2004 Trailblazer - Whine when coming to a stop in A4WD and 4HI

Bison9

Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Hey All!

I have been reading posts from this site and others the past couple years now and I just got done rebuilding the front end of this 04 Trailblazer (Ball Joints, struts, brakes, etc...). I also did so on my full sized pickup as well based on just reading through the posts on sites like this - very awesome to say the least!

Ok, so I thought I would just register now for this site and just start posting. Here is my first issue I will post about on this 04 Chevy Trailblazer - So I am going to cut right to the chase here:

I stumbled across this article a couple minutes ago: http://gmtnation.com/f79/4wd-whining-noise-1357/

I am having the SAME EXACT problem as the original poster in this article stated. I put the vehicle in either A4WD or 4HI and I get this whine when I coming to a stop in this vehicle. All symptoms completely disappear when in 2HI.

I didn't glean much from that article unfortunately about what the problem is and my mechanic said he test drove it, heard the whine, and said... "uh, you're all set, its all good, come pick it up.." He hasn't done anything to the vehicle - just test drove it... So, I am, needless to say, very displeased with this assessment here... So, this is my cry for help :smile: Any ideas what this may be here? I know enough to be dangerous but the two links in that article left me scratching my head. I am just wondering where to even start here...

Thanks for any help any of you can give me!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Mileage and maintenance history of all the fluids involved here?

Bison9

Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Ok, so craziness here... I rebuilt the front end of this vehicle (ball joints, struts, brakes, etc) a couple days ago and had 4 new tires put on and alignment done. And the mechanic was correct - I got in the car and drove with him yesterday and this whine is now no longer there. It is completely gone. They checked the transfer case fluid and it was a shiny clean blue. I have owned this vehicle since the 35,000 mile mark and this fluid I think was done at like the 80,000 mile mark. There are 111,000 miles on it as of today.

The mechanic told me that 4 good tires will go a long ways in a vehicle. So, whine is gone I guess! Go me!

thanks for your reply the roadie!

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
In a properly functioning transfer case, approximately 5% of power is sent forward when the t-case is in 4AWD (and waiting to be engaged), when in 4HI, full power is sent forward. Under these conditions, tires of uneven wear could add a little strain to the drive-line resulting in some gear groaning.

That's why most of us don't use the 4AWD selection.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online