4.2 to 5.3 Swap

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
gmcman said:
As far as your options are concerned.....what about either fixing the 4.2 or picking up one from a junkyard, then sell yours and find a 5.3 truck?

Or donate it, take the tax write off, and same a lot of hassel and time, then go get a v8 equipped 360.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
limequat said:
Erik, I have a local pick-n-pull that has great prices. I cut the engine harness about a foot past the PCM, and the only charged me for the PCM (I didn't want the PCM, I wanted the connectors). :smile:

So I just did a little more research. The car I found was a 2005+ Saturn Ion w/a 2.2 L61. These are ALL OVER the junkyards in my area. I walked past probably half a dozen of these cars. But that's not the good news, the good news is two fold:

1) The 2005+ Ions with the 2.0 have the same connectors as the 2006 4.2 - all three!
2) So do the cobalts!

Edit: This harness is way too expensive but you can see the 2 P12 style connectors. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

So....who knows how to tell the difference between a 2.0 and 2.2 on sight?

Thats great to know, I had no idea those interchanged as well! There arent any good junkyards here in Seattle (shocking right?), if you can get another set of connectors for like $20 Ill pay you for it plus shipping and you can keep the PCM. Then I can build the harness Ive been thinking of and test my theory out. If Im right, then boosting a P10 will be a piece of cake. :cool:

revamp

Dec 22, 2011
Mansfield, TX
Ok guys. I am about a year or so out from having to replace (or rebuild) my engine, and tranny. I have over 220K on my 02 TB. I was considering a V8 swap, but after reading through this thread I am completely up in the air. I drive a lot for work, but love me some outdoor journeys. I have dumped a lot more money into this truck than I originally planned, but love it and would rather not just get rid of it. I am pretty attached now.

I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area. I am looking for a mechanic who knows engine swaps and rebuilds so I can talk to them about costs. I am not going to be racing the truck, I just want solid performance, and a great long-term vehicle.

Thoughts? Did I miss a thread where this is already covered?

Thanks!

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
revamp said:
Ok guys. I am about a year or so out from having to replace (or rebuild) my engine, and tranny. I have over 220K on my 02 TB. I was considering a V8 swap, but after reading through this thread I am completely up in the air. I drive a lot for work, but love me some outdoor journeys. I have dumped a lot more money into this truck than I originally planned, but love it and would rather not just get rid of it. I am pretty attached now.

I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area. I am looking for a mechanic who knows engine swaps and rebuilds so I can talk to them about costs. I am not going to be racing the truck, I just want solid performance, and a great long-term vehicle.

Thoughts? Did I miss a thread where this is already covered?

Thanks!

2006 I6 + turbo. You source the hard parts, lime-swap gives you a tune for $99.

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
hello guys so i have been wanting to do this mod for ever and well might be in luck i have found a 2004 Chevy trailblazer with a 5.3 V8 for sale the truck is f#$%ed but it has every thing i need for the swap and all is in good shape and all he wants is $1500 for the whole thing. not bad????

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
bigytwotone said:
hello guys so i have been wanting to do this mod for ever and well might be in luck i have found a 2004 Chevy trailblazer with a 5.3 V8 for sale the truck is f#$%ed but it has every thing i need for the swap and all is in good shape and all he wants is $1500 for the whole thing. not bad????

If you can find a roller like that, scoop it up! For a V8 swap you'll need to put a shift kit in the trans (5.3L 4L60Es are different than I6 4L60Es...), rear end from a LWB truck or SS, rear driveshaft, engine, accessory drive, and wiring harness.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online