$3.00 Aux input via XM interface

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Tools needed: 7mm socket, pry bar, drill with 7/32 bit, soldering iron and solder, wire strippers, heat shrink tubing or electrical tape, dremel with sanding wheel. Might need other drll bits/utility knife to enlarge cutout in panel.

Parts needed: 2' or so of ethernet cable, 3.5mm socket (Radio Shack 274-246) $2.69

Love my new 9-7x, but the lack of aux input for iPod/MP3/phone is a bit annoying. I found the basic info for this on TV and a couple other sites, I thought I'd put it here as I did the project myself. Using this jack, the XM function is left intact. If you set your head unit to XM and plug in a 3.5mm device, it'll play the device and cut off the XM. If you unplug your device, the XM module is restored.

Started by removing 2 7mm screws from the panel below the glove box. It popped right out, the back side of it simply rests on a shelf.

CIMG0338.jpg

CIMG0340.jpg

The XM module was mounted to this panel. It was convenient to remove the connector from the module to work on it. The wiring harness connects at the back of the module on the right. It had a blue 'safety' that I popped out (it stayed attached to the plug) before being able to remove it. It has a convenient connector right in front, made it easy to do the soldering on the bench.

CIMG0321-1.jpg

One end of my ethernet cable got this jack. 5 wires needed here, one ground and two each for the audio left and right signals.

CIMG0333-1.jpg

CIMG0334.jpg

In the harness, you're looking for a brown/white, a green/white and a black/white (there are 2 black/white, you want the one from pin 9 on the XM side of the harness. I cut them somewhere towards the middle of the harness and stripped back enough insulation to get good soldering room. To keep it simple, I used the brown and green wires from the ethernet to match the audio wires, and used the solid blue for the ground. If you're smarter then me, solder both the blue and blue/white to the jack terminal, it'll make your soldering into the harness easier. If you decide to use shrink wrap to cover your connections, be REALLY sure to put the tube on before you start connecting wires. I'm proud/embarrassed to say that this is the first time I've remembered every one and didn't have to go back and redo a joint or two to add in the shrink tube.

On the Jack - Ethernet - XM Harness
Pin 1 - Ground - Blue and Blue/white - black/white 9 both ways
Pin 2 - Left Audio - Solid brown - brown/white towards radio
Pin 3 - Left Audio - brown/white - brown/white towards XM module
Pin 4 - Right Audio - green/white - green/white towards XM module
Pin 5 - Right Audio - solid green - green/white towards radio

I neglected to take a picture of the finished assembly before installation, but here's the installed version. The blue is my added in ethernet cable.

CIMG0331-1.jpg

Now, the fun part was trying to get a good installation point for the jack. I found a great spot below on the panel surrounding the stereo and climate controls, but found that when I removed the panel there was no space behind it, solid plastic. First I confirmed my location had nothing behind it, and drilled a couple of holes that I connected with a small blade to give me the opening I needed. A 7/32 hole in the front panel was my mounting location.

I did have to use a dremel with a sanding wheel on the back of the panel as it was too think to push the jack through. Once installed, I used a dab of gorilla glue on the jack as well as the the included nut. I didn't want it to spin and damage my solder job.

Here's the installed photos - should help make sense of everything.

CIMG0325-1.jpg

CIMG0322-1.jpg

And the final product. Used it today, went back and forth between XM and iPod at will.

CIMG0320-1.jpg

CIMG0319.jpg

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Do you know if this work without a XM receiver and the AM/FM/CD from 2005?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Excellent work man! Very clean install and thorough write up. Good job on the pics too!

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
Just completed this mod and it works great! I still use xm so this is exactly what I wanted. :wootwoot:

a70607b0.jpg

f879fe0f.jpg

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Please fill out the following information:

Summary:
Adding AUX Input via XM Interface
Vehicle:
Difficulty:

Estimated Time:
Part Numbers:
Cost:

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Summary: Adding AUX Input via XM Interface
Vehicle: Saab 9-7x
Difficulty: Moderate - soldering required
Estimated Time: 1-2 hours
Part Numbers: Radio Shack 274-246
Cost: $2.69

MedicatedMike

Feb 24, 2012
OMG!! If Im able to do this and it works for us im gonna flip..... :biggrin:

Do you have to have a XM subscription for this to work?

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
phanpride said:
I am having a hard time deciding where to mount this thing lol

I mounted mine in the glove box. I got a long cord and just the end of the aux cord comes out under my radio.

MedicatedMike

Feb 24, 2012
hmmm, I was planning on showing that aux port off like a diamond but I kind like the idea of just the end of the ipod cord coming out from dash as well.....hmmmm....lol

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
Yeah I'll snap some pics tomorrow of where I have it coming out of the dash

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
How do I know if I have the XM radio to do this?

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
MedicatedMike said:
hmmm, I was planning on showing that aux port off like a diamond but I kind like the idea of just the end of the ipod cord coming out from dash as well.....hmmmm....lol

a6cd0b59-34cf-4c3c.jpg
a6cd0b59-34ec-7bf9.jpg

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
SBUBandit said:
How do I know if I have the XM radio to do this?

Open your glove box, pull up the stopper tab at the top and see if picture #3 is behind it. You could also use the band button to see if it has an XM setting.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Can you control the device through the steering wheel controls? Or do you have to change songs from the device itself?

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
Well since this is only an auxiliary audio input and it does not go through the USB. No you can't control the songs only the volume..

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
That's what I figured. People do this same mod on the Mazda forums, with the same result. lol

Might try this out on the TB. Only being able to use the device to change songs would annoy me, but I drive it once a week if that, and I'm sure the wife wouldn't think anything of it. She'd probably just leave her MP3 player hooked up and constantly playing.

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
kjkim93 said:
How long does it take to do this? and is it hard? and do i need to unplug my battery?

It took me about 10 minutes. I always recommend disconnecting the battery when messing with anything electrical to prevent fire and electrical short.

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Ah i wont be able to to do this. I have no way to solder inside my aparments garage and dont have a generator to be able to plug into.

Joshtradamus

Apr 22, 2012
kjkim93 said:
Ah i wont be able to to do this. I have no way to solder inside my aparments garage and dont have a generator to be able to plug into.

Why can't you solder in your garage? All you need is an electrical outlet.

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Joshtradamus said:
Why can't you solder in your garage? All you need is an electrical outlet.

LOL. i live in an apartment and the geniuses who designed left the outlets up on the ceiling. :confused::lipsrsealed: The only thing i can do if i wanna do this is to use liquid electrical tape leave all the connections

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
The jack connections do require soldering, that could be done in your apartment. You could use crimp connectors for the rest.

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
I totally forgot about the jack wiring. So sorry for the bother. And i thought i was going to have to solder wires from the XM harness.

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Okay so soldering is done. And all i need are taps. and im planning to mount it in the glove box and then use a AUX cable. Did you have to drill a hole?

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
Look back at my pics. I did drill a small hole in the glove box to mount my jack.

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Im sorry for being such a bother guys! But last question. Am i suppose to wire this up only where the harness is circled in red?:lipsrsealed::frown:

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Try to be a little more specific in your question. Are you referring to the harness that's circled at both ends with a dotted line down it? If so, yep that's the spot. The added wire spices in here and goes to the jack.

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
thank you thats what i meant. i tried it today and ended up taping the wrong wires. lol. Guess i will try it again tomorrow!

RedLabrador

Apr 22, 2012
for those that have done this, how is the sound quality?

RedLabrador

Apr 22, 2012
My brother took the harness out of his 06 TB, wired everything up, plugged it in to his TB and the aux interface sounds like all Treble and no Bass. Tried it in my 08 as well with the same harness, and got the same result. Ideas?

NYFlapjack2

Jan 22, 2012
My 2006, SAAB 97x is OEM dash 6 CD player with the overhead DVD & had a slightly different wire harness.
Attached photo is out of SAAB on counter prepping to splice in. It's got that extra shorter whip and plug.
I can see how it's a Y off the "to the Radio plug end" and Tees -feeds in on the exact black white, brown white and green whites.

Anyhow after splicing in as instructed all still works as designed.
The XM and even the DVD (phew was wondering), and now when Iphone inserted feeds songs it is as noted a XM bypass.

2nd did son's 2008 SAAB 97x with it's OEM NAV/CD but no overhead player. Anyhow harness is same as OP.

On both we just popped the short harness section out and did it all inside on bench.
Fastened the plug to glove box back wall as others noted to keep it hidden.
Very cool quick project, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5008.jpg
    IMG_5008.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 55

snipe1080

Sep 17, 2013
Ok I have a 2004 Trailblazer LS 4x4, it has an AUX button on the radio, does anyone know how I can tap that to run my Ipod through?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online