Amber turn signals on tail lights

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Good luck. Only non-North American TB's had them. Member in France was looking for them for his safety check. Instead, he'll be putting yellow halo rings over the existing red lens. He was also looking at getting super bright yellow (not amber) LED lights to make them look amber when on. Not sure that would work though.

Did you try a GM dealer in Japan? Might be expensive though.

KilluminatiDre

Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
Mooseman said:
Good luck. Only non-North American TB's had them. Member in France was looking for them for his safety check. Instead, he'll be putting yellow halo rings over the existing red lens. He was also looking at getting super bright yellow (not amber) LED lights to make them look amber when on. Not sure that would work though.

Did you try a GM dealer in Japan? Might be expensive though.
The dealer I bought it from said they would send a pair but I'm not getting my hopes up. They have been dodging the situation for a few weeks now and finally said they will send a pair next week. I'm just thinking worst case scenario if I have to aquire some on my own. There are no GM dealers anywhere close to my town. I wonder if I could find a part number for those non-US spec lights.

KilluminatiDre

Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
I think I might be good. I just found a beat up pair on the japan auctions. Its kinda hard searching on there because of the way they name things. I had to search it as T370L instead of Trailblazer. I should be able to swap those out for the inspection and then put the U.S. leds back in right after if the dealer doesn't send a pair.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I searched for a while and could not come up with a part number. Couple pictures from Europe.

If the lights were so important, by paying and taking delivery on the vehicle, you removed the dealer's motivation to do what they promised. At the very least demand they give you the part numbers. Next time, hold off the purchase or get the commitment in writing with a penalty date and price.

KilluminatiDre

Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
Yes I totally agree. I had a local american dealer buy the truck in my behalf since I don't speak Japanese. He told them to have the lights swapped before they shipped the truck and they didn't do so. Like you said he/we should have got something in writing instead of taking their word for it. I should have stayed on top of MY dealer and made sure he took care of that, but it doesn't help that I'm deployed right now too.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
15131582 and 15131583 look promising, but it's extremely hard to find confirmation beyond image results from Google. I would see about calling around and querying about this... well it may be difficult being in Japan to do that. Perhaps someone around here can help make the calls about those part numbers to confirm if they're the internationals.

It appears to carry a pretty hefty price over the "standard" -78 and -79 U.S. parts, so I may be on the right track.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Alright, I'm also doing some emailing to some online parts dealers regarding my research on the international version to see if I can score a confirmation, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
Did they sell the TB in south America?

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Ok
We got them ugly ass taillights everywhere here in Sweden. Wouldn't be any problems to point you I the right direction to buy a used pair from here.

But may a ask WHY!! do you want a pair of these?.

Reactions: Playsinsnow

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
If you have to have amber turnsignals where you are just do what we do here on imported TB:s.
You just have to relocate the turnsignals wires to your backup light and put a amber bulb in there instead of the white one.
Then you get a auxiliary backup light or do a more complicated setup with amber/white switchback leds.

A lot nicer looking than these ugly lights.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
IllogicTC said:
15131582 and 15131583 look promising, but it's extremely hard to find confirmation beyond image results from Google. I would see about calling around and querying about this... well it may be difficult being in Japan to do that. Perhaps someone around here can help make the calls about those part numbers to confirm if they're the internationals.

It appears to carry a pretty hefty price over the "standard" -78 and -79 U.S. parts, so I may be on the right track.
Almost right.

15131582 left and 15097516 right-side is the correct original numbers price $140 a piece used from a 2003

KilluminatiDre

Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
Thanks for getting those part numbers IIIlogic and Harpo! I need them JCI. It's a very thourough inspection and insurance policy that must be renewed every 2 years. On the inspection they pretty much check your car inside and out to make sure that it's safe to be on the road. Pretty much everything they can get to. They're pretty anal about the little things too. When I got my R32 GT-R inspected they sent me back because my reverse lenses were set up UK style, one red and one white and because my shift knob didn't have the gear pattern on it. So I had to drive an hour and switch out the red lense and put a sticker near my shifter. The insurance policy is incase you kill or harm someone in an accident.

SirRobin53

Apr 27, 2014
cut out the lower circle and get an amber truck front round turn signal lens and wse MEK to glue it in? Or use cynoacrilate (super glue)

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
SirRobin53 said:
cut out the lower circle and get an amber truck front round turn signal lens and wse MEK to glue it in?
He said their inspections were pretty stringent, so I am suspect that such a modification may be scrutinized or come up as a failure.

I think the -83 number is an international version of the Bravada, looks like. Got more "oval" lower lenses, I think. Again, this is just Google Images as literally nothing else gives me solid info :rotfl:

SirRobin53

Apr 27, 2014
I didn't mean to cut it out with an ax and use tape :crazy: .....There are quite a few people that do very fine work with custom lighting. Just sayin.. If it is so stringent, why are clear plastic covers allowed? Those things haze over blocking 30% of the light. And THAT looks like $%^&
just sayin..... :rotfl:
http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c439654541 Now....that is nice custom lighting.....

KilluminatiDre

Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
Its just a matter of the turn signals, brake light and reverse light being different colors. The turn signals have to be amber, some cars such as the altezza and s2k come factory with clear lenses.

SirRobin53

Apr 27, 2014
69$ to pass inspection. Cheap investment to put 10,000 car on the road instead of the driveway. And going to remove anyway?..... go ugly and inexpensive unless $$$ is no object :smile:

just hoping to add another thought for consideration along with the other great suggestions so far

KilluminatiDre

Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
SirRobin53 said:
69$ to pass inspection. Cheap investment to put 10,000 car on the road instead of the driveway. And going to remove anyway?..... go ugly and inexpensive unless $$$ is no object :smile:

just hoping to add another thought for consideration along with the other great suggestions so far
Oh I'm with you 100% on that! I'm going the cheapest route as possible since they'll be on there just for that one day. Where did you see those btw? Mainly the first one in the picture.

SirRobin53

Apr 27, 2014
Harpo said:
If you have to have amber turnsignals where you are just do what we do here on imported TB:s.
You just have to relocate the turnsignals wires to your backup light and put a amber bulb in there instead of the white one.
Then you get a auxiliary backup light or do a more complicated setup with amber/white switchback leds.

This is a neat idea as well if one is capable. Somewhat like the new Corvette that uses LED's in the turn signals.White running light till the turn is activated, then flashes amber. Great suggestions here so far. They will help find a solution that will "git 'er done"

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
Harpo said:

Ah, great minds think alike :wink:

r1894 said:
I have had an idea for the longest time of removing the reflectors in the rear bumper and replacing those with LED reverse lights. Just find an adapter to wire them to the trailer light plug thingy. That would be an idea if you choose to go Harpo's route... :biggrin:
I explored that thought...
In the bumper, there is a hole ONLY about 1/2" for the reflector stud.
One would have to cut out the recess in the bumper to make reverse lights there look "factory built".
But then, where would you mount reflectors?

Accessing the reverse light wires from the taillight assy is easier than tapping it from the trailer connector.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
They are looking much better than the euro ones. Our amber turns look almost glued in, and we got a foglight on the drivers side instead of backup light.

Dec 17, 2011
LAGNY SUR MARNE FRANCE
It's very difficult to find the great french rear taillight french model.
Because the rear frog red light is in the left side down et the back up light is on the right white down position.

And i dont like them.... :no:
I prefer the us model!

Reactions: dmanns67

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I have been thinking about his topic recently.

Id like to use the bumper reflector as a reverse and brake light, so what is best :

1) Dremel open the back of the reflector and slip in a few LED panels. Glue/silicone them tight and wire them in parallel to the reverse light just above.

2) Simply remove the reflectors from the bumper and install a proper set of fog lights at the same location.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I had considered modding my reflectors to be backlit via LED when turning on the fogs, but I never got around to actually adding fog lights to my TB in the first place. Oh well.

Reactions: paul2005tb

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Are you leaving the factory turn signals visible. Would affect viability when flashing after going over small hill.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I was planning on putting a fog light (I can get a pair that will fit at less than 2 inches by 4 inches ) in the exact location of the reflectors. Harbor freight sells a pair that will fit but the shape is not a match.

I would have to remove the reflectors . If I keep the reflectors as is I'd have to figure out a location for the new foglights and modify the bumper to accommodate.

I know others have installed the fogs under the vehicle below and behind the bumper.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you do it, the easiest way to wire the backup lights is to use the wiring at the trailer connector.

Reactions: paul2005tb

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online