99 suburban k1500 4x4 starter

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Just a quick post for google's sake,

If you have a 99 suburban k1500 4x4 with the 5.7 liter engine, you can use a direct drive starter to replace the reduction gear starter (if yours was equipped with one). Its an exact fit, no modifications required. I'm not sure if there's anything different about going from direct drive to reduction gear, as that's not what I did. The only thing i can think of is you might have to use different mounting bolts.

This might work for the same engine in other models, I don't know.

tags: 350 chevrolet 1500

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Aren't PMGR and DD compatible with each other?
I'm guessing yes, but the information wasnt readily available when i went searching for it the other day, took a little digging to find. I'm assuming there may be some instances as well where you cant swap them because of the size difference.

I mainly posted this so it would come up in search results if anybody else comes across the question in the future. Also, because the guy at advance auto told me that they werent, lol.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
I'm guessing yes, but the information wasnt readily available when i went searching for it the other day, took a little digging to find. I'm assuming there may be some instances as well where you cant swap them because of the size difference.

I mainly posted this so it would come up in search results if anybody else comes across the question in the future. Also, because the guy at advance auto told me that they werent, lol.

Well I work at O'Reilly and our computer shows both. I think they're interchangeable but that's just a guess based on a quick Google. When/if ever my starter dies I'll experiment.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Well I work at O'Reilly and our computer shows both. I think they're interchangeable but that's just a guess based on a quick Google.

Theirs did too, but the guy told me they weren't. I sort of already knew he was wrong, but i researched it anyway to make sure i wasnt left high and dry.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.