5.3 Oil dipstick extension

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Sorry for another 5.3 newbie question. Surprised at how deep you have to dig to get the oil dipstick. Tranny stick is fine. Anyone created or found a source for a longer stick....meaning just the part with finger grab above the o-ring. Sure would be nice.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't think anything exists just for the pull ring but I would imagine there might be a whole dipstick and tube from another model truck that might be longer than what's in out trucks, maybe a full size or a van. I find it a pain to get it back into the tube.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
If you guide the stick back to the top edge of the tube w/ thumb / forefinger, while bowing the stick 45 degrees or so, it'll go back in much easier.

It that doesn't work, the suggestion of a stick tube transplant might work. Take a tape measure w/ you to the pick-n-pull and compare old to new before you pull.
Actually, if it's longer, you could take the new tube, cut the top off, flare the lower end a little bit so that it fits over the old tube, then clamp them together. Obviously, measurements need to be taken before doing this.

Reactions: Capote

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I agree this is pita. Especially trying to check the oil in lower lighting. They could have at least put an under-hood light. Oh - and the tab that sticks out and rips the skin off your finger when the dipstick is sorta stuck is the icing on the cake.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's not fun unless you draw blood :hissyfit:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just looked at a 4.8 Silverado and it has a nice long dipstick. Why they made ours so short is a mystery.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online