NEED HELP 2002 Envoy will not move till 1500rpm...and other stuff.

gmanfive0

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
Kentucky
History:

Previous engine had a fan clutch issue. Got well acquainted with this issue while changing it out.

Transmission gave out around 230K miles Had it rebuilt for around $2K. Was running fine...till now...but more on that in a second. It should still be under warranty.
Previous engine ended up having a firing issue on 3. It was dead. "D.E.D. Dead." :diggrave:

She died at 232K miles. So, I had another one put in with around 100K miles on it. I'm going to run this thing till it falls over. :dunce:

About 2 weeks ago I took the throttle body off and cleaned it till it looked brand new because it was having issues with the idle (was jumping RPMs from 600 to 1600 and then dropping back to 600 again over a 10 second span). Fixed the idle issue.

So now, current situation: Inline 6 Engine from 2005 something-or-other installed and rebuilt tranny. Should be good right? Well...till a day or so ago.
~~~~~

While driving my Envoy I noticed that there was a slightly louder sound when in reverse and when taking off. My first thought was "fan clutch...son of a..."

Well, it stopped. Then it came back. Then it stopped. Shifting was easy, no loud noise...nothing. No biggie. So I drove it about 40 mins. No issues. On the way home, I tried to pass a semi. I gave it gas and it slipped when trying to downshift. :uhno: I immediately took my foot off the gas and after coasting for around 5 seconds I returned it to the gas. No lights. No visible issues. When giving it gas a second time, it worked fine. Continued home and driving it hard trying to get it to either throw a code or recreate the issue. Nothing.

I eventually stopped at a light and it idled fine...nothing. So I thought I was out of the woods. :thumbsup: When the light turned green, I gave it gas. Good. Still no issues. Then, the shift from 1st to 2nd was a hard jerk. No slip. No sound. Just a hit. THEN, at the next light, I accelerated harder just to see what would happen. 1st gear. 2nd gear (smooth). 3rd gear slip, high rev, and when I removed my foot, shift into 4th. No issues after that.

The next day (yesterday - Friday) I was driving to see my Mom for Mother's Day. :biggrin: When I started the Envoy, it made the loud "fan-clutch" sound for a min upon acceleration. Then it stopped in second gear and never made it again. I didn't think anything of it. Making the 1.5hr drive, no issues. I drove it hard, I drove it easy, I drove it fast, and through the city I drove it slow. Not one single issue. Gas mileage was good...no noticeable issues.

Driving home tonight...totally different story.

No fan clutch noise when starting it up. I drove around...45 mins before the SES light comes on. Nothing happened. Just came on. No lag, no engine issues. Nothing. No stutter, no sputter, no green eggs or ham. Nada. Then, at around an hour and :15 into the drive, while going up a very small hill, I lost 4th gear...I think. I think it was 4th gear. Maybe 3rd. It didn't downshift or anything, it just didn't want to go. So I took it out of cruise control and that's when the fun began.

The RPMs dropped significantly. Usually it sits around 2.5 when running about 70mph. It dropped to 1000. So I gave it a little gas and it jumped back to 3K and as long as left my foot on it, it would sit there. If I took my foot off, it lost RPMs. I lost no speed, I gained no speed, it just sat there. So I hit a steep hill, pretty steep grade, left my foot on the gas and it began dropping speed...75...70...65...60...55...stayed at 55. RPMs around 3K-3.5K.

I went to get off of the interstate and merging into another highway, I gave it more gas. It didn't want to go. RPMs jumped back up to 2.5-3 but it didn't want to accelerate. Then, it accelerated. So now I'm curious and confused. Came to an easy stop at the light off of the highway and the RPM dropped to 500. No other issues. Light turned green and I gave it gas. It didn't move. Then, at 1500rpm, it moved under extreme duress. I coasted down the hill and as long as I kept the RPMs at 1500 or more, I was able to accelerate.

I came to another light and stopped. Same thing...no motion until 1500 but this time when it shifted (and I felt it shift) the rear tires hit and it took off. Drove it home and it's parked. Now I'm checking out the interwebz looking for any kind of info. Tomorrow I'll probably drive it to the auto parts store and have them tell me the code...but in the meantime, any advice or input as to what it my be?

I'm thinking torque converter...but...I need someone more experienced than me to tell me what it is.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Sounds like the torque converter to me, but you can also be dealing with another faulty fan clutch.

When you had the trans rebuilt, did they install a new Torque Converter or did they re-use your old one?
You'd think that shops would always install a new one during a rebuild, but, you know...

Any crazy noises coming from the trans while driving?
Fluid level okay? Smell -or look- cooked??

You should get yourself an OBD2 scanner. You can find them on ebay for cheap, or you can scan craigslist for one. Not sure what kind of phone you have, but there are scanner that a lot of us here use. They connect through Bluetooth or WiFi to our iPones or Androids and give you instant data on what's happening to your vehicle.

gmanfive0

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
Kentucky
Sounds like the torque converter to me, but you can also be dealing with another faulty fan clutch.

When you had the trans rebuilt, did they install a new Torque Converter or did they re-use your old one?
You'd think that shops would always install a new one during a rebuild, but, you know...

Any crazy noises coming from the trans while driving?
Fluid level okay? Smell -or look- cooked??

You should get yourself an OBD2 scanner. You can find them on ebay for cheap, or you can scan craigslist for one. Not sure what kind of phone you have, but there are scanner that a lot of us here use. They connect through Bluetooth or WiFi to our iPones or Androids and give you instant data on what's happening to your vehicle.

I was thinking the torque converter as well. I wasn't sure though. I'm not sure if they installed the older one or a new one. I'll ask Monday when I take it to the trans shop.

I had the fluids checked a few days ago (before it all started) and they said it looks like brand new. I haven't checked it myself since then. It was dark last night when I got home.

I'm going to go check out the scanner right now...and this app. That sounds like a good investment (both of them).

Thanks for the comment!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Torque converter is what came to my mind part way through reading that as well.

Reactions: Trkdrvremt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For a quick scan, you can pick up a cheap scanner at the parts store or Walmart. You could even go to Autozone or most parts stores and they'll scan it for free. Write down all the codes, current and pending.

I'm also thinking TC.

gmanfive0

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
Kentucky
Update:

I took the SUV to Adv Auto and they scanned it for me. Here are the codes:

U1000 - Class 2 Data link malfunction
C0379 - font axle...
B0790 - transfer case (neutral indicator)
P1870 - transmission component slipping

I did not have them erase the codes.

Right after that I did some research on each code and took it to the mechanic. This is where it gets interesting...and it could just be me being suspicious.

Tranny is out of warranty. No worries. Figured it was as per the OP, but I guess I'm a few miles out of warranty. Then they had a guy read the codes with their huge handy-dandy unit.

It spit one single code out to them: P1870

I explained the symptoms and they wouldn't even comment on what it might possibly be at all. They just said a "component." I get not wanting to state what it is, but come on guys, surmise a little. I asked a relative cost and explained I thought it may be the TC. He said "Iiiiiiii dunno...we'll just have to see. It may be a full rebuild and it may be just a single thing to replace...or a sensor, or something."

Oh well. He's supposed to drive it today (Wed) and call me but I've not heard anything from him. Going to call in a few and see what they say.

I have a feeling he's going to try to hit me with a full rebuild...again. Last one cost me $2100. Ugh...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
P1870 is what that kit I use is supposed to fix...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

gmanfive0

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
Kentucky
UPDATE:

I left the SUV at the transmission mechanic and they finally called me back. $2.2K to have it fixed. "Must be fully rebuilt." So I asked about said kit listed above by Sparky and explained that it had already been fully rebuilt once. They said that's all they can do.

So I said...cool...don't touch it.

I bought a new Chevy Equinox yesterday and the dealership is towing the SUV away tomorrow.

If I had a stick of dynamite or about 50lbs of tanerite I would have taken care of it for good. In the last year I've spent over 4K just having an engine put in and a transmission rebuilt because I didn't have the time to drop it out myself and put it back in. I was done with it.

Thanks for the advice guys. You all have been pretty helpful thus far! I hope I don't have to post for a while about the Equinox as it has the factory warranties on it.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Congrats on the new vehicle! How many miles are you at now? How many miles ago/years ago was the trans last rebuilt? Was it at the same shop? Seems they should be working with you on that if you are a repeat customer.

gmanfive0

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
Kentucky
Congrats on the new vehicle! How many miles are you at now? How many miles ago/years ago was the trans last rebuilt? Was it at the same shop? Seems they should be working with you on that if you are a repeat customer.

Thanks! So far so good with that thing. :smile:

The Trans was rebuilt around 20K miles ago at the same shop, yes. No discount was offered and I asked about one point blank because they also worked on it to fix some other issues while I was headed out of town one weekend. So...yeah. Probably won't be going back.

I'm not one to argue all that kind of thing though. I'm a service provider and I don't want folks to argue me for a service, but then again, I give repeat customers some good perks.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
I'm a service provider too... In the computer industry not the car industry... But for a full rebuild to only last 20k? Bad quality parts or poor workmanship. I'm not saying shop should fix for free but they should offer a significant discount at least.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online