's worth the price.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I have my S4 rooted but have not done much with that. Mainly to run Titanium Backup and Avast! I recently used Titanium to delete a couple of bloatware apps on the phone.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Hypnotoad said:
I'm not a fan of KitKat, honestly. I tend to stick to sense roms, but you have to have an HTC for that.

I've been using kcontrol for tuning. It's a paid app, but it's worth the price.

Supposedly the S4 KitKat update is OTA on certain carriers. I used to rom my Bionic with Liberty and for a while it was great, but the Dev stopped supporting it for other projects and it became buggy. So CM was my go to thing for a while. I also tried and early ICS rom on my old droid 3, it worked great, but being ported from the Nexus made it have issues with the keyboard.

Mark20 said:
I have my S4 rooted but have not done much with that. Mainly to run Titanium Backup and Avast! I recently used Titanium to delete a couple of bloatware apps on the phone.

Good thing about the new android versions is being able to freeze most bloat with no rooting required

Hypnotoad said:
Titanium backup FTMFW!

I have been partial to Rom Toolbox Pro, does everything Tibu and clockwork mod did in one easy app with tons of customization options. I also think JRummy does great dev work.

I got into tweaking roms with the help of my younger brother, I really like playing with Linux code. However I am no programmer and soft bricked my bionic more times than I care to admit.

Limestone

Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
I got into tweaking roms with the help of my younger brother, I really like playing with Linux code. However I am no programmer and soft bricked my bionic more times than I care to admit.[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain I have a s2 stuck in boot loop right now that I can't do anything with. Its the main reason I haven't rooted or rom'd my s3. And the fact it's my DD cell.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Any of you guys on XDA? I have the same screen name on there. I have a Sprint Note II.

blazinlow89 said:
I have been partial to Rom Toolbox Pro, does everything Tibu and clockwork mod did in one easy app with tons of customization options. I also think JRummy does great dev work.
I love Rom Toolbox (Pro), but I had an issue with it not being able to restore backed up apps/data. So I have Rom Toolbox and Titanium installed. Rom Toolbox definitely looks better.

Jared

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Limestone said:
I feel your pain I have a s2 stuck in boot loop right now that I can't do anything with. Its the main reason I haven't rooted or rom'd my s3. And the fact it's my DD cell.

Motorola was by far one of the easiest phones to fix when soft bricked. Flash the .sbf file through RSD lite and you are good to go. I have not played with my S4 to that point, but I did find out that verizon had a utility that will repair the stock os if all else fails. I had a bad update that kept root but just made the phone do all kinds of crazy stuff. I plugged it into the computer to pull some files and the verizon update assistant came up.

jsheahawk said:
Any of you guys on XDA? I have the same screen name on there. I have a Sprint Note II.

I love Rom Toolbox (Pro), but I had an issue with it not being able to restore backed up apps/data. So I have Rom Toolbox and Titanium installed. Rom Toolbox definitely looks better.

Jared

I had a similar issue, but I have not used it in a while. Google has improved their app data save support tremendously.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
blazinlow89 said:
I had a similar issue, but I have not used it in a while. Google has improved their app data save support tremendously.
I might have to try it out again. I definitely think Rom Toolbox is waaaay more user friendly than Titanium.

Jared

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
I've put five roms on today. I can't find one I like. KitKat is nice, but I like the S-Pen. Damnit.

Jared

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online