NEED HELP 2005 Trail Blazer LT EXT Transfer Case

jlynn001

Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
New York
My 2005 Trail Blazer LT EXT does not move in any gear. Sometimes if you put it in drive and just let sit at idle it will eventually move a little bit but not much and has no power whatsoever. Which leans me towards the transmission but the 4x4 has not worked for sometime now and the 4x4 service light came on probably a week before this all happen. I was going to take it over the weekend but it never made it. So after checking the transmission fluid, and removing the pan. I am now leaning towards the Transfer case as the fluid in the transmission was perfect and nothing in the pan that makes me think there is an issue.

My question is can the transfer case be shifted manually by removing the Encoder motor and using channel locks to shift it. I have seen comments both ways saying it can and can't be done. On mine when you try to manually shift it. Rather than clicking into gear it springs back and does not stay where you shifted it to.

Any comments or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Jlynn001

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of the trouble, but that's how most of us ended up here!

All I can say is if the fluid looks good, it doesn't automatically rule out the tranny. The pump could be bad, the separator plate could be damaged and not allowing pressure to build in the right place at the right time or some other catastrophic failure that could cause your issue. Or like in my case, the friction material could be slick and provide nothing to grip and no power would get transferred to the drive shaft. Even if the 4WD did not work at all, it would not affect the rear wheels if the transmission was fine - it would only affect the front.

I'm not up on what the encoder shaft and transfer case should do as I haven't had any issues so far. Someone else will come along that can tell you what normal behavior is in the troubleshooting mode like you are wanting to do.

jlynn001

Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
New York
Hi C-ya,
Thank you for your reply. So if the transfer case was bad. Would it stop the vehicle from moving forward or reverse? I was told if it was stuck in nuetral or just all and all bad. It would cause the vehicle to not move at all.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The only possibility I could think of with the transfer case being the culprit is the case is stuck in neutral or the guts of it totally shattered. Both scenarios would mean no movement at all.

If you get some vehicle movement, it is highly unlikely the case is the cause. Sure, it might be the cause of the non-functional 4x4 perhaps.

jlynn001

Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
New York
Hi Sparky,
Thank you for your response. The way this all went down Is it stopped moving as I stated in my first post. Then I paid someone to replace the transmission with another used one from Pick n Pull. He said he put two transmissions in it and also replaced the transfer case. Although I do believe him I have no proof anything was really done other than his word and the fact that the guy I do trust. Who is working on it now. Says it looks like they were out or replaced. All I know is it was working fine. It stopped working and still is not working the symptoms have not changed. So if by chance the transmission is working. What else could it be? Also basing on the two transmissions came with their own solenoids and torq converter.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Something doesn't add up. If both transfer case and transmission were replaced, well, something has to still be broken since it still doesn't move anywhere.

Service 4WD light is on you said - any indicators on the dash switch, out of curiosity?

jlynn001

Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
New York
Hi Sparky,
Thank you for your response. The way this all went down Is it stopped moving as I stated in my first post. Then I paid someone to replace the transmission with another used one from Pick n Pull. He said he put two transmissions in it and also replaced the transfer case. Although I do believe him I have no proof anything was really done other than his word and the fact that the guy I do trust. Who is working on it now. Says it looks like they were out or replaced. All I know is it was working fine. It stopped working and still is not working the symptoms have not changed. So if by chance the transmission is working. What else could it be? Also basing on the two transmissions came with their own solenoids and torq converter.
I for got to mention we did a fluid test and it does appear to be pumping the way it should be. Also when I mentioned it would move while in idle once in awhile. The movement was nothing more than like a brisk wind pushing it a couple of inches and then it would roll back again.

jlynn001

Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
New York
That was exactly my feeling how could two transmissions be bad. Possible yes, likely no. Anyway yes the Engine light is on. Do not remember the exact codes but they have to do with the secondary air injector pump. Which I bought a new one and plan to replace and the other I think was cam sensor. Which we have not diagnosed yet. Both codes were there for awhile before any of this happen though. Was just waiting for my mechanic to be available as I only know enough to get myself in trouble.

jlynn001

Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
New York
Oops I may have miss read as you may have been asking about the selector switch. Yes they blink and settle one spot to the right of what you have selected. The switch has been replaced and the front actuator was replaced as well.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One possibility is the transfer case encoder motor died in the neutral position but if that was the case, when you put it in park, it would roll away. Same thing if the transfer case completely failed but you would think that such a catastrophic failure would make some noises. Have you checked or replaced the fluid in the transfer case lately? It MUST be replaced every 50k miles.

I would be inclined to suspect the transmission in this case if park is holding correctly.

If you can, try to get the codes read for both the engine and the 4x4 system. For that, you would either need a high end code reader (Tech 2 or Solus) or get a Bluetooth OBD code reader and use the Car Gauge Pro app (Android). This can read all codes.

jlynn001

Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
New York
Hi Mooseman,
Thank you for your response. I have not checked the fluid as the guy who changed the transfer case (supposedly) filled it with new fluid. It just baffles me as to how this would still not move at all if he indeed did replace the tranny twice and transfer case once. I do happen to have a OBD II Bluetooth reader that I am currently using with the Torque app. I will look into getting the app you spoke of though and see what I can find.

Reactions: Mooseman

jlynn001

Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
New York
Hi Mooseman,
I have obtained the Android App and plan on trying it either tonight or tomorrow. Quick question though.
How should the tests be done, with the vehicle running, with the key just in the on position, or both?

Finally off topic but pertaining back to my original post.
If I remove the encoder motor. Should I be able to shift gears manually with channel locks?

Mine does not click into gear either clockwise or counter. Just springs back like it is spring loaded. I have tried it with the truck in park and neutral. Running and not running. Always the same result just springs back. Just wondering if this is normal or whether I need to look into that as well?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How should the tests be done, with the vehicle running, with the key just in the on position, or both?

Either. It doesn't matter unless the issue manifests itself while it's running.

If I remove the encoder motor. Should I be able to shift gears manually with channel locks?

You should be able to. Might have to be able to move the truck a bit for gear engagement, especially if 4lo is involved.

Mine does not click into gear either clockwise or counter. Just springs back like it is spring loaded. I have tried it with the truck in park and neutral. Running and not running. Always the same result just springs back. Just wondering if this is normal or whether I need to look into that as well?

What springs back? The switch? The transmission shifter?

jlynn001

Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
New York
The shifter that the channel locks are on trying to change the gears. The videos I watched. I could hear it clicking into gear as they turned it. Mine does not click into gear just springs back. Tried in both directions Clockwise and Counter. Same thing just springs back and or does not go into gear.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That definitely doesn't sound good.

jlynn001

Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
New York
Ok so I hooked it all up and pulled the codes. There deos not seem to be anything related to the transmission. The only 2 codes that show under The Powertrain group are P0463 and U1026.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
P0463 says your fuel level sender signal is high. Could be wiring, more likely the sender.

U1026 says loss of communication with ATC (auto transfer case). Did you check the fuses? I think there are two, one under the hood and another under the seat. Could also be wiring, especially a ground wire, or possibly the TCCM is dead. There is no comms to it right now.

jlynn001

Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
New York
So We are looking to just replace the transmission and possibly the transfer case this weekend. Mainly because we just have no way of knowing for sure if it was ever done.

Questions:
1) Can either or both of those codes cause the truck to not move at all. Also the encoder motor was not attached to the case or plugged in when the codes were pulled.

2) Is possible there is something else causing the truck to not move? Keeping in mind that everything was working fine up until the truck just stopped moving.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If you need to correct or add something in your post (within 10-ish minutes) please use the edit button, thanks.

Codes won't stop it from moving, no. When my TCCM died for example my truck was fine, just, no 4x4 at all. No switch lights or anything. Having the encoder disconnected when pulling the codes may be the reason for the U1026 code though, perhaps. The fuel level code won't affect anything we're currently looking at.

jlynn001

Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
New York
Stupid question. We just found out the torque converter does not come with the transmission. So if this was actually changed. He would have used my original torque converter. Is it possible that is what the is that's causing no movement? It Does appear to be pumping the fluid.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Absolutely. If the torque converter is failed, it won't transfer any power to the transmission to actually move the vehicle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online