1. We are working on the forum's attachment system. Attachments and avatars will be intermittently affected over the next 24 hours.
    Dismiss Notice

99 suburban k1500 4x4 starter

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by DDonnie, Nov 29, 2016.

1. DDonnie

DDonnie Well-Known Member

Just a quick post for google's sake,

If you have a 99 suburban k1500 4x4 with the 5.7 liter engine, you can use a direct drive starter to replace the reduction gear starter (if yours was equipped with one). Its an exact fit, no modifications required. I'm not sure if there's anything different about going from direct drive to reduction gear, as that's not what I did. The only thing i can think of is you might have to use different mounting bolts.

This might work for the same engine in other models, I don't know.

tags: 350 chevrolet 1500

2. shovenose

shovenose Well-Known Member

Aren't PMGR and DD compatible with each other?

DDonnie likes this.
  3. DDonnie

I'm guessing yes, but the information wasnt readily available when i went searching for it the other day, took a little digging to find. I'm assuming there may be some instances as well where you cant swap them because of the size difference.

I mainly posted this so it would come up in search results if anybody else comes across the question in the future. Also, because the guy at advance auto told me that they werent, lol.

4. shovenose

shovenose Well-Known Member

Well I work at O'Reilly and our computer shows both. I think they're interchangeable but that's just a guess based on a quick Google. When/if ever my starter dies I'll experiment.

5. DDonnie

Theirs did too, but the guy told me they weren't. I sort of already knew he was wrong, but i researched it anyway to make sure i wasnt left high and dry.