2002 Olds Bravada - Thinking of buying have a few questions

fixnux

Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Locally there is a 02' Bravada for sale for a decent price. It's a fixer though.

At present it does run and drive but I don't think the AWD is working so that'll likely be the first repair.

Some basic questions, what is the newest year 4.2l that can be used? I don't plan to modify the motor but
want to keep an eye out for a nice salvage motor for an eventual swap.

Regarding the transfer case, what are some good options for replacing the system?

I don't believe it has the air suspension but the rear suspension is in need of repair. What are some good options
for replacement?

The AWD/suspension issues are my primary concern at present. With winter coming I want all that to be functioning 100%.
RWD only vehicles are impossible in the area I live. I do have a 2nd vehicle so having the vehicle down while I get parts isn't
a issue.

If anyone has good links for replacement options I would greatly appreciate the help. Ideally I would prefer to get parts that
are better than the OEM and stay away from dealer shops.

Excuse my lack of research, this is kind of impulse buy and I'm about 90% I want to buy it but would welcome some advice
from others who have owned/have worked on these vehicles.

Thanks in advance!

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Hey, I just bought a 2002 Bravada myself :thumbsup: I too, found it locally for much cheaper than any other 2002-2004 Bravy's. It was also much cleaner, I should've run away then :biggrin: haha jk!

Fortunately, my AWD works but if it doesnt work, be forewarned it could potentially be one, or two or both pretty expensive fixes. If the transfer case clutches fused or burnt, you need a new TC or to have it rebuilt $$$ Same goes with the front differential.

Good news is, most of the times its the encoder motor ($150 or so) thats on the transfer case or the TCCM crapped the bed ($50 at salvage yard).

Why are you thinking it doesnt work? Is the "Service AWD" light on? Have you test driven it onto some gravel and spun the wheels yet?

When I bought my Bravada, I brought my scantool.. hooked it up and drove around. While it doesnt tell me near as much as say a Tech 2 handheld, I was able to see that there were no codes that I was too afraid of. In my case, I had a few U body codes, modules losing communication with each other on the class 2 data bus... fixed that last night.

Anyways, replacing the I6 engine in these trucks isnt much fun. The transfer case runs through the oil pan. Its not an easy pluck n' pull.

I owned an Envoy for years and sold it last year, bought the Bravada last week. Honestly, I liked the ability to switch into 4wd myself. SmarkTrak senses a slip THEN kicks in. Its sending 0% power to the front wheels at any given time, until a slip is detected, then it shifts the power to the front wheels. You can expect a jolt when this happens and your rear end will have already broke traction, vs. if you were already locked into 4HI, and you wouldnt have that momentary slip. Not that the select-able 4wd transfer cases dont have their issues on this platform too.... but I'd almost say if you are weary on the AWD system working at this point, I *might* recommend moving on and finding an Envoy or TB that does work.

Then again, I went out and bought this truck October 1st and by October 6th, I had blown the transmission :rotfl: My research and driving around with the scan tool did not predict that one....

If you dont mind me asking, how many miles, how much are they asking and what shape is the body?

fixnux

Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Hey, I just bought a 2002 Bravada myself :thumbsup:

Fortunately, my AWD works but if it doesnt work, be forewarned it could potentially be one, or two or both pretty expensive fixes. If the transfer case clutches fused or burnt, you need a new TC or to have it rebuilt $$$ Same goes with the front differential.

Good news is, most of the times its the encoder motor ($150 or so) thats on the transfer case or the TCCM crapped the bed ($50 at salvage yard).

When I bought my Bravada, I brought my scantool.. hooked it up and drove around. While it doesnt tell me near as much as say a Tech 2 handheld, I was able to see that there were no codes that I was too afraid of. In my case, I had a few U body codes, modules losing communication with each other on the class 2 data bus... fixed that last night.

Anyways, replacing the I6 engine in these trucks isnt much fun. The transfer case runs through the oil pan. Its not an easy pluck n' pull.

I owned an Envoy for years and sold it last year, bought the Bravada last week. Honestly, I liked the ability to switch into 4wd myself. SmarkTrak senses a slip THEN kicks in. Its sending 0% power to the front wheels at any given time, until a slip is detected, then it shifts the power to the front wheels. You can expect a jolt when this happens and your rear end will have already broke traction, vs. if you were already locked into 4HI, and you wouldnt have that momentary slip. Not that the select-able 4wd transfer cases dont have their issues on this platform too.... but I'd almost say if you are weary on the AWD system working at this point, I *might* recommend moving on and finding an Envoy or TB that does work.

If you dont mind me asking, how many miles, how much are they asking and what shape is the body?

The body is near perfect. I'm not 100% sure on the miles since the guy is waiting for the title. It's a out of town trade-in at a local dealer.
Still waiting on the price but the guy said between 3-7 depending on what they see when they put it up. They will likely repair the AWD before
selling. My hope is they don't and I can get a lower price to pick it up. We'll see. In the end I will only get it if it's fiscally a good investment.

That said it is a beautiful vehicle so my hope is it can be fixed up for around 3k and I can purchase it for around 3-5k. It has some dings and dents
on the bumpers but no rust and the interior is excellent shape. I'm going in expecting to repair it prior to making my primary vehicle.

I found this info regarding the 4.2l. I don't want to assume these SUVs are the same as the Envoy/Trailblazers but my understanding is they
are basically the same.

Putting an '06 Vortec 4200 into an '02 w/pix - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

If that is accurate, it's probably a 25-30hr job. I know a shop that would take on the job so my hope is that that info is valid. Just have to watch
the salvage yards and wait for a good buy.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
fixnux said:
The body is near perfect. I'm not 100% sure on the miles since the guy is waiting for the title. It's a out of town trade-in at a local dealer.
Still waiting on the price but the guy said between 3-7 depending on what they see when they put it up. They will likely repair the AWD before
selling. My hope is they don't and I can get a lower price to pick it up. We'll see. In the end I will only get it if it's fiscally a good investment.

That said it is a beautiful vehicle so my hope is it can be fixed up for around 3k and I can purchase it for around 3-5k. It has some dings and dents
on the bumpers but no rust and the interior is excellent shape. I'm going in expecting to repair it prior to making my primary vehicle.

I found this info regarding the 4.2l. I don't want to assume these SUVs are the same as the Envoy/Trailblazers but my understanding is they
are basically the same.

Putting an '06 Vortec 4200 into an '02 w/pix - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

If that is accurate, it's probably a 25-30hr job. I know a shop that would take on the job so my hope is that that info is valid. Just have to watch
the salvage yards and wait for a good buy.

Well shit, you didnt mention they were willing to fix things before you bought it!

If you could go over it with a fine tooth comb, have them fix as many big ticket things they are willing to, and still get it for a reasonable price (I paid $3900 for my 2002 with 137k miles, super clean and very good body condition like yours), then I'd say go for it.

There are some variables though. Can you get the GM service history? I did. Mine showed a person who was at the dealer a lot with oil changes, tire rotations, all recalls performed and all the little common (and a few big ones) problems fixed.

What condition are the transmission cooler lines? They rust right by the catalytic converter. By the time that happens, the whole set of them need to be replaced $$

What condition is the power steering lines above the drivers side fenderwell? Again, another set that has to be replaced if they are rusted and that is $$.

Have you scanned for codes? I'd highly recommend it before buying it.

How many miles are on the truck?

fixnux

Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Well shit, you didnt mention they were willing to fix things before you bought it!

If you could go over it with a fine tooth comb, have them fix as many big ticket things they are willing to, and still get it for a reasonable price (I paid $3900 for my 2002 with 137k miles, super clean and very good body condition like yours), then I'd say go for it.

There are some variables though. Can you get the GM service history? I did. Mine showed a person who was at the dealer a lot with oil changes, tire rotations, all recalls performed and all the little common (and a few big ones) problems fixed.

What condition are the transmission cooler lines? They rust right by the catalytic converter. By the time that happens, the whole set of them need to be replaced $$

What condition is the power steering lines above the drivers side fenderwell? Again, another set that has to be replaced if they are rusted and that is $$.

Have you scanned for codes? I'd highly recommend it before buying it.

How many miles are on the truck?

It'll be going to my local mechanic to be looked over next week.

I have a HP Tuner so I'll be able scan it next week when it goes to get looked over
and be able visually inspect it. I'll grab some snaps too to be sure.

I'll look into the dealer stuff also.

lifted326

Jun 3, 2013
fixnux said:
It'll be going to my local mechanic to be looked over next week.

I have a HP Tuner so I'll be able scan it next week when it goes to get looked over
and be able visually inspect it. I'll grab some snaps too to be sure.

I'll look into the dealer stuff also.

It's a solid truck... Had mine since 05 and 150000 miles later I still like the truck. Think she has about 180k+ on her now....

My transfer case has grenaded on me twice .....no warning and this is after being serviced.... On schedule. I just got tired of it and made it 2wd based on a Roadie recommendation.

I bought springs for it as I am going to a suspension swap one weekend. The air bags drop a lot and I can't wait until it it cold and they decide to completely retire.

I can't say much bad about the truck seeing as my wife drove it more than I have in the city and it hAs held up to her abuse and the kids attempts at learning to drive as well.

fixnux

Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
lifted326 said:
It's a solid truck... Had mine since 05 and 150000 miles later I still like the truck. Think she has about 180k+ on her now....

My transfer case has grenaded on me twice .....no warning and this is after being serviced.... On schedule. I just got tired of it and made it 2wd based on a Roadie recommendation.

I bought springs for it as I am going to a suspension swap one weekend. The air bags drop a lot and I can't wait until it it cold and they decide to completely retire.

I can't say much bad about the truck seeing as my wife drove it more than I have in the city and it hAs held up to her abuse and the kids attempts at learning to drive as well.

I've been doing some searching for a heavy duty TC but so far no dice. Perhaps it's possible to change out the TC a different one?
I don't drive a lot really. Maybe 10k a year and I'm basically a grandma driver. I don't expect too many issues once it's all functioning
but it's nice to know about available options just in case.

IE, Raptor has some nice 4L60E transmissions for around 2500 that I think could be a nice upgrade for it. It seems like a 06' 4.2 can be swapped with
little modifications. The air bags can be replaced with standard options although I don't believe it's a air ride so not worried about that. However the rear
does sag a little so it will need some immediate care.

What would be recommend regarding the TC in the event of a failure short of converting it to 2WD since I live in the country and needless to say
RWD vehicles do not travel here well. My last car was a FWD /w LSD and that managed pretty well but my neighbor he had issues in his SUV that
was 2WD only. He constantly had to keep his vehicle parked at the end of the drive because he couldn't power up the hill here. It's a good half mile walk
if you can make it so not an ideal walk when the whether is bad.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online