4.2L I6 Head Removal/Engine Restoration

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I see London I see France, I see Lee's underpants :raspberry:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Voymom said:
Glad I didn't make a bet with Fire06 lmao I'd be broke!!!

Are you saying that you did not believe me Voymom and I was right :wootwoot::wootwoot::wootwoot: :raspberry::raspberry::raspberry: . I told you where it was and still you did not believe. Ok I am done gloating :raspberry::raspberry:. Just tried to call Octane because I was late getting to the feed and then had trouble and could not get said feed. So by the way the posts are I assume I was right . Hope it all went well guys I will read about it later.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
The lives stream goes back on @ 8:30 eastern (it's 8:26 now) -Octane

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Fire, I got your voicemail, we found out where the sensor went, get ready to go back over to the live stream and take a look and we'll explain! Thanks brother -Octane

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Fire06 said:
Are you saying that you did not believe me Voymom and I was right :wootwoot::wootwoot::wootwoot: :raspberry::raspberry::raspberry: . I told you where it was and still you did not believe. Ok I am done gloating :raspberry::raspberry:. Just tried to call Octane because I was late getting to the feed and then had trouble and could not get said feed. So by the way the posts are I assume I was right . Hope it all went well guys I will read about it later.

What can I say...I'm stubborn! lol

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
GMpartsdirect.com has the fan shroud for $37.90. We looked at rock auto and didn't see it there.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Dude....just watched the vid and MAN, that sucks about the chain...so the above "pull the motor" comment is obviously not to poke fun at the current situation.

Is there anyway to seperate the chain via a master link? I wouldn't think so but perhaps. I'm slightly worried about the clacking I heard, freaking hope no valves were hit by the pistons.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was thinking the same thing about that clacking. Didn't sound good at all. I don't blame him for taking it to the dealer to get it fixed since getting the timing right is crucial. Again, I just hope nothing got bent.

It was close though :frown:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
I want to thank you all again for everything. You guys have been amazing.. I really appreciate all of you pulling through for me when I needed help and advice. I won't forget it.

We all heard the screech, that was the serpentine belt. The clacking may have been the valves coming in contact with the pistons, but there's no way to tell until they can get the head back off and take a look. Based off of what all I've seen personally with the pistons and valves, those are my last concern. I'm more focused on the head potentially being cracked. The pistons and valves can be replaced, the head is another ball game however. It's going to the dealership from this point, I don't have the time to invest in it after tonight as work has officially kicked back up to speed on me.

Have faith. I never give up. I never back down from any challenge. I believe in what we've already done and taken this whole experience as a major opportunity to LEARN, and that's what's most important. I stripped the entire motor, and did things people told me couldn't be done. I documented every single set back, and all the room for improvement in different areas. I did all this not just for myself, but for YOU GMTN.

The truck will run. That's the bottom line. Until it that happens, I'll be here in the background operating, watching, and persevering. This truck means a lot to me. I couldn't trade it for anything. For some of you out there that understand the connection I'm speaking of, it runs deep. You work hard for something, you take care of it. That's all there is to it.

I'll update this article again once the timing gets set and everything's running smoothly. Until then, keep your heads up. Mine is. -Octane

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I must have missed a lot when I was cleaning the house and walking the dog.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Gave it the ole college try....

It will run and you definitely got to be proud of what you have done.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Octane;
The video feed was falling in and out for me (old computer), but my feeling is you don't have too much to worry about. The ticking noise, and this is my opinion, were the lifters not pumped up. If it would have run for a few minutes, the noise MAY have stopped.
I never heard the belt screech, don't know what that might have been.
The rest of the members can flame me for this, but my feeling is it wasn't a timing problem. Did you bleed the air from the fuel line?
Being familiar with engines (I was an auto mechanic for 25 years, got out in 1994, so knowledge is a bit dated) I do know some overhead cam engines are real sensitive to being turned in reverse, i.e. when you're adjusting valves (Mercedes was HUGE on this) but from what I saw, you didn't do this.
After all the effort and aggravation you put into this, I hope I'm right.

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
NJTB said:
Octane;
The video feed was falling in and out for me (old computer), but my feeling is you don't have too much to worry about. The ticking noise, and this is my opinion, were the lifters not pumped up. If it would have run for a few minutes, the noise MAY have stopped.

Pretty sure that the I6 has no hydraulic lifters to be pumped up...the DOHC design uses a roller that follows the cam lobes to actuate the valves directly. I didn't follow the video feed to hear the noise being discussed here.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
WarGawd said:
Pretty sure that the I6 has no hydraulic lifters to be pumped up...the DOHC design uses a roller that follows the cam lobes to actuate the valves directly. I didn't follow the video feed to hear the noise being discussed here.

Anyone who missed the live feed can still go back to post 396 and click the link it'll go to the video.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
WarGawd said:

This. Although I'm not sure how the oiling works but it could be that there is no oil pumped up to the heads yet to make it not clatter. Just another crazy thought, I don't know really.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
When you guys put the chain on, did you manually spin the engine 2-3 revolutions and check to see if the marks were still aligned?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Just an update from Octane himself, he called and asked me to tell everyone that the dealership has enlisted a small company/contractor to come out and reset the timing issues on the truck.

He also wanted me to let everyone following this thread, that he is taking a much needed time out of sorts, he is still here, and still plans to continue with everything, but as you all can imagine, he is probably a bit stressed, and isn't really in the position to answer everyone.

So if you would all just bear with him, I will assume that when he is ready, he will come and answer what he can.

Lee- Hope this is okay wording wise, it was hard to understand with the phone cutting in and out lol

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Thanks Voymom for the update. I think we're just upset too and trying to help him as much as we can. I can also understand needing to step away for a bit. Hoping for a positive outcome.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Mooseman said:
Thanks Voymom for the update. I think we're just upset too and trying to help him as much as we can. I can also understand needing to step away for a bit. Hoping for a positive outcome.

I know he appreciates everyone's help with this whole process!

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Yeah that's some serious dedication towards the project, hope all fares well.

Octane, if I were closer I would definitely help you turn some wrenches!!

Can we pull the cover and check the timing marks?

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
The black flag is still flying.. I told you all I wouldn't give up.

Within less than 24 hours, our baby got picked up and transported to a sub-contract company through the dealership. Working with the smaller companies that specialize in dealing with engine internals will be both crucial and beneficial to get the result we want, for a much cheaper price.

I've instructed them NOT to remove the head, yet only the valve cover and front plate. From that point they'll be able to work with the chain, guides and the piston that holds tension in the chain. I suspect while we were lowering the motor down, tension may have come loose which allowed the chain to slip. Everything makes sense, it had nothing to do with any air pockets in the fuel lines, or oil not reaching the cams in time. The cover came off last night, everything was well lubricated.

If we take a moment to refer back to the video, we can hear the motor "run" briefly before it shut down. During those five to six brief seconds, you can hear key indicators that the pistons and valves were out of sync. The process of exhaust and intake were completely backwards (which explains the smell of fuel venting through my CAI).

To my understanding, none of the valves were bent, but then again we couldn't say for sure because the head would yet again have to be removed. If I were a gambling man, I would be willing to bet that the pistons as well as valves are both fine. It wasn't like we had the motor running completely much less we only made the attempt to fire her up a few short times before the signs of obvious timing issues appeared.

There were a few things that have come to mind since engine failure occurred. The crank should have been rotated three to four rotations to ensure proper tension with the timing chain. This was not done. The smaller individual piston that allows tension to be maintained may have been in the unlock position upon dropping the motor back into the bay, which allowed the slippage of chain links. To top everything off, the crank was rotated briefly backwards. Apparently this wasn't supposed to happen, and may have had something to do with our misfire.

The situation is under control. I am actively addressing the issue and will update as I get more word. Thanks guys -Octane

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Update from this morning:

The engine IS RUNNING! The timing was reset and everything seems to be flowing as it should, no leaks, everything's sealed properly. At this time they'll be focusing on conducting a realignment as well as having my tires balanced. Hang in there guys, everything is working out as it should. (All the hard work we put in didn't go in vain after all...) -Octane

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
And by the way, at this time I'm happy to say that there is no longer a misfire with the motor. There was no shaking nor vibrations felt in the steering wheel. She runs like a charm, probably just needed a good cleaning, hah! Alright alright, I'm out of here! -Octane

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348357388.626017.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348357388.626017.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 20

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Hell yes. So many things are going to happen to it once I get back. Say bye bye to that green, the gold will stay though. The green is going to be sprayed metallic black and the gold will be resprayed the same gold color. That way the interior matches the exterior. It'll look sick! As soon as it's done here it goes to be detailed by a shop named buffmasters, the upholstery for the roof is being cleaned and everything inside is being conditioned. So ready!!

GCTB1289

Mar 19, 2012
very nice brother. glad it all worked out for you. this is definitely something that i will be doing when i get to Fort Drum. Probably after i get my motorcycle so i have something for transportation haha. Great thread and looking forward to seeing all up coming work you are doing to it

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Awwww I like green.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's it! It was because of the alignment! These trucks are so finicky on everything :biggrin:

Way to go! I knew you'd pull through. Now just go and enjoy the ride! :wootwoot:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
It's got a lot more giddy-up, that's for sure. It wants to go, it breaths a lot better and is as quiet as feather when at an idle. Thank. God.

I would recommend doing this project only IF you know what you're doing and are knowledgeable of what to expect! Make sure you're not doing it alone and have all your assets lined up. The motor isn't hard to deal with at all and isn't as complex as people have made it out to be! Just take your time, and have fun!

She flys, she's a whole lot quicker and you can feel the power almost instantly! Love it! -Octane

TBGal

Sep 14, 2012
Your updates are so good to hear. :biggrin: These trucks are worth it, in my mind. There just isn't any other vehicle out there right now in its class, use and price range that I like more.

With all the stuff you are going to be doing to the rest of your truck too, you'll have to take it out for a spin to some GMT Nation meets! :cool:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
I'll be in Florida November 17th.. See you guys then if you can make it!

TBGal

Sep 14, 2012
Pinellas Park is a little far from me, especially while I am working full-time and going to school. But, ya'll be sure to post lots of pics up on the forum from the meet!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Mmmm.. Damn I love the taste of Jim Beam.

Hello everyone, I'm here. If you have any questions, I'm right here to answer them! Ask me here or PM me! -Octane

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
Mmmm.. Damn I love the taste of Jim Beam.

Hello everyone, I'm here. If you have any questions, I'm right here to answer them! Ask me here or PM me! -Octane

Did your buddy ever get his money that I owed him? :undecided:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Kessler treating me well

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online