4 Wheel drive issues

tert72

Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
IL
Hello all! I am new here and wanted to say hello and wow there is a lot of good info on this site!
here is my issue, well my 02 envoy had been sitting for a year and i guess the TCCm was bad for awhile before i parked it. well i replaced the tccm and got my lights back on the 4 wheel drive switch.
well it goes to awd fine, and i can hear the whirring to go to 4 hi and 4 lo but the lights blink and i get the 4 wheel drive error on the dash.
my question is , what kind of maintenance can i do to replace the lubricants to see if that is all it needs? i really need to get under it and replace all the lubes anyway.
thanks all and glad to be here :smile:
oh and im letting my parents borrow the car, they are a couple hours away so anything i do is usually over the weekend.

Terry
02 envoy
260k miles

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Rebuild the splined disco with some fresh grease.

AutoTrak II in the transfer case.

tert72

Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
IL
thank you much, just got a message from my dad, rear ended someone.. didnt even have the car for 2 weeks!!!!
hopefully no mechanical damage, looks like passenger fender, hood, bumper and headlight damaged only.... says it drives normally still.... gah so pissed off

Attachments

• 20160428_1446301.jpg
    20160428_1446301.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20160428_1446371.jpg
    20160428_1446371.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 9

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
thank you much, just got a message from my dad, rear ended someone.. didnt even have the car for 2 weeks!!!!
hopefully no mechanical damage, looks like passenger fender, hood, bumper and headlight damaged only.... says it drives normally still.... gah so pissed off

Damn that blows. Hope everyone involved is okay.

tert72

Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
IL
ya the guy he hit, took off. so not sure what the deal with that was, dad is fine, hes just as pissed as me. he is so used to driving smaller cars, sunfire, cobalt, i warned him, envoy brakes a lot slower than what he is used to driving. he does love to wait till the last second to brake... but all is fine. just gotta do some more work to the envoy now :smile:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Ouch! Well that sucks! Um... not to be mean, but he IS going to pay to fix it right? I mean, he's the one who busted it up...

Makes you think that the guy he hit was an illegal or had no license or something if he took off like that!

Once you get it all fixed if you need any parts from the 4x4 system I'm parting out my 02 Trailblazer so I have just about everything (and it all works). Maybe you'll be lucky and it is just the actuator on the disconnect that's bad and not the whole thing, but if it is, you can rebuild yours or get a replacement (like mine! lol).

We're here to help you out.

tert72

Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
IL
yes his insurance is covering it :biggrin: he has allstate so hopefully they give him that accident forgiveness .... should be all good. i am just enjoying working on a car again.... forgot how much i missed it.

Reactions: Denali n DOO

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
Sucks about the wreck, but glad everyone was okay. Front axle disconnect is probably where the 4wd issue lies. If it isn't just the actuator, and you need to replace the actual disconnect unit, it'd be worth it to go ahead and replace the right front hub and bearing assembly while you're there...

tert72

Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
IL
wheel bearing assembly? both arent that old at all ... less than 10k miles on both im pretty sure.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
No worries about those then.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online