2002 GMC Envoy Replacement Suspension Spring Suggestions

Buffalo1028

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hi,

I would like to thank everyone who has given me suggestions for my repairs. Unfortunately I deleted the last reply before I could send a Thank You.

Looking for spring replacements for 2002 Envoy 4wd. I had air bags in the rear but replaced them with GM springs.

Should I stick with OEM GM or go After Market?

Thanks

Buffalo1028

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
is there something wrong with the springs you have? you're more likely to need new shock absorbers than springs

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Ditto. What GM springs did you put in (there are about ten different stiffnesses available), and what makes you think they're bad now?

If you want to add some lift, find some 2007+ Tahoe/Avalanche Z71 springs. If you sometimes tow and just need to reduce sag a bit, you can throw Airlift1000 bags inside your existing coils and pump them up when you add weight in the rear.

Buffalo1028

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
jimmyjam said:
is there something wrong with the springs you have? you're more likely to need new shock absorbers than springs

I put new Bielsteins HD oem shocks in 6 months ago. I need to check if any atre leaking. I have a lot of sway and bounce when I drive on the hghway.

Thanks

Buffalo1028

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
the roadie said:
Ditto. What GM springs did you put in (there are about ten different stiffnesses available), and what makes you think they're bad now?

If you want to add some lift, find some 2007+ Tahoe/Avalanche Z71 springs. If you sometimes tow and just need to reduce sag a bit, you can throw Airlift1000 bags inside your existing coils and pump them up when you add weight in the rear.

I have replace shocks with oem Bielsteins Heavy duty ones. The truck as a lot of bounce and sway when ob the highway and city driving.

237000 Miles

Thanks

Buffalo1028

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
the roadie said:
You said you replaced the springs. What part number did you install?

I have not replaced the original springs in the front to date. I only replace the rear ones when my air suspension bags rotted. The truck rode fantastic after I replaced the springs and even better wen I replaced the shocks with the Bielsteins.

I am trying to figure our where the bounce is coming from. The bushings on the sway bars are good, were replaced front and back within the last 50K miles.The links are tight, no rattles or clinking sound. Upper and and lower control arms have been replaced.

Thanks

Buffalo1028

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Perhaps you can see our confusion. You didn't specify at first what parts have been replaced front and rear. Have you replaced the front shocks? Springs can indeed get weak in the front (I replace mine every couple of years due to offroad abuse), but it's shocks that affect sway and bounce.

Buffalo1028

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
the roadie said:
Perhaps you can see our confusion. You didn't specify at first what parts have been replaced front and rear. Have you replaced the front shocks? Springs can indeed get weak in the front (I replace mine every couple of years due to offroad abuse), but it's shocks that affect sway and bounce.

Sorry for the poor communication.

I replaced tall four shocks at 220108 miles - long over due Bielstein Front 24-10336, Rear 24-103350 Front Mounts replaced at this time.

The rear air bags were removed, rotting, and replaced with GM springs #15207736 F-Spring 7503, at 197545

Original front springs are in the truck.

Sway bar Links and bushings were replaced at about 175000.

Upper ball joints replace at 222282 miles, Lower replace at127000 miles.

When the rear was switched to springs from air bags the vehicle had improve handling

When all four shocks were replace it rode like new. No excessive roll or bounce.

The ride has become excessively bouncy, front to rear, and body roll seems to have increased.

Open to any and all suggestions. I do not tow and truck is currently used as vehicle for college.

I am sure it has been driven in fields and iver curbs.

Thanks,

Buffalo 1028

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I would think it may be time for shocks again.

have you inspected the components?

if you think your college driver has given them some, shall we say, challenging use, they may be in any shape from shot to broken, heck, he could have sold the rears for beer money. (not that I have any direct insight into how many beers you could get this way)

corvettebob

Jul 9, 2012
meerschm said:
I would think it may be time for shocks again.

have you inspected the components?

if you think your college driver has given them some, shall we say, challenging use, they may be in any shape from shot to broken, heck, he could have sold the rears for beer money. (not that I have any direct insight into how many beers you could get this way)

I have springs on order from Arnott. They have everything youu might need. My question is was, or is there a warning light on the dash? I know the newer XUV,s have one and you need to pur. a module to plug into the wire at the place where the pump was. Mine ia a 2004:confused::confused:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
corvettebob said:
I have springs on order from Arnott. They have everything youu might need. My question is was, or is there a warning light on the dash? I know the newer XUV,s have one and you need to pur. a module to plug into the wire at the place where the pump was. Mine ia a 2004:confused::confused:

Shouldnt need to do anything, none of the trucks that have the airbags deleted require anything. No lights/codes/etc. Just unplug everything and be on your way.

But you just ordered new air springs and are trying to figure out if removing the compressor will throw codes? You're going to need to leave the compressor in your truck with an air spring setup...

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
This is one of the scenarios in which it would be useful to have a "current mileage" option in the vehicle profile to show up under one's name. If the shocks were replaced at 220k and he's at 225k it's less likely they are already worn and in need of replacement. If he's at 300k with a college driver playing baja through the campus parking lots then he's overdue for a change.

First thing I'd do is stick my head under the car and verify that the springs are not compromised and that none of the shock absorbers are leaking or collapsed. In other-words I'm looking for a smoking gun to say "yes here is your problem, fix me first". Assuming all is well and the sway bar intact and you've got a good number of miles out of these shocks I might consider swapping front and rear shocks again and at least the front springs. I know absolutely nothing about rear spring options in terms of which to use for your application, ride quality or longevity.

As a disclaimer I have experienced what happens when the shocks begin to go bad and through research on this and other sites have formed opinions on what to do when that happens. I have only gone through one original suspension though, not multiple aftermarket sets.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samsen

Members Online