Air intake question?

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
I was planning on putting on a better flowing intake. I have seen people put on a pipe that connects directly to the throttle body, and have also seen people put a pipe that connects to the plastic plenum? that says vortec on it. Would connecting directly to the throttle body benefit anything? Any advice would be great thanks.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It changes the sound but does nothing for performance. Getting a good filter like Green or one of the quality dry ones is the only real benefit to the intake.

Reactions: Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I did cut out the internal structure of the stock box a bit and open up the front, but not sure it did much.

A PCM tune is far best bang for buck performance

Reactions: Blckshdw

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Like Kyle stated there's really no difference. Between an intake that attaches right to Air Box vs. one that attatches directly to the throttle body. It's just more of a preference thing. I have an intake that attaches directly to the throttle body. Its just more visually appealing and it makes things sounds better.
Green Filter seems to be the best, thats the consensus around here.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I actually saw lower MPG because I just liked hearing it so mashed the pedal a bit more :biggrin:. It's all just for show and sound.

Reactions: Capote and Blckshdw

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
I was planning on a better intake setup, just didn't know if one would do better than the other. So a Green filter, and all the pipe to go either to the intake box, or throttle body....since there seems to be no difference. I already had a new muffler put on, and had the resonator cut off. Now I'm thinking a high flow cat, and maybe a throttle body spacer. Then I will get a tune. How do you go about getting a tune for these?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I thought someone said you lose a little bottom end torque removing the box and going with a straight tube. I could be remembering wrong though. I think any gains will be well outside of where you'd normally drive anyway.

I don't really think throttle body spacers do anything on these trucks since the injectors are past the throttle body and it's not going to help with fuel atomization?

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
Thanks a lot for that info guys. I guess I'll ditch the tb spacer......I had a couple buddies telling me about how much power they added to their trucks......lol So is adding an intake tube, and green filter going to help any, or not? I was just bored the last few days....So I have been tinkering with the trailblazer, and finding some stuff to do...lol Definitely gonna get a tune, but want to do all the mods I'm thinking of before the tune.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It may help if you get it tuned with an intake in mind possibly. If you mash the pedal off every light and really let it scream then yes. It'll help some. But anything under that you'll probably never notice. But if you like the sound...

Exactly. Only thing they hardly work on is carbureted setups. Save the money and put it towards a tune.
I've heard they work on boats that have the intake and exhaust cast into the same manifold. :2thumbsup: it's like a baby high rise intake.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
My take on cold air intakes are the same as every one elses. You lose power on the low end of the rpm band but have a gain on the high end and additional noise when the intake resonator is removed.

The legnth of the intake and intake plenum determins where the most power is made in the rpm band. A shorter run will make more power in the low end while longer losing on the high end. A longer run will lose in the low end while there is a gain in the high end.

Not GM but Nissan Maxima. I experimented with cold air intakes because i beat the shit out of the car at drag and autocross tracks. When i put the cold air intake on i immediately noticed that there was less wheel spin at 80% throttle but when the RPM got up to 3.5k the "butt dyno" felt like it had more power past that. Then at 4.5k rpm the Maxima had VAIS(Variable Air Intake Solenoid) that opened a butterfly to simulate a few inches added to the intake plenum. When that happened the noise from the cold air intake would get much louder and the "butt dyno" felt like it had a big bump in power from 4.5k to 6.5k rpm. Some people would remove the VIAS and install a block off plate in its place. I wouldnt pay $200 for a piece of CNC'd aluminum. But if i did i could only guess that it would decrease the power on the low end even more but a small gain on the high end.

Intake spacers were availble for the Maxima as well. It is correct that they do not help in the atomization of fuel because of fuel injection. The only thing that they are good for is to reduce air intake temperatures by a few degrees by separating the direct metal on metal contact thus reducing heat transfer from the engine to throttle body.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

'Nuff said.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
The only intakes that actually make a difference are "ram air intakes" like below IMO.
124144d1299611550-2-3-cold-air-intake-march-performance-1410.jpeg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online