06 Trailblazer Wheel Bearing Help

dgreen24

Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Hey Guys,

Looking for a little insight on a problem with my 06 Trailblazer LT. I have a low growling noise coming from my trailblazer. I can hear the noise when I am driving "straight" and it seems slightly louder when I turn "right". When I turn "left" the noise disappears. I jacked the truck up and grabbed both tires to see if there was in any play, & I discovered that the passenger "tie rod" was bad so I replaced both of those this weekend. I also had the front passenger wheel bearing replaced yesterday along with new General Grabber HTS tires and an alignment to no avail. I am assuming that it has to be the driver side bearing but when I spin the tire or grab the stud bolts and turn the hub I dont hear or feel any grinding. It still doesnt mean its not bad just seeing if I missed any here.

ANy help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! Why was the passenger side bearing replaced? Normally (but not always) a bearing that gets slightly less noisy when turning left is the driver's side because the bearing on the inside of a turn gets less stress. A few of us have been fooled before, but most often, if the noise is softer when turning, the bad bearing's on the inside of the turn.

The reason a bearing will often not feel bad is when you've jacked it up and tire is hanging in the air, the bearing uses a different surface to carry the load. When the tire is hanging, the TOP of the bearing race on the vehicle carries the weight. When the weight of the vehicle is on the tire, the race is stressed on the BOTTOM, and possibly damaged.

Can you share the mileage? That's typically an important number to put in the first post.

dgreen24

Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Hey Roadie - I was hoping you would reply. I think you have helped me in the past and your always mentioned as an expert for these trucks.

My truck currently has 89,000 miles.

Anyways, why the drivers side was replaced is anyone's guess. My friend owns a shop but he primarily specializes in repairing "Junk Cars" and scrapping the ones that can't be fixed or aren't worth it. While I know the mechanics that work for him are capable at fixing things, it's most likely there diagnoses skills or time constraints are the problem. They are pushed to get things done fast so cars can be put on the lot for sale. I specially asked them to use the "scope" to isolate which bearing was bad and they replaced the passenger side. After a little complaining, if I supply the bearing, he will have it installed for $40.00, hard to beat that.

Is there anything else it could be?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
dgreen24 said:
Is there anything else it could be?
Dry differential. Messed up splined disconnect on the passenger side on the inboard side of the CV shaft. Either CV shaft.

Did you get all the fluids changed or checked? I always mention the transfer case which needs changing every 50K.

dgreen24

Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I believe I did have the the transfer case fluid changed when I replaced the transmission. Hopefully its a wheel bearing!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online