4.2 engine removal help

mrkoolaid9uy

Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Jeffersonville Indiana
IMG_0129.JPG I'm looking for help and advice on pulling this engine. I have everything off the engine except the transmission and motor mounts. So I am just wanting to know what I need to do to get the transmission off so I can pull and replace.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Remove the intake for extra clearance when lifting. Remove the motor mounts and drop it onto the crossmember. Remove the tranny mount and drop it on the crossmember. You should be able to reach the top bellhousing bolts or some use lots of extensions and get them from under.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Tell me about it! Did mine in the dead of July heat in '11. Lost 10 lbs. in sweat.

Another thing, pull/install it with the differential attached to the oil pan. Much easier as space is tight.

mrkoolaid9uy

Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Jeffersonville Indiana
Yea I remember leaving the differential on when I went to pull a part to get replacement engine. If anything the dang oil drain plug got in the way but somebody had already took the transmission and exhaust and axles still took like five hours though.

ttcfan4476

Jun 5, 2017
SE Iowa
20170514_220246.jpg
59xsyezdf

I pulled mine all at once. I removed the valve cover and intake so they didnt get broke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiggerr

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Transfer case and all sure makes the whole assembly really long.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.