2002 chevy trailblazer wont turn over or start

quearry78

Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
i have a 2002 chevy trailblazer it died on my wife so i had it towed to the local dealership, they told it needed a starter i did not believe them so i got it home and crossed the starter over and tried to start, i replaced the fuel pump the other day and its still not wanting to start. The only that comes on is the headlights dash lights but does not want to do anything else.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! Incompetent dealer stories are far too prevalent.

So what happens when you turn the key to START? Any clicks from the front fuse block that would indicate the starter relay is being activated? Do the dash and headlights go out when you go to START?

If not, the ignition switch is a huge suspect. Do you have a meter and want to confirm it by checking the voltage at the switch wiring?

quearry78

Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
It does nothing when I try to start it. Its like your trying to start it in a gear other than park or Neutral. I just put a $ 300 fuel pump and I don't have the money to just start replacing everything. Before it died the engine light started to flash every once in a while and it would hesitate like a fuel pump would do.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
quearry78 said:
It does nothing when I try to start it. Its like your trying to start it in a gear other than park or Neutral. I just put a $ 300 fuel pump and I don't have the money to just start replacing everything. Before it died the engine light started to flash every once in a while and it would hesitate like a fuel pump would do.
What are the chances it's yet another ignition switch? Or the starter relay, or a few other things...

First question, do you have a multimeter?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
If you don't have a multimeter, HF has a basic model for under $10. It's not going to be the be-all end-all runner-up to a Fluke by far. Sometimes they may need a little calibration, too (using a fresh D-cell battery hooked to the leads, there's a potentiometer inside you can adjust until it read 1.52 volts -information gathered from reviews on HF's site) but for basic quick-and-dirty testing it will satisfy your needs.

I myself have four multimeters, none HF though. I think I have a problem. :rotfl:

quearry78

Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
We'll I got the thing to try to turn over the PCM fuse was blown but now it still won't start so think maybe a ground could an issue coming off the fuse box or the PCM

signalnc

Dec 28, 2012
sounds like you have a few issues--#1 is your non-start. as stated above get a multi-meter and trace your voltage. also as you stated check your grounds. also check for else is not working and check for more blown fuses.

#2 you flashing check engine light--you need to get the codes read--sounds like you might have a cylinder misfiring.

quearry78

Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
It was a 15 fuse put a 20 and it's not blown it. The car tries to start but for some reason I am not getting any fuel to the fuel rail and the fuel pump kicks on now

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Up-amping a fuse is very, very bad idea, and doesn't replace proper troubleshooting. Again, which fuse was it specifically (by position or number), and did you find it by using your meter or by pulling them all out and looking?

Reactions: Mounce

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
On the subject of fuse-blowing troubleshooting, Littelfuse offers a bunch of circuit breaker types for automotives, and the idea first hit me from an EricTheCarGuy video where he mentions using this method. Swap the fuse for a PROPERLY-SIZED breaker, and get to work. Manually-tripping ones I would say are better than auto-closing ones, as it forces your attention to the lack of power. Still cheaper than buying a pack of fuses just to burn them up. Littelfuse offers MINI breakers, they're designed to fit the MINI fuse slot but they're a bit taller than a fuse. It's "MIB X", where X is the amperage needed. Unfortunately offered only in "Type II," modified reset. No manual reset option, but these don't reset until power is removed from the hot side.

If you can remember whether you popped PCM I or PCM B it would be an immense help. I would assume PCM I, as that's a 15A while PCM B is a 20A standard. This fuse provides one of the power circuits to the PCM (though I'm not sure what it feeds internally), and also the injectors and coils. I will report back if I can figure out how PCM I affects other things.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
if you're gonna buy a crap load of fuses, HARBOR FREIGHT is the place to go... I bought an assortment box off of ebay, I come to find out a few days later that the same box was for sale at HF at a lower price...

quearry78

Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
We'll I have narrowed down to two things and I am pretty sure on the one but I don't know because I don't have the equipment to test for sure but it's either the PCM or the igition switch. The ignition switch control the PCM and if the fuse is getting blown by grounding out then the igition switch controls the PCM would cause me not to get fire or fuel right?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Without a meter, you're still troubleshooting in the dark and guessing. Is it out of the question to do a structured diagnostic process and start with checking the ignition switch? Then inspecting the harness using the manuals that Mooseman makes available for downloading? If you're not up for a structured process do you have a trusted independent mechanic you can use?

To help us give you useful advice - could you share a bit of your experience and what tools you DO have?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
A visual check is always worth a shot - and free! Though obviously may or may not provide some evidence, or no evidence at all.

Connector 1 I believe is the blue connector at the PCM. At some point between it and the fuse block is connector C100. C100 is a 10-pin connector, but only has 8 pins used. The wire colors on it are Red/Black, two gray, two black, light green, tan, and pink. The pink wire is the one coming from PCM-I fuse to the PCM itself.

PCM connector 1 (the blue one) should only have ONE pink wire running into it. Inspect the wire from this connector to connector C100, then onward to the fuse block. It's wrapped up in a bundle with a bunch of other crap and it wouldn't be surprising if it's shorting to another wire or maybe to metal somewhere.

Again, if the wire is undamaged then your fix isn't had yet, but it will at least discredit one theory.

brooklyn07tb

Jun 5, 2015
Hi I'm new to this site. I have an 07 tb that won't crank, I did the test from the starter relay and found out that it's not getting grounded at the relay when I turn the key to start.

brooklyn07tb

Jun 5, 2015
And the is the pcm case have a ground? Had to hardwire it from the ignition To starter. It works but I rather find the problem

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online