17" Tires

UMEXT

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
So, I have good rubber on my TB, but I've been looking at prices on 17" truck tires, and it's frightening.

Assuming I keep it on the asphalt, is there any technical reason I can't use 17" car tires?

Thanks...

SteelCityFan

Jan 2, 2012
Idk if that would be possible due to the load ranges of passenger cars someone correct me if I'm wrong

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The truck came with Passenger rated tires from the factory, they probably were P245/65R17.

Spong

Dec 12, 2011
It all depends on how you use your TB. Do you haul or tow with it much? If you do, I would keep the load rating of the tire in mind.

Seeing that you are in FL, traction isn't so much of an issue so you could easily get away with a highway type tire.

moneypit

Dec 7, 2011
I was amazed too and did want a quality tire at a great price...if that's possible lol. Ended up with Destination AT's for 650.00 total and that was for 265/65/17's...this was a little over a year ago.

Vicompc

Dec 5, 2011
Spong said:
It all depends on how you use your TB. Do you haul or tow with it much? If you do, I would keep the load rating of the tire in mind.

Seeing that you are in FL, traction isn't so much of an issue so you could easily get away with a highway type tire.

I agree, you can run passenger car tires. :thumbsup:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
As long as you're using it for passenger-type purposes. If you're using it as a light truck, get LT tires. And passenger tires can vary WIDELY in price depending on how you want to use the vehicle. A high speed cornering enthusiast is going to value traction and might not care about tread lifetime. A frugal person who drives like a granny might focus on tread lifetime and not care about traction. If you're not going to keep the vehicle more and a year or two, that's another part of your choice equation. Only you know what you value the most.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online