07 Silverado high idle in park after battery replaced

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I'm not too familiar with the newer style silverados (the 07 and later body) and this is too good not to share. Today I had a battery die on me during some koeo testing. It was the original from 07 so no surprise there. So I put a new battery in. I went on a road test to make sure that the unrelated repairs were ok, and when I shifted into park, the rpms shot to 2500. I went through the gears, and park/neutral had a stupid high idle. The commanded tac was 25% while this was happening. So I disconnected the batt and cleaned the tbody. No change. Then I found this:

s3.jpg
This is where it gets weird. I followed the reset procedure since I did clean the throttle body. The reset procedure brought the commanded tac to 6% in park/neutral. But the throttle body wasn't clean when it was initially at 25%. Maybe I'm missing something but it should have learned the dirty throttle body. I wish I had more time to get to the bottom of this but since I don't have one of my own to test I'll post this for future reference.

Too long didn't read

battery replaced
tac 25% in park
clean throttle body aint help
had to use scan tool

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Great find! I will have to remember this in case it happens to my 14.

Reactions: MAY03LT

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Test drive didn't make it relearn? I'm trying to remember how the mechanic at work relearns them... Heard of it having to be done a few times.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Test drive didn't make it relearn? I'm trying to remember how the mechanic at work relearns them... Heard of it having to be done a few times.

On its initial startup with the new battery, I let it idle for a couple minutes while it was in air (making sure that oil pressure switch wasn't leaking). Then I backed it out, put it in park, closed the bay door, went on a road test, then the fun began. A road test is all that I need for our trucks plus the 03-06 full sizes. I don't know what makes this one so special LOL

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Why can't it be like the GMT360 where you just clean the throttle body, disconnect the battery for a while, then put it all back together?

Something stupid I get to look forward to on my 07?

sigh

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Nice find. I did clean the TB on my '08 Sierra and didn't actually have any issues. But this good information for future use!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online