2002 Avalanche

Gordo

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Hi All, not sure if I'm in the right spot, did not see Avalanche listed. I have a chance to trade for an 02 Avalanche. Don't know much yet but it's 4x4 5.3 260,000 KILOMETERS. Any known issues I should be concerned about? I hear the trannies were weak and something about expensive shocks. Any advice will be welcome!!

Thanks,

Gordo

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
The Avalanche uses the same platform as a Suburban. So it is an Avalanche body on Suburban running gear. Unfortunately the 1500 Avalanche has the same 4L60-E that the blazers and every other light duty truck. BUT you could get them with a 4L80-E or an Allison but that came in the later years with the larger engines.

It will have the same transmission issues that a 5.3 GMT300 series would, (It is a GMT800 series until 2006MY when it was updated and is a GMT900 series.) The shock system would be about the same as the 300's just a little heavier.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
I would jump on it. The Suburban/Tahoe/Silverado parts are easy to get and easy to work on. The versatility of the avalanche has always appealed to me. I will either get one of those next or a crew cab Silverado but the whole mid-gate thing is cool IMHO.

Gordo

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Bought the Avalanche! Trying to hook up trailer brakes. The Truck came with a harness in the glovebox but no controller. Should there be a port to simply plug in or am I looking for a wiring harness with no connector on it? Any clues??

Thanks,

Gordo

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Congrats.

I wanted an Avalanche when I got my TB. Still want one.

Feb 24, 2012
If it's like the 'burban the connector for the trailer brake is in the black box behind and left of the brake pedal, and you'll need one of these to wire it in:

Valley Part No. 30408 - Standard Electronic Trailer Brake Control Wiring Harness Trailer Brake Control Connectors

That link is from googling "trailer brake harness yukon avalanche", to set you in the right direction.

Here is a page showing the black box I'm talking about:
http://www.howstuffinmycarworks.com/Brake_controller_GMC.html

The "expensive shocks" is if it has the Autoride option, at least that's what my Yukon calls it. They are active shocks that electronically adjust damping based on road condition, tow haul mode, steering wheel sensor, etc. Not sure if the avalanche has it or not. My 2500 YukonXL definitely does. If you look at the shocks themselves the electronic OEM one's I've seen tend to have a lot of orange on them.

I was looking for a Rainier and decided on my 'burb (yukon XL) instead. But I like this site and check in regularly because it's loaded with good people and good information, even if it isn't all about our trucks. Personally I highly recommend picking up a factory service manual if you DIY and are planning to keep the truck for a while. It has instructions for just about every scenario you might encounter.

Gordo

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
deekster_caddy said:
If it's like the 'burban the connector for the trailer brake is in the black box behind and left of the brake pedal, and you'll need one of these to wire it in:

Valley Part No. 30408 - Standard Electronic Trailer Brake Control Wiring Harness Trailer Brake Control Connectors

That link is from googling "trailer brake harness yukon avalanche", to set you in the right direction.

How to install an aftermarket Brake controller on 1999-2006 GM Trucks

The "expensive shocks" is if it has the Autoride option, at least that's what my Yukon calls it. They are active shocks that electronically adjust damping based on road condition, tow haul mode, steering wheel sensor, etc. Not sure if the avalanche has it or not. My 2500 YukonXL definitely does. If you look at the shocks themselves the electronic OEM one's I've seen tend to have a lot of orange on them.

I was looking for a Rainier and decided on my 'burb (yukon XL) instead. But I like this site and check in regularly because it's loaded with good people and good information, even if it isn't all about our trucks. Personally I highly recommend picking up a factory service manual if you DIY and are planning to keep the truck for a while. It has instructions for just about every scenario you might encounter.

Thanks for the tips! Found everthing I need! Now I'll order the controller!

I agree, this site is excellent! Have received a lot of help getting my Envoy on the road!

Gordo

Dec 16, 2011
deekster_caddy said:

How to install an aftermarket Brake controller on 1999-2006 GM Trucks

The early Avalanche 1500s didn't have Autoride, can't swear about the 2500s or the later models. I did very little DIY on Satan's Av, but feel free to ask any questions you like, and I'll answer if I can...

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
also, Z71 suspension package did not allow for any kind of autoride, ever. (for people referencing later)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher