07 GMC Envoy Denali with leaking suspension problem!

JHornak

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
I have a 2007 Envoy Denali with a leaking rear suspension problem that seems very common. Some nights it lowers down to the ground, some nights it doesn't move a millimeter. Some nights it takes 1 hour to lower, some nights it takes 12 hours. I have been reading about a check valve repair kit for the air compressor, does anyone know if it is available for the 2007 Envoy? Or has anyone had the same issue that could tell me how they fixed it?

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
JHornak said:
I have a 2007 Envoy Denali with a leaking rear suspension problem that seems very common. Some nights it lowers down to the ground, some nights it doesn't move a millimeter. Some nights it takes 1 hour to lower, some nights it takes 12 hours. I have been reading about a check valve repair kit for the air compressor, does anyone know if it is available for the 2007 Envoy? Or has anyone had the same issue that could tell me how they fixed it?

The check valve is used only while the compressor is running. It it used on the Intake of the compressor and causes a problem lifting the vehicle when it is low.

IMO the problem is with the seals on the internal left/right solenoids of the compressor.

I had similar experience with mine, not as pronounced but some mornings a inch or two, others nothing.

It has been steady for the last few months and the only thing different is that I carried numerous heavy loads of building supplies including drywall over a couple month period. Don't know if it is repairable, no GM repair parts other than the check valve, but new compressors are available.

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
Also possible that the air bags are cracked and weeping air. I looked at mine recently and they are covered in cracks. Still holds air no problem, but I have a set of bags in the garage for when they DO fail.

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
One more thing. To search for an air leak, use soap and water and cover the air bags and all air lines. Look for bubbles.

JHornak

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for your input! I will check for cracks in the bags or leaks from the air lines. It was a cracked bag or leaking air line, wouldn't it leak down at the same rate all the time? Like I said originally, sometimes it does it in 2 hours, but other times it could take 20 hours!

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
JHornak said:
Thanks for your input! I will check for cracks in the bags or leaks from the air lines. It was a cracked bag or leaking air line, wouldn't it leak down at the same rate all the time? Like I said originally, sometimes it does it in 2 hours, but other times it could take 20 hours!

OR trash the shit bags and go with coils....

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
JHornak said:

This seems to be a common problem and the fix is usually a new compressor because that's where all the majic happens.Check for a code flashing LED at the inflator station but,it's probably not going to flash with your problem.Try some heat on the compressor,could be some trapped water that's frozen...Mike.
ps I bought a new compressor from Arnott.

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
JHornak said:

Could be the position the bags are in. Loaded or unloaded when parked, the angle parked. Fully extended bags or not could partly slowly the leak. Others have had it drop or not drop overnight. Some hate the bags, others love them. I tow and love how it self levels. If you want to keep the bags, it could/will be expensive to replace parts.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
jrSS said:
OR trash the shit bags and go with coils....

Just did this on my SS, Belltech 2" drop springs and shocks. Rides TONS better than the stock setup even at stock height.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Had the 2" drop springs myself on my voy.....did ride damn good. However I was kickin myself in the ass for not getting the djm 4" drop springs.

johnstonjohnr

Dec 29, 2012
I am now having the same problem with leaking. I don't know how but it seems the colder it is outside the faster the air leaks out. On a 70 degree day...no movement at all. 30 degree night she will be sitting on the ground in no time. I guess maybe the cold makes the air shock less pliable and there by making the cracks stay open more. :undecided: Hell I don't know, I just know the damn thing is leaking when its cold outside. :hissyfit: I think she just wants to come inside with me at night. :wink::wink: Come on warm weather!!!!! :wootwoot:

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
johnstonjohnr said:
I am now having the same problem with leaking. I don't know how but it seems the colder it is outside the faster the air leaks out. On a 70 degree day...no movement at all. 30 degree night she will be sitting on the ground in no time. I guess maybe the cold makes the air shock less pliable and there by making the cracks stay open more. :undecided: Hell I don't know, I just know the damn thing is leaking when its cold outside. :hissyfit: I think she just wants to come inside with me at night. :wink::wink: Come on warm weather!!!!! :wootwoot:

Unfortunately, the problem is more likely inside the compressor related to the solenoid seals. I have not heard of or done an autopsy of a compressor so don't know if it is even repairable.

IMHO:
Any case where the leaking can go from fast to slow and back to fast is likely those compressor solenoid seals.

Leaks in the bags and lines normally just gets worse over time.

A problem with the repairable compressor check valve prevents the running compressor from lifting the vehicle.

Morty

Jul 22, 2012
JHornak said:

I had the same issue. I replaced my airbags with springs. When doing so i saw that only 1 bag had begun to dry rot/crack. The other was in decent shape.

Very happy i went with the z71 springs.

<a href=http://download.cnet.com/Free-Youtube-Downloader-Pro/3000-2071_4-75329731.html >youtube downloader</a>

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
johnstonjohnr said:

I would bet that you have moisture in your compressor which freezes and then expands and opens the bleed valve.Try putting a trouble light under the compressor at night,if that works you can probably ride it out until spring.Eventually you will probably need a new unit...Mike

shadowwar

Jan 4, 2013
I just had this happen where overnight on cold night or really cold day it would sink in a couple hours. Both airbags were dry rotted. But would reinflate when truck was started. Replaced both bags with Arnotts from Advanced auto parts and now it doesnt sink at all.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
shadowwar said:
I just had this happen where overnight on cold night or really cold day it would sink in a couple hours. Both airbags were dry rotted. But would reinflate when truck was started. Replaced both bags with Arnotts from Advanced auto parts and now it doesnt sink at all.

Nice to have that repaired I bet, I was curious if you used Arnott originals or these new Arnott Gen 2 bag? https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_GMC_yid15_pid120_gid496.html

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online