8.6 Rear - Factory on SWB?

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Hey everyone. I have been reading up on the differentials on my 07 SWB LT Trailblazer due to the repeat front differential jobs that had to be done and I am finding it odd that my truck has an 8.6" rear ring gear when it seems alot of them of this type were built with the 8.0". Did GM change something around 07? When I went to get a new rear cover for it about 2 years ago at a dealer for a fluid change it ended up being the one for an 8.0" and the ring gear carved a gouge in it (which I did not discover until another year. Lucky thing no damage...). I ended up giving them the actual part number for the 8.6" rear cover and it has been fine ever since. My glovebox label says GU6 but is it possible to have this ring gear with this ratio? I cannot find any numbers on the axle tube or carrier, just "Powerlite" on the case. Before I consider this project done once and for all I just want to verify..... Thanks

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
My 07 Envoy Denali 5.3 has GU6(locker) 3:42 ratio and a 8.6" ring gear, so yes it is possible.
You don't mention if you have the I6 or V8, which might make a difference. Other members will know the applications for the various rear ends and clear this up further...Mike.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
All 5.3 SWB trucks got a 8.6" rear.

It is also possible a previous owner stuck an 8.6" rear under it as well. I put an 8.6 under mine when my original 8.0 started howling like a banshee.

Reactions: djthumper

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
EXT/XL trucks also got it, which is why it's an easy upgrade. The Saabs got limited slip diffs instead of the G80 locker.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Saab and SS would be a limited slip rear (G86) instead of a locking rear (G80)

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online