06 5.3 VIN M, Lifter Noise, Zero Compeession Cyl #1. DOD Delete help

ChevyShawn

Original poster
May 2, 2017
Terre Haune, In
Good evening
I have an 06 Chevy Trailblazer with 5.3 VIN M. I am about to tear into it and attempt to do a DOD delete. It has zero compression on cylinder 1, misfire cylinder 1 and a random misfire code. It still carries 40 PSI Oil Pressure and other then the lifter tapping it sounds good.
Do you have any advice? Where should I start? Where do you get parts from? I had looked at Texas speed.com. Anything I should do or not due. I would like to have the heads redone while off too. Any other upgrades I should consider? This is a family vehicle, Wanting it to run smooth and quiet but also wouldn't mind a little more power if all that can go into one package. We do pull a trailer with it now and then.

I thought I had read that I can get a Stock non DOD Cam and not have to have the PCM Reprogramed, Is that true. I should also ask, Do you recomend stock cam since I'm this far in or do you recomend something else. If I have to have the PCM reprogramed can it be sent off and programmed or does it need to stay with the vehicle? Can it be ran safely without having it reprogramed
Thanks in advance for your time
Shawn Foster. Terre Haute, Indiana

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Yeah it sounds like Lifter 1 is collapsed, I had the same issue on my previous 05 Trailblazer. I ended up having the repair work done by the dealer (long story, they refused to put a new engine in), but the cam swap would get you the little extra power you're looking for.
One of the members here has a thread of what they did to rebuild their 5.3;
http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/collapsed-lifter.16702/

I'm pretty sure its safe to send the PCM and TCM out to have it reprogrammed while the engine is torn apart, most here either send theirs to @limequat or PCM of NC. They'll be able to turn of DoD in the computer and load a custom tune/shift points etc and have an overall more "responsive" vehicle. I haven't personally torn into this engine (lack of experience bah), but many of the others who will chime in have so they'll be able to answer the more technical questions! :smile: @Mooseman is pretty familiar with the inner workings and parts needed.

Besides Texas Speed, I know PCM of NC sells everything (or nearly) of what is needed for the rebuild. Lifters can be bought on Amazon, or eBay as well.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I used the info at this site for the parts:
DOD / AFM Delete Kit for 5.3/6.0/6.2 Engines

I used lime-swap.com (@limequat here) for the tune. Just as good (or better) than PCMofNC but much cheaper. Great turnaround.

You had sent me a PM which I will quote and then answer:
Goodmorning!
I am new here and was referred to you. I am going to be doing a DOD Delete on my 06 Trailblazer 5.3 Vin M. I have a few questions. I know a few companys offer kits for this but also thought since I have nothing but time I may be able to piece it together cheaper. This broke out of nowhere so I am on a budget.

1. If I am not buying a kit what valley cover would work to replace the DOD Cover.

2. Is it ok to tap and cap the holes under the DOD Cover.

3. What is a good cam I can install that may give me better performance / power / torque but still run smooth. I pull a trailer now and then with this but is also my daily driver. I don't mind sending the computers off for reprogram if needed but would prefer not to.

4. What other things should I do while apart? I was going to send heads out to be redone. Can I keep stock springs? What about oil pump, timing chain or tensor upgrades / updates?

1 and 2: The link I just posted lists GM Part# 12598832 for the valley cover, which has all gaskets and also seals the DoD lifter feeds. You do not need to tap and plug them with this cover.

3: I just used a stock 4.8/5.3 non-DoD cam. On your '06, anything from an older 4.8/5.3 will work.

4: Used a chain tensioner from a later model year (07+) instead of that plastic block in the middle. I recommend you replace the oil pump as they are known to fail in the pressure relief valve. Use an OEM for a Dod engine. I used a Melling stock replacement for a regular LS engine and my pressure is lower. So much so that when the oil is at about 40% life left, it trips an oil pressure performance below threshold code. Not a low oil pressure but it's a code for the DoD system even though it's been disabled. Only after I find out I should have used a DoD oil pump. I might change it again later on.

This thread has lots of info already discussed, including how to deal with the oil pump pickup bolt without pulling the oil pan.
http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/collapsed-lifter.16702/#post-527344

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

ChevyShawn

Original poster
May 2, 2017
Terre Haune, In
Thanks for the help. I have been able to get everything ordered but the camshaft. I struggle with understanding cam specs.

If I understand correctly, I currently have GM 3 bolt cam gear 12569525 in it now. I can not find speck on it.

Texas Speed provides GM 12560967 with there DOD deleate kits. I am tring to figure out if this is equal to to origional GM 12569525 cam I currently have.

Do you gain any power / torque when having DOD deleated and having it tuned. I would like a little more torque / power if possible and keep a fairly smooth running vehicle. I don't mind hearing it out the backend but don't want to be a milkshake at stoplights

Thanks in advance for your time and info
Shawn

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
From my understanding, the current camshaft was designed around the use of the DoD lifters. I'm pretty positive the one Texas Speed offers is the non-DoD version used with the lifters they provide. Power wise, the one they provide may be equivalent to what you have (don't quote me on it), but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask. If you can, I would call PCM of NC, they may have a performance cam that may provide better results in the power area and they specialize in working on LS engines so they'll know for sure.

What you really gain from the delete, is the peace of mind of not working about the lifters crapping out after "x" amount of miles. :yes:

Once you have the PCM tuned/flashed, you'll notice a difference. The recalibrated shift points, and having the torque management dialed down really makes these things come to life.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Also lower oil consumption. There are no performance gains from the delete itself unless you put in a performance cam. The tune itself will improve some things, as mentioned by @Mike534x . A tune does wake this beast up.

And you MUST replace the cam. The DoD cam will not work well with non-DoD lifters. I picked up a used cam from an older 5.3 that uses the 3 bolt cam gear, which is what is in the 2006.

ChevyShawn

Original poster
May 2, 2017
Terre Haune, In
I have everything gatered up but the cam. I am torn with what cam to use. As I stated above, I am lost when it comes to understanding cam numbers. Someone told me that the GM cam 88958774 or cam kit 88958775 would be grwat for what I am wanting. I honestly don't know if I can handle $450 for the cam kit and not know anything about it. Here are the info on it

Attachments

• d22fedca-1184-4de4-8102-489529479300.jpg
    d22fedca-1184-4de4-8102-489529479300.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 5

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
You could call a local speed shop/engine shop.... tell them what your working with and what you want out of it, and see what they'd recommend..
Could even call Summit Racing and ask them...

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online