Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Please help...

I have 04 trailblazer LT and I have changed the following:

1. Upper control arms
2. Upper balljoints
3. Lower balljoints
4. VVT and cam sensor

Everything works fine but I get a rattle which seems to come from the passenger side. I am including a short video of the rattle.

Please help this is driving me crazy

Please click on this link:

https://youtu.be/5YCal21TXXc

albsilk305

Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
I will recheck the heat shield but last time I checked it seemed fine.

Thanks for your reply.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
IIRC, there are 4 heat shields. Exhaust manifold, Cat, muffler and resonator.

albsilk305

Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
The heat shield seems to be tight. I think it may be the muffler. I will test drive with my wife so I can take video close to the muffler. Can you recommend a brand of muffler and do you think I should remove the resonator at the same time.

Thanks for your input

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
If you poke around the forum you'll find a lot of info on both mufflers and the resonator, I've not had to replace my muffler yet but have had the best luck with Walker over the years. It'll run about $100 for their best OE style offering for this platform. Yes, you should go ahead and choo the resonator. 2.5 inch straight pipe gets rid of potential rattling (mine was very nosy) and looks much better too.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Get under the truck, and bang on the muffler. I had a similar problem on my old trailblazer, and it was an exhaust hanger tapping on the frame.

albsilk305

Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Are their any other options for a muffler besides OEM? The OEM muffler is really expensive.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just so you know, an aftermarket performance muffler is not available in our funky 2.75" pipe size so you would need adapters. I have a 3" stainless system in my '02 TB and have tried three different mufflers: JBA Headers, Dynomax VT and Magnaflow. JBA was just loud with drone, the Dynomax was OK until the spring for the valve failed and was just loud all the time. The Magnaflow was good at first but eventually became louder over time but is still the best for drone while cruising. I did videos on how they sound parked but while driving and accelerating, I find they all make the truck sound like a fat ricer.

JBA Headers exhaust on I6 TrailBlazer

Dynomax VT muffler on I6 TrailBlazer

Magnaflow 12579 muffler on I6 TrailBlazer

albsilk305

Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Mooseman, so what muffler do you currently have installed and do you recommend removing the resonator?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I currently have the Magnaflow. Still too noisy on acceleration but drone while cruising is the least annoying. Resonator is your personal preference but if you want to reduce drone to a minimum, keep it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online

No members online now.