03 tb water leaking from headliner

hawkeye405

Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
I have an 03 tb and last week we had a severe storm. As I pulled into the lot at work, water started leaking or pouring from just above the rear view mirror and then right above the steering wheel. I had to place plastic bags on top of the steering wheel to guide the water onto the weathertech floor mat.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do you have a sunroof?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I remember I also had that on a Montana van where the windshield channel rusted through and let water in big time. Maybe peel off the rubber molding and check.

Could also be rust under the roof rack hidden.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds like a failed windshield seal to me as a first guess.

Reactions: Capote

hawkeye405

Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
In 2002 when I bought my TB, I took it in for the first oil change. the guy drove my TB out and said he was sorry that he couldn't wash it because of the windshield. I said there's nothing wrong with it but he then said it's cracked and he can't wash it. I looked at the windshield and I lost my cool. The windshield was cracked like a spiders web right down the center. I told the guy to drive it back in because the windshield was not cracked when I brought it in. Many four letter words were exchanged with the Service manager and they told me to go rent a car next door and they will replace the winshield.

I picked my TB up later that evening and all seemed well. My wife bought a new CUV and I began driving my TB a couple months ago. I strarted to notice a drip from above the rear view mirror every now and then so I asked my wife if she ever noticed that. She said it would drip every once in a while after a rain storm or wash. I took a close look at the outside seal and I was able to pull it right off. The guy who replaced my winshield in 2002 cut the rubber moulding off to get the winshield out and never replaced it. He laid a bead of silicone down in a few spots and pressed the cut seal in.

I removed the cut seal and the couple spots of silicone, cleaned the area and laid down a thick bead of new silicone and pressed the seal back down like the dealer did. Two days later, I washed the TB and no drips. Next week we had a torrencial downpour which is when I pulled into the parking lot at work. I sat there for a short time and all of a sudden, rain water began pouring down onto my stearing wheel.

And that's where I'm at now. I took the rails off the roof, cleaned everything and put down some silicone around all the screw holes and I put the rails back down making sure that all the screws were tight. A few days later, we had a storm and it seemed to be dry inside. During the next storm, the water began to drip in again.

I can't figure out where the water is coming from now.

Hawk

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds to me like they didn't seal the glass to the frame properly. The weather stripping around the glass isn't the actual seal. My upper piece has actually been loose on the passenger side for years but just tucked under the lip to hold it down.

Reactions: coolasice

hawkeye405

Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
So the glass is sealed directly to the body? No gasket? Why did my truck leak so much more water after I re sealed the whole top of the windshield?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Yeah, there's just a face on the pillars, roof, and firewall/dash that they seal it too. They use some fancy sealer made for windshields but I seem to remember that some kinds will deteriorate. Look on YouTube for windshield replacement and you'll see the face I'm talking of.

hawkeye405

Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
I watched several windshield replacement videos and they use a gasket / seal around the windshield along with a special windshield sealer that's applied to the body onto which the windshield is seated. I'll look into how much it will cost to have mine resealed.

hawkeye405

Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
After I removed my roof rack and cleaned it, I put a good coat of wax on the roof and applied silicone to the bottom of the rack around each screw hole. I reinstalled it and made sure all the screws were tight. A few days later, we had a very bad storm and no more leaks.

Reactions: Matt and Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon