advantages of changing to: 6bolt-5.5in rims

paul2005tb

Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Is anyone using the spacer that changes to the 6-5.5in rim type (GM 1500 sized truck rim) . Im thinking of doing this in order to get the benefit of more and cheaper rim options. ( I cant find a thread on this topic)

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
If you're looking for advantages like the title leads me to believe, I'd say you nailed them in your post.

Might go through wheel bearings a little quicker do to the wheel being further from the hub. I'd make sure to use a torque wrench and torque it all to spec (100 ft. lbs.) to lessen the chance of shearing studs, again due to the extra force from the wheel being further from the hub. Studs can also shear without adapters/spacers if not torqued properly.

Reactions: paul2005tb

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have used them for at least 5 years. Would never go back. I bet there are well over 100 of us that do and there has never been any issue other than a couple user installation errors.

They stand up to scores of us abusing them offroad. MarkMC is the vendor many of us use. Tell him I sent you. Some spend more and buy Freds and some take chance on eBay ones, but Mark likely has the most sets in use many times over.

paul2005tb

Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Many thanks, I want a winter set of tires and my brother has 4 steel rims from his old 1500 that he is giving me for free :smile: so why not get the adapter for it and give it a try. So far the only con is the cost of the adapters. I am also planning a lift and need to replace struts and rear shocks while Im at it. It would be great to do it all in one day. Amassing all tools now. Id like to understand each and every step before I put her on the jack stands. Still need to decide on lift type/height as well as front strut type and rear shocks.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
i only have experience with marks adaptors, but others may have the same issue. you will need to make sure they are completely seated and torqued. mine went on hard enough that it shaved metal off the inside of the adapter going on the first time. and same putting the wheels on. very tight fit.

put them on, drive around a very little bit, torque the adaptor again, and repeat again after 5-10 miles. there might be a better way to do it, but it took a bit too get mine seated right. still takes a bit of kicking to get my tires off.

Reactions: paul2005tb

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.