A/C Service Valve defective

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Hey there. Been a while since my last post.

Quick story-
Bought truck in winter, didn't really test A/C
Used A/C first time today (per wife), no cold air. (checked fuse, relay... good)
Found no refrigerant in system
There is 2 valves, 1 looks like a tire valve steam, the other a weird rubber piece.
Looks to be service valve leaking. When I removed the cap, I could hear it's faint hiss.

My questions-
Can I just go into a local store like autozone and ask for a service valve, and they know what I mean. Or is there a different name?

Are these the same?
2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500 A/C Service Valve at 1AAuto.com
---
AC Delco 15-5438 A/C Valve Core | Auto Parts Warehouse

Can I replace with the other valve type and prevent this from happening in the future?
2003 GMC YUKON XL 1500 A/C System Valve Core and Cap Kit

Here's a couple pics.

Pointing to defective valve-
2wgzv4j.jpg

Looking down into defective valve-
302pelx.jpg

Thanks!
Outlaw

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
outlaw said:
Can I just go into a local store like autozone and ask for a service valve, and they know what I mean. Or is there a different name?

They can be called service ports, service fittings, or service valves. The autozone/advanced auto by me doesn't sell them, they only sell the ports for the r134a conversions. I get them from napa.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

Do you or anyone know if this port can just be sealed?
or
Can it be replaced with the other valve type (looks like a tire valve/core)?

Thanks again,
Outlaw

c good

Dec 8, 2011
The cap that you removed is the secondary seal. It's normal for them to leak ever so slightly and not uncommon for them to let out a faint hiss when removed. Unless the thing is flowing out gas, it's probably not the problem. Do a pressure check on both the high and low side ports and go from there.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
outlaw said:
Can it be replaced with the other valve type (looks like a tire valve/core)?

The valve cores for AC systems are specific and use a different type of material than tire valve stems. So no.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online