2002 Envoy Clicking Noise

DetroitSteel88

Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Hi guys,

Need some help here (or at least some guidance):

I'll give you the scenario - I was stopped at an intersection waiting to make a left hand turn, halfway through the left hand turn, my truck started making a loud clicking noise. The best way I can describe this noise is similar to the sound of a bike when you stick baseball cards in the path of the tire in order to give it that "exhaust" sound - did anyone else do that when they were a kid?

Anyway, I didn't know what it was at first, so I prepared for something bad to happen and needing to pull over on the side of the road, except the car drove perfect, engine was performing perfectly, and transmission shifting smoothly. No check engine light.

So just to be safe, I pull over and look under the car, do not see anything, pop the hood, everything looks good - including fan and belt. I put it in drive, and start moving and there is no noise, but after 10 seconds, it comes back.

I put it into neutral while I am driving to rev the engine in order to see if it has to do with RPMs or the actual speed of the vehicle.

Revving the engine did not increase the sound or change it at all.

After having to come to many stops at traffic lights, and stop signs, etc. - it was the same thing. After being at a stop, it would take 10 seconds of my car moving and/or accelerating before the noise would occur.

I did a quick visual inspection of the driver's and passenger's side wheel well, and saw nothing obvious.

It is definitely coming from the front of the vehicle, as when I had all my windows down, it was 100% for sure sounding like it was coming from the front of the vehicle.

Any ideas before I go spend hours and hours looking for something that I probably won't end up seeing?

Thanks guys,

Brian

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
How many miles? Any maintenance history? Are you 4WD (Please fill out the vehicle profile to help us help you)?

If it's above 50K and 4WD, have you changed the transfer case fluid religiously?

100K differential fluid?

Have you checked your 4WD system lately for functionality?

Could be also a CV joint, failed hub bearing, or splined disconnect.

If you're 2WD, then maybe just the hub bearings or something caught between the brake rotor and the dust shield behind it. Be prepared to pull the wheels and look deeper.

DetroitSteel88

Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
the roadie said:
How many miles? Any maintenance history? Are you 4WD (Please fill out the vehicle profile to help us help you)?

If it's above 50K and 4WD, have you changed the transfer case fluid religiously?

100K differential fluid?

If you're 2WD, then maybe just the hub bearings or something caught between the brake rotor and the dust shield behind it. Be prepared to pull the wheels and look deeper.

150k, it is 4wd, but I only use 2wd.

I changed the transfer case fluid 3 months ago.

I will check functionality when I go drive it around for a bit.

It literally sounds JUST like the noise when I was a kid and put baseball cards in my tires. It is weird. Haven't heard that in a long time.

I just thought it was weird that it ONLY happens after moving for 10 seconds after a dead stop. It is perfectly quiet for 10 seconds after starting from a dead stop, then it starts up again.

I feel like it may be something stuck, because it happened right in the middle of a turn, but nothing FELT different or acted different.

Think it is safe to drive 15miles a day until the weekend when I can take the wheels off?

Thanks Roadie!!!!!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Was the 3 months ago on the transfer case the first change?

How about the diff?

I'd say it's safe, as long as you always have a place to pull over and a tow service just in case. A clicking differential can seize up. CV shaft can break and stop you. Many, many parts in the 4WD system are rotating even if you're in 2WD mode.

DetroitSteel88

Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
the roadie said:

100K differential fluid?

Well..... at first it didnt want to go into A4wd, but then it did. It did perfect going into 4 hi. Then it refused to go into 4lo, and got stuck in A4wd, with "service 4x4" light coming on. I turn it off, turn it back on, and it went into 2hi.

It went into all modes except 4lo, and then made it back to 2hi without light coming on or getting stuck.

I doubt its unrelated, I just hope its not a fortune to fix.

Any ideas on where to start?

Again, the noise only happens after its been driving for 10seconds straight.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Do you have a piece of loose trim that could be catching air once up to speed?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You have to be in neutral and not moving to go into or out of 4LO. It's in the manual.

Hmmm, the trim idea has some merit. Can you do any slow speed for more than ten seconds without it starting?

DetroitSteel88

Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
the roadie said:
You have to be in neutral and not moving to go into or out of 4LO. It's in the manual.

Hmmm, the trim idea has some merit. Can you do any slow speed for more than ten seconds without it starting?

Yes it appears so. If i stay at 15mph or less, no noise.

Also... the noise was nuch more quiet on the way home from the store... so maybe the wind had died down?? Either way, it still is loud enough to sound like something is wrong

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod