Adding air to rear suspension when compressor fails?

Mike1973

Original poster
May 28, 2016
Ontario
Hey guys,
Just bought a 2002 Bravada for parts, the rear air suspension is done (compressor wont come on) so its sitting on the frame. I need to drive it 45 minutes to get it home, anyone know of an easy way to add air to get the thing off the frame? I'm prepared to drive it as it sits but could be a long harsh ride home.
Thanks

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
There should be a fitting in the back with and a hose for airing up tires. I think it is in the passenger side rear compartment.

You could maybe try putting air in back there but I'm not sure how the system is set up.

Chance are that the reason the compressor doesn't run is because the air bags are leaking and made the compressor run too much. So, if you do get air in there it will probably leak right out.

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
A woman who parks next to my building has been driving her Envoy with no air in the bags for about six months now. So I guess it's possible. Just take it easy.

Mike1973

Original poster
May 28, 2016
Ontario
There should be a fitting in the back with and a hose for airing up tires. I think it is in the passenger side rear compartment.

You could maybe try putting air in back there but I'm not sure how the system is set up.

Chance are that the reason the compressor doesn't run is because the air bags are leaking and made the compressor run too much. So, if you do get air in there it will probably leak right out.
Yeah, I was hoping I could just add air there but like you I'm not sure if the system has some sort of check valve to prevent it. Oh well, guess Ill give it a try when I pick it up, cant hurt anything.
Cheers

Mike1973

Original poster
May 28, 2016
Ontario
Well got it home, was quite the ride. For the record, you can't just add air through the valve in the back. On a positive note after having a quick look I noticed the fuse was blown, perhaps the compressor is still good and there is just a short in the wiring. That would be a plus!

Reactions: m.mcmillen
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I drove my 9-7x about 40 miles on New England backroads after the passenger side bag refused to hold air. I pulled the fuse to save the compressor and drove on, it was bouncy and it killed the shocks, but I made it home fine.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And then rip that POS system out and put in springs.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Personally I think that the air ride system is well thought out and for me it has always functioned perfectly.
Having to repair a failed system on a 2002 vehicle doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
If you look at the custom car/truck builders they bag almost everything albeit for different reasons...but, that's just me...Mike.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
I wouldn't trade my adjustable air suspension, very nice with different weights of trailers.

When my compressor bit the dust I got a kit at the local auto parts shop that was a T, some extra tubing and a schraeder valve to manually fill with my garage air compressor. Fair warning, the hose size on the kit was a smidge smaller then factory, so I had to use a drill bit to ream them out a bit.

For a long term solution, I added a simple compressor and control panel in the back so I can just fill and deflate as I need. Wish I still had the factory, but this was less then 100.00 versus 500.00. Thread http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/rear-air-suspension-compressor-mod.15141/

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online