4.2 Problems

gmtofd

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Although it reached about 182k miles, was disappointed that the '04 TB had to be towed because the 4.2 was making random clacking noises. Found low compression in the first two cylinders, 150#, and 80#. filling the cylinders, with compressed air , show leaking intake valves. Decided it is not worth the effort to pull the head off. The reason for the random clacking noise is an unknown. My son listened and claimed the noise is coming from the front of the lower end. To me, it sounded like it was coming from the valve cover, on the left side over #2 cyl.

The question is: is this a normal problem or was my 4.2 a clunker? Since we brought it, at 70k miles, it was always noisy at start-up. Nosier that some of the TB that have a 4.2 which I've been looking at for my daughter to replace her S10 Blazer?

Thanks for any response.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could be a bad or stuck lifter?

gmtofd

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Suppose calling it a "clunker" is the wrong word. Listening to other 4.2's noticed that the one in this TB seem nosier, especially at start-up. Think it had a hard life before we became the second owner.

Could be a bad or stuck lifter?

Think a lifter is causing all the racket? As mentioned, it's random.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Anything is possible.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online