Aluminum Spare

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by l008com, Nov 6, 2016.

1. l008com

l008com Well-Known Member

I was thinking of ways to lighten up my truck, and it occurred to me that my spare tire's wheel is steel. Does anyone know how much that steel wheel weighs? And how much does a 17" oem aluminum wheel weighs? Actually, is my spare even 17"? I guess I should climb under there and check it out. But this seems like a pretty easy and cheap way to shave a few pounds.

2. jsheahawk

jsheahawk Well-Known Member

I'd say take your bathroom scale out to the garage, pull off the spare, then pull off one of your wheels. Let us know.

3. l008com

The problem with that plan is that my spare tire is whatever skinny 245 tire the truck came with, and all the rest of my tires are 275 on/off roads. And I have no easy way to mount and unmount tires on my own.

4. carshinebob

carshinebob Well-Known Member

This has got me to thinking. Five years ago I was driving a Cadillac SRX. it had an aluminum six bolt skinny spare. I wonder if one of those would work? ~BOB

5. jsheahawk

jsheahawk Well-Known Member

Well, hell.

6. Martyelzz4

Martyelzz4 Member

The problem I see with the SRX wheels is this:
    http://www.wheelsupport.com/

MODEL YEAR BOLT PAT. STUD SIZE HUB/CENTER BORE OFFSET
    SRX 04-UP 6×115 12×1.5 70.3 H
    RAINIER 04-UP 6×127 12×1.5 78.3 H
    The wheelsupport dot com is a real nice resource!

Jan-Åke_Klement and xavierny25 like this.
  7. djthumper

djthumper Administrator

Admin Post
    Weight it with the tires on... You cannot fit too large of a tire under the TB anyhow. I have

8. l008com

I'm sure the aluminum wheels with the new tires will weigh more than the dry-rotted old spare. Weighing them with the tires on really won't tell me anything useful.

But maybe theres an easier way. Is there a part number list for the various wheels? Including the spare rim? I could look up the weights online potentially.

Lastly, assuming I do determine that the aluminum wheel is light enough that it's worth the effort to make the switch, is an aluminum wheel used as a spare going to have any corrosion issues being under the truck like that?

9. Sparky

Sparky Moderator

My 02 had an aluminum 16" spare wheel. It wasn't in any worse shape than a steel wheel would be under there. Probably better honestly.

l008com likes this.
  10. northcreek

northcreek Well-Known Member

Have you considered going with run flat tires and eliminating the spare altogether ? assuming that they make them in your size.

11. l008com

My tires are new on-off road, so I won't be replacing them again any time soon. Plus I would assume run flats are only available on highway rated tires?

12. northcreek

northcreek Well-Known Member

No, I think Hummers have RF tires.

13. djthumper

djthumper Administrator

Admin Post
    The weight of the rim and tire will tell you if there is a weight difference. YOu will also know the weight of your setup.

14. l008com

I feel like I'm missing something. How is weighing the wheels & tires going to tell me if there is a weight difference, if the lighter wheels have the heavier tires, and theres no way to know exactly how heavy either of the tires are?

15. littleblazer

littleblazer Gold Supporter

Weigh the tire plus rim, look up the tire online and I'm sure you can find the weight and subtract it. There's your rim weight. I would think that the weight difference between the steel spare rim and aluminum oem rims isn't going to be much. If it's ten pounds I'd be shocked. Heck, I'd be shocked if it's five pounds.

xavierny25, northcreek and djthumper like this.
  16. C-ya

C-ya Well-Known Member

My 17" aluminum wheel came in at 21 or 22 lbs, IIRC. Someone else asked before and I had just bought a stock set for my snow tires. I put an All-Season (on a stock al. wheel) under my truck as a spare when I switched them around last month since the steel wheel was rusted to hell and the spare tire was a Continental that was older age-wise than any other tire I had - although it looked damned good.