Aftermath of SK4L60E Installation...

Dalton Mathison

Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
South Dakota
For the past two days, a buddy of mine and I tackled installing the shift kit into my 03 Trailblazer EXT 5.3L. I didn't do a majority of the under-car work because of my back injury, but I did most of the work on the valve body and everything else, buddy just put it back together. Once it was all put together, I filled the trans up with some fluid, and put it in gear. Now, the truck was up on jack stands on all four wheels, so none were touching the ground. It was 1:30 in the morning, so I put it in gear on the stands and tapped the gas a little bit, the wheel spun. So I shut it down for the night and came out the next morning and warmed it up and topped the fluid off. Got it off the stands, and now it won't move. Jacked it back up, and with the weight of the truck on stands and not the tires, the wheels spun again. So, I got irritated and climbed back under it and took the pan off. First thing I noticed was the manual valve shift lever wasn't connected. Could this be what's causing my problem? If this isn't, does anybody have any ideas on why it won't move with it's weight on it?
Thanks!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Things I'd check is to make sure ALL the bolts are in the right places on the valve body. Some are longer, some are shorter. Bolts in the wrong place will keep it from working right.

Also anything disconnected could be an issue also.

Reactions: Dalton Mathison

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
If this little metal piece is what you're talking about, I would imagine it is crucially important since it is the only way the physical position of the shift lever is translated to the transmission.
The bad news is, it can only be re-connected with the valve body dropped (trust me, I learned the hard way after forgetting to connect it myself).
linkage.JPG

I'm no trans expert, but I did install the SK4L60E last year among other trans components. I'd certainly check "little" things such as the position of the check balls, and the position of the bolts (some are different lengths).

Dalton Mathison

Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
South Dakota
If this little metal piece is what you're talking about, I would imagine it is crucially important since it is the only way the physical position of the shift lever is translated to the transmission.
The bad news is, it can only be re-connected with the valve body dropped (trust me, I learned the hard way after forgetting to connect it myself).
View attachment 81327

I'm no trans expert, but I did install the SK4L60E last year among other trans components. I'd certainly check "little" things such as the position of the check balls, and the position of the bolts (some are different lengths).
It was the manual valve. My "friend" told me that he could not get it hooked in and that it didn't control anything anyway. Well, after I re-dropped the pan and the valve body, I went back through the VB to make sure I didn't mess anything up, and then I actually installed the lever onto the manual valve and put it back together. Didn't get my hopes up as I figured I was gonna have to get a transmission for it, but once it was put back together with the valve actually hooked up, it drove amazingly. Been driving it for a few days now and it's never shifted better. Thanks everyone for all the replies, this is now one of my favorite websites.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
It was the manual valve. My "friend" told me that he could not get it hooked in and that it didn't control anything anyway

Nothing personal, but that would be the last time I let him near that trans...lol.

Glad to hear all is well. Re-check the fluid again!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online