2 sets of Alpine SPR-60C's for the trailblazer

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Hello there. I got my two sets of Alpine type r component speakers in. I was wondering where has everyone done their tweeter install? Ive seen the Bose location is good but also have seen where mounted on the a pillar is better.

I bought two sets cause I want to put the tweeters facing forward from the back to get the highs from the back channel (Is this best to face foreward or face them towards the rear to bounce off the back?) Has anyone done a rear tweeter install?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I was going to put the fronts in up by the door handle

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Ive seen that doen. I would really hate to do that and not like the sound. I would end up with a hole in my door panel lol. I have spare a pillars

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Mine are in the dash by choice. It's an interesting sound stage.

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
I could always try the dash before I go cutting on my a pillars. I really just need to mount them in different locations with some two sided tape and figure out what suits me best I guess.

The front tweeters will be easy to figure out where to put them. Its the back ones I wonder where the optimal place would be.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Back is just filler anyway. Screw the passengers. :biggrin:

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
I think I might put the rear ones on the pillars between the doors. Im screwing the passengers while getting the full range lol

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
I had 2 sets of components in my 2002, with the rear tweeters mounted ~6" above the woofer, I tried mounted the front tweeters in three different places and finally settling on stock Bose location in the dash due to multiple factors.
The new/current audio build has rear fill speakers that will be able to shut off when I want to turn up the volume. I found that when it's just me in the truck and I'm listening at high volume the highs from the rear were distracting. To have the ability to tune that out with time correction would have made that effect way less noticeable but I didn't have anything remotely cool enough to do that. Personal preference prevails though, my taste has changed too.

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
I have finally started on tearing down the interior to install these two pair. I am going to try the pillar first then the stock bose location. Chances are I will go with the bose. As for my rear tweeters I will try to figure out the best place for those. My kenwood head unit gives me the ability to adjust a lot of things and timing is one of them I believe :smile:

I got my second skin on order and cant wait to dive into this. Should I keep that black rubber sound deadener thing thats factory on the doors? Install the deadener under it? Do you put deadener inside the door too?

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
I had my tweeters installed in the factory Bose location and it sounded good. For some reason though I preferred them in the door panel in front of the door handle.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It makes for a very spacious effect with them in the dash. But you can tell that there is separation between the tweeter and mid. Personally I'd like the woofer moved higher because otherwise the tweeters really don't sound bad in the dash. There is an old photo of how bose did the factory system in the C4 corvettes and they bounce it around off things to create the sound stage. Maybe it was the same principal for the dash and windshield...

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
I would stick as much sound deadening on the outer door skin as possible, when I took my green tb's door panel apart the black rubber liner kinda just fell off so I replaced it with deadener too but my gray truck had some open cell foam deal going on in there and it was very well adhered so I worked around it trying to leave as much in tact as possible. The cool part is that you can literally hear the difference as you add it; knock on the outside of your door after the first go round and compare the tone to the undeadened side. You'll notice a difference and just keep adding till it sounds super solid. Add little strips to anything you think might rattle around, but know you can achieve great results even if you dont cover every surface 100%.

chatterx

Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Many thanks for the replies

The rubber is adhered pretty well still to the door. I will remove it and reinstall it when done. The back two doors are terrible. Whenever I close the door it sounds like something is rattling around in there really good. Its the same sound on both sides. So I am sure that adding deadening material to that will relieve that. I can also replicate the sound by knocking on it. Its somewhere near the top.

I would assume second skin deadening material is suitable enough to adhere on the door skins and it stay there? Especially on hot days? I ask this question because Ive used fatmat before and it just melted right off my trunk lid on my stratus I had.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online