4.2 Straight Piped Video

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Doesn't seem to have many views so I'll post it. Sounds pretty good, I guess straight piping it gets rid of rev limiter while in park.

[video=youtube;Q7S1IkrM3Gc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7S1IkrM3Gc[/video]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
DenaliHD66 said:
...I guess straight piping it gets rid of rev limiter while in park.

:nono: Getting the PCM tuned with the required settings, will get rid of the rev limiter :coffee:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I know your going to free up some flow and maybe a tiny gain. It sounds pretty "scratchy" on the high end which isn't that bad but at some point it becomes a mustang "all bark, no bite" imo

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:nono: Getting the PCM tuned with the required settings, will get rid of the rev limiter :coffee:

Mine is still limited... from PCM4less. Did they not do it right? I don't recall there ever being an option for that. I was going to get a new one eventually, with the e-fan code patch, and tuned to 93 premium octane.

smitty5150 said:
Makes me want a v8 more than I already do.

I think the same thing anytime I hear my truck from the outside when someone drives it off. Sounds good on startup/idle. Sounds really cool with the rear liftglass open and idling. But yeah if I drop it off at the mechanic's, and they take it for a spin, and I hear them accelerate it makes me cringe a little bit. Like, wow, it definitely doesn't sound as good as I want it to.

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
Sounds amazing! Reminds me of the cars they raced in fast and the furious haha.

Inside, it sounds retardedly loud. I unbolted the exhaust after the cat and at about 1100-2500 rpm, the resonance was so bad that you felt like you were gonna explode on the inside :biggrin:

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I'm definitely doing this in a few years from now, when I turn my truck into a dedicated off-roader/bang around vehicle. But I'm still not clear on how you get the rpms to go that high. I got a PCM4Less tune... shouldn't that have changed my throttle response? Or do I have to custom request that kind of tuning?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
DenaliHD66 said:
I'm definitely doing this in a few years from now, when I turn my truck into a dedicated off-roader/bang around vehicle. But I'm still not clear on how you get the rpms to go that high. I got a PCM4Less tune... shouldn't that have changed my throttle response? Or do I have to custom request that kind of tuning?

From the PCM4Less FAQ :deal: Maybe you needed to specify it in your order, I dunno. But that's the only way to turn it off, is to program the PCM not to do it...
While each vehicle will be different, we are always aiming for more power, more gas mileage, and the best driveability possible. Gains will depend on what kind of engine you have and what modifications are done to the vehicle. For instance, a car with headers may pick up more from a tune than a stock vehicle does. Most of our tuning descriptions will tell you what kind of gains we expect.

From the factory, GM often leaves a lot to be desired in the calibration. They are set up on the weak side because they do not know who will be using what car for what purpose. Since you know the intended use of your vehicle and the modifications you are planning to add, we can nail down a file that will work for you based off of our experience. In the tune we can change things such as timing, fueling, power enrichment, rev limiters, speed limiters, speedometers, VATS (security), shift firmness and time, torque management, and much more.

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
Wellllllll, there is a way to rev it up without a tune or reprogramming. What you should do is press the brake, put the truck in reverse, while still pressing the brake you will move the shifter back into park, but only slightly. You will see the line underneath the R dissapear. You're now in limitless rev mode! :biggrin:

Just make sure you don't slip into reverse and fry your transmission

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I had a wire replaced in the shifter a little while back, not going to tempt it. I can rev it if I'm already coasting and bump it up into neutral.

And yeah thinking about it, I don't think my throttle response changes at all, since I still have the torque management in the lower end, so maybe it really isn't doing what I have wanted it to do all this time.

Flash12623

Dec 3, 2011
ieatglue said:
Wellllllll, there is a way to rev it up without a tune or reprogramming. What you should do is press the brake, put the truck in reverse, while still pressing the brake you will move the shifter back into park, but only slightly. You will see the line underneath the R dissapear. You're now in limitless rev mode! :biggrin:

Just make sure you don't slip into reverse and fry your transmission

I find it appropriate that your image is a man lighting himself on fire. Just sayin :thumbsup:

berto1014

Dec 25, 2011
Just and FYI on how to do what he did in the video with the rev limiter. When you filled out the form for your PCMforless tune, you got to specify the rev limited, you probably left it at tuner's choice, but if you would have had it removed you would be able to rev in park. However, I would highly recommend doing such because its extremely bad for the engine to rev that high with no load. Our engines were designed to have a load when they rev that high. So just be careful if you do that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online