5.3 oil burning question

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
My son took his 09 Silverado in under warranty because it was consuming oil and the first fix(in a long list) for this is changing the valve cover to one with an improved internal baffle.This is understandable but,they did something else which we don't understand.
They pulled the plugs and injected something into the cylinders which then had to sit for a day before he got it back.It seems to be OK as far as the oil consumption but, does anyone know what the liquid in the cylinder thing is all about:confused:...Mike.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
The oil control rings stick. So by a TSB you are to replace the valve cover to correct oil ingestion through the PCV system. Then you remove the plugs and inject GM TOP ENGINE CLEANER into the cylinders. Then you let it sit for up to but no more than 3hrs. Remove the cleaner by cranking engine without the plugs in. Reinstall the plugs and test drive. So I ask for the truck all day so the customer is not sitting around the shop for 4-5 hrs.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
mrphoenix80 said:
The oil control rings stick. So by a TSB you are to replace the valve cover to correct oil ingestion through the PCV system. Then you remove the plugs and inject GM TOP ENGINE CLEANER into the cylinders. Then you let it sit for up to but no more than 3hrs. Remove the cleaner by cranking engine without the plugs in. Reinstall the plugs and test drive. So I ask for the truck all day so the customer is not sitting around the shop for 4-5 hrs.

Thanks!....makes sense now,Mike.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah it would, if that is the source of the trouble.

Mine started using oil really badly in my 07 Silverado, I tuned out AFM and that pretty much stopped it. Still have the old valve cover on there, I put a catch can in and it collects some gunk but not a whole lot, so I figure the valve cover is fine. And I dropped my oil usage from 2 quarts in 3k to 1/2 quart in 8k.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online