4.2L I6 Head Removal/Engine Restoration

GCTB1289

Mar 19, 2012
strat81 said:
Perhaps you should chock the wheels. You can buy plastic ones, or just just a 12" length of 4x4 lumber.

was about to say the thing haha. or you could use some of the old parts that your getting rid of lol. old starters work wonders as chocks lol

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
strat81 said:
Perhaps you should chock the wheels. You can buy plastic ones, or just just a 12" length of 4x4 lumber.

We had the rear wheels secured, we didn't think about bricking down the front though until after it dropped last night. All is well, next time we'll double tap before we assume it's in park. :smile:

If you guys are watching the broadcast tonight, I'll show you what I'm talking about as well as the spray work we did on the valve cover. -Octane

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
We're going live now!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Motor's in!! Radiator went untouched yet again. No issues at all..

Voymom and Phantom, pay up! Maybe next time guys!

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
Motor's in!! Radiator went untouched yet again. No issues at all..

Voymom and Phantom, pay up! Maybe next time guys!

You'll get your money :biggrin:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347849567.285158.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347849567.285158.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 110

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347853386.830556.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347853386.830556.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 109

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Question...

Don't laugh.

Not having freon in the truck after we fire it back up won't throw an engine code, will it?.. I'm just saying.. About two pounds of it ended up being released into the atmosphere recently (highly illegal in NC)

We've got a blacklight in the garage. Everything glowed :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nah, no codes. Just no A/C. Mine was empty for over a year until I replaced the evaporator this summer.

Alright. You did it with the radiator in. Anything happening tonight? BTW, how did it go with the bellhousing bolts? Those top ones are a bitch, eh?

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Mooseman said:
Nah, no codes. Just no A/C. Mine was empty for over a year until I replaced the evaporator this summer.

Alright. You did it with the radiator in. Anything happening tonight? BTW, how did it go with the bellhousing bolts? Those top ones are a bitch, eh?

Sweet! That's good to know! Yeah.. We're having it replaced along with every other fluid that's going in here in a couple of days. Free of charge of course! :biggrin:

Yes, it went in without even touching the radiator. Our method to the madness? We first removed the a/c compressor along with the driver side motor mount to gain more clearance. Then, we readjusted the chain to wrap around the top of the motor as opposed to the sides. Once we lifted it up high enough, I pressed forward hard enough for Mike underneath to pull towards the tranny. Once I lowered it, everything lined up beautifully.

Oh, and one last thing. The bell housing bolts were MUCH easier to deal with this time around! We used a swivel extension and noticed it made things A LOT easier to screw back in and tighten down.

I'm in the garage right now as we speak. The only reason I haven't gone live over the camera is because all I'm doing is reinstalling everything. Nothing special! I was actually going to go live again towards the end of this week to allow everyone to witness the motor firing up for the first time since it rolled into the garage..

If you guys want me to go live, just say yes and I'll turn the camera on now! -Octane

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
View attachment 22883

The new starter's in place.. One part at a time.. The wrench just keeps turning..

Stay tuned for the season finale of As the Wrench Turns as Lee and Mike battle it out to the death while forcing the motor to breath life once more.. Will the engine explode after they attempt to crank it? Will OnStar send out a secret security detail to blow up the Trailblazer? Will Voymom and Phantom own up to a lost bet and mail Mike that $5? Stay tuned for the season finale!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347927511.979162.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347927511.979162.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 121

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
View attachment 9347

The new starter's in place.. One part at a time.. The wrench just keeps turning..

Stay tuned for the season finale of As the Wrench Turns as Lee and Mike battle it out to the death while forcing the motor to breath life once more.. Will the engine explode after they attempt to crank it? Will OnStar send out a secret security detail to blow up the Trailblazer? Will Voymom and Phantom own up to a lost bet and mail Mike that $5? Stay tuned for the season finale!

Phantom didn't bet lol I did...and your money will be sent out Thursday when Phantom finally has a day off :biggrin: Tell Mike to keep a look out for a box....yes I said a box :wink:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Guys, we're trying to find the bolt specs for the camshaft bolts! We've already tightened the headbolts down and turned to the appropriate angles, now we just need the camshaft bolt specs! -Octane

TBGal

Sep 14, 2012
camshaft bolt specs...I just looked in the 2006 service manual I downloaded but only saw the 5.3L engine, not the 4.2. Sorry.

I just wanted to say good luck to you. I have been following this thread and hope your restored engine runs like it is new once you get it started back up.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
TBGal said:
camshaft bolt specs...I just looked in the 2006 service manual I downloaded but only saw the 5.3L engine, not the 4.2. Sorry.

I just wanted to say good luck to you. I have been following this thread and hope your restored engine runs like it is new once you get it started back up.

I suppose we'll find out once we turn the key eh? Thanks for the good word!

Let's go GMTN, google isn't on my side tonight! I'm looking for the specs right now while Mike finishes tightening down the engine mount brackets..

TBGal

Sep 14, 2012
According to the Haynes manual:

camshaft cap bolts....106 in-lbs

camshaft sprocket bolts...
intake...step 1)...15
step 2)...tighten an additional 100-degrees

exaust...step 1)...18
step 2)...tighten an additional 135-degrees

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
I suppose we'll find out once we turn the key eh? Thanks for the good word!

Let's go GMTN, google isn't on my side tonight! I'm looking for the specs right now while Mike finishes tightening down the engine mount brackets..

I'm looking!!!!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Now we're going somewhere.. I need confirmation on those being the correct specs for the 4.2L..

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
Now we're going somewhere.. I need confirmation on those being the correct specs for the 4.2L..

Looks good...

TBGal

Sep 14, 2012
Note: one foot-pound (ft-lb) of torque is equivalent to 12-inch-pouds (in-lbs) of torque. Torque values below approx 15 ft-lbs are expressed in inch-pounds, since most foot-pound torque wrenches are not accurate at these smaller values.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Just about called you as TBGal put them up! Good luck!

Chilton manual says the same bud

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Ok.. The torque wrench we're using goes down to five ft lbs. 106 in lbs equals about 8.8 ft lbs..

Tightening now.. Tango!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Exhaust manifold on with new gasket, a/c compressor on, camshaft bolts and headbolts torqued to spec, power steering bracket going back on...

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Power steering is on, water pump pulley is on, air pump with new gasket is on, tensioner pulley's on, iridium spark plugs are back in, wiring for driver side currently being reconnected, thermostat is on, upper radiator hose on, alternator on......

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
We're halted for the night. The bottom screw to the upper radiator hose broke off into the head. We got it loose but can't seem to twist it all the way out. I'm not worried about it though, tomorrow I'll have to replace the bolt I broke probably from the dealership..

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
Sorry for the :hijack: but I HAD to

strat81 said:
Mooseman said:
strat81 said:
Darn canucks and their metric dollars. :wink:

Which are worth more than the US Pesos. Heading to NY to shop right now :wootwoot:
:frown:

I've been looking for a new camera for myself and a big screen tv for the kids for Xmas...I'm down for that trip. :biggrin: I mean hey it's only taken us 40 years to get there since the last time, so I may as well enjoy it while it lasts!!

McGMT said:
Little off topic I know BUT!.... I visited Canadia once... Knew some people up there and stayed with them. One day I let them drive my ride because well, they knew where we were going... Next thing were going down the highway 80MPH... He looks at me after a bit and says, wait, were going pretty damn fast, passing everyone, is your speedo off? I said no, its not... He says, well it says were going 80 but it seems more like 120... I said WTF are you talking about, that thing is in MPH...
Apparently he didn't know that our speedos are in MPH with KPH in the middle in tiny letters. Yea, stupid story but I had to share...

TBGal said:
Note: one foot-pound (ft-lb) of torque is equivalent to 12-inch-pounds (in-lbs) of torque. Torque values below approx 15 ft-lbs are expressed in inch-pounds, since most foot-pound torque wrenches are not accurate at these smaller values.

Cautionary note to the aformentioned Canuck ( who also apparently taught McGMT to spell CANADA :no: ): Please be aware that ft-lb and N-m are NOT the same and if your torque wrench has dual scales just take it to the shop before you embarass us any further:biggrin::rotfl::deadhorse:

I now return you all to "As the wrench turns" :crazy:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Moving on.

The hose that I had connected from the top right side of the radiator that connects to the left side of the head had to come back off last night. The portion that allows the fluid to run into the head has two little inch screws. The one on the top was fine, but the one on bottom broke. I suppose I had it in there too tight.

I've already got a new bolt from the dealership, we pull the loose broken segment out tonight..

What the heck is up with me and breaking bolts.. Why?!??! -Octane

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
Moving on.

The hose that I had connected from the top right side of the radiator that connects to the left side of the head had to come back off last night. The portion that allows the fluid to run into the head has two little inch screws. The one on the top was fine, but the one on bottom broke. I suppose I had it in there too tight.

I've already got a new bolt from the dealership, we pull the loose broken segment out tonight..

What the heck is up with me and breaking bolts.. Why?!??! -Octane

This is why Mat invested in some decent easy out's lol He has a thing with breaking bolts :raspberry: I think it's pretty common as the bolts rust and erode over time. I always have a can of PB blaster, and anti seize :biggrin:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just be sure to use left hand, or reverse, drill bits as you don't want to inadvertently screw that piece of bolt in further. Sometimes just the reverse drill bit will make it come out.

Don't worry, it's not you. Check the package for the new bolt. Probably says "Hecho en Mexico". I've had bolts break by themselves on my truck, like the exhaust manifold bolts and the power steering hoses to rack bolt.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
We used a pair of needle nose pliers and managed to grab hold of it and pull it out! We replaced it with a new bolt and the hose is currently back on! There's three of us here tonight, we're moving really smoothly right now..

If you want to see what's going on, just ask and I'll go live. -Octane

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Disregard my last, there are now four of us..

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348014974.662319.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348014974.662319.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 90

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348015235.438940.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348015235.438940.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 88

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Question.. Where the heck does this go??? We can't remember where we pulled it from?

View attachment 22902

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348016664.772264.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348016664.772264.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 94

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
The 06 chilton manual is showing the same location on the engine block as what I said in the beginning. You might have to take the ALT off to see it.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
Question.. Where the heck does this go??? We can't remember where we pulled it from?

View attachment 9367

Yep, coolant temp sender, behind the alternator....

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
McGMT said:
Yep, coolant temp sender, behind the alternator....

His phone died, so now I can't tell him and he is sitting on the truck looking all over hells half acre for it lol

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Voymom said:
His phone died, so now I can't tell him and he is sitting on the truck looking all over hells half acre for it lol

oh my, that is all....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online