18's to 20's, what's out there?

IPT

Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Hey guys -I currently have American Racing 18 inch rims (I think 30mm offset) with the 6x5 (.5?) lug pattern.
Anyway, I love they way they are wider then stock and pushed the wheels out toward the edge of the fender. Soem may be the width but I think the offset is different then stock too. I'm considering lowering the truck (2 inch rear and then just a tad in the front to level it or make it a 1/2 lower then the rear).

I'm considering going up to 20's for looks. I see the Marins are hard to find now, if at all. What other options are there? I was not really impressed with what the tire rack had. I don;t want to use spacers to change the lug pattern. I'd prefer black, maybe brushed. nothing polished.

How about the weight? I think the Marins are in the 26# neigborhood. I'm already at 11 MPG so I don;t want to kill it much more. KMC slides still fit right? Big weight difference? Other options for 20's?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Not much out there in our 6x5 pattern honestly.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Most of what I've found that is available in 6x5 you can't actually find for sale. I've found some nice Boss rims and Euromax, can't find anyone who actually has them. Still looking myself. Good luck. Let us all know if you find anything worth having. Belle tire has a nice set of black American Racing wheels i came across but they're satin or
Flat black. I forget which. If you have Belle tire where you live.

http://www.belletire.com/wheel-detail/blks/111533/american-racing-vintage/circuit/satin-black

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Some members have also had rims drilled for our pattern. Might cost a bit more, but you could likely get exactly what you want.

No Tyme

Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
Sorry, but I am new to this forum... I have considered going to adapters but I am hearing a lot of negative posting on other forums...
I ask this to see if anyone has considered this and why they choose to or NOT to...

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
No Tyme said:
Sorry, but I am new to this forum... I have considered going to adapters but I am hearing a lot of negative posting on other forums...
I ask this to see if anyone has considered this and why they choose to or NOT to...
Most of the guys that lift these trucks use adapters. Haven't heard anything negative about them. Personally I don't want to push the wheels out any further than they already are. Like to find a wheel with a bit of a lip to it. Plus I'm going to lower it. My personal preference is all that is.

Boss Motorsports had a few nice rims available in 6x5 if you can find them anywhere. I'm looking to get the Boss 313's myself or the 315's. I started a tread about them trying to find anyone who's found them anywhere. No luck so far

http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/13710-source-for-boss-or-euromax/#entry442588

Reactions: No Tyme

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
No Tyme said:
Adapters are fine. They bolt on and while maybe create a bit of extra stress, they are used by tons of members and many custom vehicle builders. They old ones from decades back were iffy, but the new ones are almost standard issue in many custom builds. Jeep guys abuse the heck out of them. I have ran them for about 75K miles and have zero issue. As long as you install them properly they are safe.

The thinnest you can likely do safely is 1 inch and you will need to trim the non-threaded portion of the factory studs to do so, but at 1.5 inches you do nothing but bolt them on.

You can easily find a lower offset rim to make up for the extra 1.5 inches if you do go to a more common 6x5.5 pattern via adapters.

IPT

Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
thanks guys. yeah looks like I'll probably be sticking with the 18's just out of not being able to find anything else. In the case that I do, is the offset 30 or 38mm? I see my wheels come in either but I don't remember which I got.

I know people used to run the 2Crave wheels. Are they junk, heavy, or what?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Backspacing is 6 inches stock. Offset would vary by rim width so you may not want to base off that.

Never heard of 2crave.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
There's always the Trailblazer SS repros.
They have them in black. Check out TBSSowners.com forum. Tony sells them pretty reasonable. He has them in 20" and 22"

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just not a fan of the SS wheels. OK for stock but for the money I would have to go aftermarket.

IPT

Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Backspacing is 6 inches stock. Offset would vary by rim width so you may not want to base off that.

Never heard of 2crave.
Cool, thanks. So what does the offset #"30" mean? (out of curiosity). The "backspacing" is the measurement from the inside face of the wheel hub to the inner rim edge?

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
HARDTRAILZ said:
Just not a fan of the SS wheels. OK for stock but for the money I would have to go aftermarket.
Me either, especially on my Rainier. On a TB maybe. They're an option though. Not too pricey and they'll fit for sure. They seem to be pretty popular.

IPT

Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Tiggerr said:
Me either, especially on my Rainier. On a TB maybe. They're an option though. Not too pricey and they'll fit for sure. They seem to be pretty popular.
Dunno, options are slim. Even a lot of the wheels that used to fit aren't available any longer. The 20" replicas may be an option. Anyone know how the weight compares to an 18inch AR Marin wheel?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

IPT

Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
been emailing with Norcal recently about a drop. Probably only going to do 2" rear and level front. Who knows, might do the 3/2 thing but I think then I need UCA's.

Seriously considering the TBSS repros. I'm about to do a search, but does anyone know how the differ from stock TBSS wheels? Different offset?

Here are the 2Crave wheels. I've seen them on TB's before. Not sure if yo can still get them, the weight, or the quality. http://www.victoriatire.com/wheel_2%20CRAVE_No4%20BLACK%20SUV_CHEVROLET_TRAILBLAZER%2002-05_20_20

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
IPT said:
Seriously considering the TBSS repros. I'm about to do a search, but does anyone know how the differ from stock TBSS wheels? Different offset?
They don't have any differences other than the finish, and obviously option for 22"s.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
You can get a 20x10 wide rep for the rear.

IPT

Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
24v 4.2 said:
You can get a 20x10 wide rep for the rear.
I'm 4x4 though. Guess as long as the tire height was the same it wouldn't matter? Couldn't rotate them then. Would look sweet though. Wish I had an SS :smile:. Would match my SS Camaro well. Wife is one board with only one SS at a time :sadcry:. Oddly I don;t think the SS would get worse gas mileage then I'm getting now (11mpg) but I still can't sell her on the idea. Oh well.

No Tyme

Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
Thanks for your reply's to my question... My trailblazer is stock, will remain basically stock, so it looks like I will search for some 20" SS wheels. I just don't like the idea of adapters with all the negative research that I have done.
Besides my ride is a daily driver nothing really special.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
No Tyme said:
Thanks for your reply's to my question... My trailblazer is stock, will remain basically stock, so it looks like I will search for some 20" SS wheels. I just don't like the idea of adapters with all the negative research that I have done.
Besides my ride is a daily driver nothing really special.
Best price I've seen on repros is over there at TBSSowners.com. His price beats ebay or anywhere else I've seen them.

IPT

Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
yup, need to speak with Tony, again. His price is higher because of the shipping to AK for me. Maybe I can send to seattle and have them barged up. Or, Ebay has them for $135 shipped - not sure they'll honor that once they see the Zip :smile:.

IPT

Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
BlazingTrails said:

HARDTRAILZ said:
So what if they don't list the backspacing? the 6" back space doesn't convert to what I'm seeing for offsets.

6" = 152 mm.

I currently have an 8.5 inch wheel with +30 offset. (doesn't mention backspace)

The replicas are 8 in wide with a +45 offset. (doesn't mention backspace)

15mm = .6 inches. So it'll be out about half an inch more, but the wheel is half an inch more narrow. Width will be on inside and out, so halved so I'll be sitting outbound an additional 1/4", or am I missing an important element :smile:. Obviously the replica's will fit I'm just wondering how they'll sit compared to what I have now.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I wish they did not put offset. Backspacing is what I think should be advertised cause if it is not, you need to calculate it out.

IPT

Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
well in this case I know the backspacing is enough since the wheel is made for the TB. Given that I have an 8.5 wide wheel now and will be going to a 8 inch wheel, all other parts being equal my rim lip moves inboard 1/4 inch, right? (1/2 of the total width loss)

However, since I will be gaining about a 1/2 inch in offset, I would actually be outboard a 1/4 over where I am now, right? (move in 1/4 inch from width loss, but move out 1/2 inch from + offset)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online