07 Suburban LTZ DVD/CD player not working.

navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Hi folks, my DVD/CD player is working intermittently now.
It is the factory Bose unit, XM capable(we don't subscribe), backup camera, GPS, DVD (with remote screen), CD, dolby digital surround etc.
The CD/DVD player works sometimes. When it doesn't work, it will load/eject the disk just fine it just won't play and eventually says disk error.
It seems that it will work when you first crank up but if you drive for a while and change DVD/CD or turn the player off and try to start it again it won't work. If it "cools off" after a restart sometimes it will work again. Does this sound like something that can be fixed? Can you clean the reader like on a PC?

I expect it is just time to bite the bullet and replace it but I don't even know what to buy. I don't plan on taking it to a dealer. I might take it to an audio shop but thought I might do a little digging and brain picking before I do and see if I can get something reasonable and replace it myself. The most recent extent of my audio work replacing a CD player in a 98 Cherokee and splicing a bunch of wires to the old ones where the previous owner had cut all the wires to the previous unit. I can usually figure things out after enough reading and I own am somewhat literate with a volt/ohm meter. Best I can understand I need a "double din" unit. Mine is about 2X as tall as a standard CD player.
I figure it isn't as simple as pulling out the old unit and plugging in the new unit.
I expect there are some adapters for the remote DVD screen, GPS, backup camera, XM radio, FM stereo antennas etc.

Any ideas? I'm a tightwad at heart but this is the wife's DD and the nicest vehicle I have ever owned. While I don't need name brand stuff, I want it to sound/work good and but I also don't want to overpay. I expect I am going to sink between $500 or so. Any ideas on a replacement unit? I've done a little searching but at this point I don't really know what I need to be searching for yet.

thanks in advance,
Chris

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have you tried using a can of compressed air (for PC cleaning) through the slot and blowing the dust out of it? It could be an accumulation of dust on the lens. Years ago, I used a CD cleaning disk on a car CD player and it cleared up reading errors. It had two tiny brushes that would sweep the lens while playing.

As for replacing it, you will definitely need an interface to the stock wiring, like the AX-ADGM100 if you have rear seat entertainment and steering controls but it's not cheap. Although I can't find this particular one online (it seems to be new), a previous similar model was in the $200 range. Or if you don't have those options or don't mind losing them, you could go with a simpler interface like the GMOS-LAN-02. As for a HU, I am looking at Android units on eBay, like this one: Android 4 0 HD 7" 2 DIN IN Dash CAR DVD Radio Stereo Player Wifi 3G GPS Tablet | eBay . The fun thing, you can use the pad separately. There are some simpler models on eBay that would be cheaper but with non-removable faceplates. Lots of options out there. My attraction to the Androids is the possibility of using Torque connected to my Bluetooth ELM27 to read the OBD2 and use whatever GPS software I want.

navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Not sure why I hadn't thought of trying to blow it out. I'll give that a try and see if that works.
Mine does have the steering controls so it would be great to keep those features.
I'll try that during my lunch break and see if that helps.

navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
navigator said:
Not sure why I hadn't thought of trying to blow it out. I'll give that a try and see if that works.
Mine does have the steering controls so it would be great to keep those features.
I'll try that during my lunch break and see if that helps.

Ok, I checked the CD player during lunch and it wouldn't read the disk.
I blew it out and it still wouldn't read the disk.

I guess the next step is a replacement unit.
I like the idea of an android unit because I have an ELM7 adapter that I would like to use with Torque.
My thing is it needs to be easy to use. My wife is really smart but doesn't like to learn new technology.

Keep the feedback/suggestions coming!

navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
ok, I have called 4 local places and BestBuy to get some estimates on a replacement unit.
3 of the places are pretty much in line (including BestBuy) at about $400 for the wiring harness items, steering controls interface and installation. That would be in addition to the cost of the HU.

One "reputable" place quoted me about $400 for the wiring hardware and another $400 for the installation labor + the cost of the HU.

One of the places I called said the Bose was so complex he would prefer I call the "reputable" company who has more experience dealing with the Bose.

I'm still waiting on a quote from one of the companies.

3 of the places all recommended this HU as a replacement.
Amazon.com: Kenwood DNX570HD Touchscreen In-Dash 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with Navigation/Bluetooth/HD Radio: GPS & Navigation

The one thing I am kind of wrestling with though is 3 of the companies all give similar quotes on installation. The one company that "does 2-3" per day gives an estimate that is double the other companies. I can't decide if the one company is overcharging or if the other 3 don't really deal with the Bose that much and are under-estimating the cost/expense.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
My friend put a Clarion NX 602 in his Sierra earlier this year and loves it, except he can't get his Android phone to connect through the USB plug, apparently it's a iPhone plug. He does get Bluetooth to work and can also use the 3.5m input. He really likes the navigation it has too. I think BO TIE SS had a NX702...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The Bose is not that much more difficult as long as you have the proper interface unit. Maybe a couple of extra wires but that's it and it uses the low audio outputs instead of the amp output on the HU via the RCA plugs. No biggie. The interface itself will be more expensive but wiring it up shouldn't be.

ddgm

May 7, 2013
One thing about the Kenwood DNX models is that they use the Garmin GPS, which in my opinion is the best.
When I get back to Florida in the fall, I'm going to put one in my Saab 9-7x and install a backup camera too.

Doug

navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
ddgm said:
One thing about the Kenwood DNX models is that they use the Garmin GPS, which in my opinion is the best.
When I get back to Florida in the fall, I'm going to put one in my Saab 9-7x and install a backup camera too.

Doug

many of the installers mentioned they liked the Kenwood because of the Garmin. I know Garmin has a great reputation but I don't recall if I have ever used one.I have a cheap Tom-Tom that we are really comfortable with and the Clarion I understand uses Tom-Tom GPS. The only time I have had an issue with the Tom-Tom is with new roads but I would expect that to be an issue for any GPS. I'm unsure what the OEM nav system uses but I don't like it as well as our Tom-Tom but that could be more of a familiarity thing.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
I think BO TIE SS had a NX702...
Not me. My 'Hoe has an old Pioneer.

2013-02-09_16-21-41_521_zpsaf542324.jpg

navigator

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
thanks everyone for the comments. I ended up ordering the Kenwood DNX570HD. Once I get it installed I will report back.

ddgm

May 7, 2013
Report!:biggrin:

Interested in your views about the Kenwood as I intend to install one in the fall.

Doug

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online