02 envoy shutting off help!!

Abkc

Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
I have an 02 gmc envoy with the 4.2
For the last few days I started noticing when I would stop and try to take off there would be a slow response like if it wasn't catching in gear but it wouldn't rev up so I don't think it was that.. It would take like a second or 2 after I stepped on the gas for it to start going. I doesn't do it all the time only sometimes. Today when I was pulling out of a parking lot the voy completely shut off but there was still power to it. I tried to turn it back on but it kept turning over but wouldn't come one until I stepped on the gas to keep it on. When I put it in drive to start going again it shut off. I got it to turn on again and now it's back to whenever I stop and start going again it like want to shut off or takes a while to get going. It's not really a jerk it's more of a slow response. I would really appreciate any help on any ideas. Thank you
Also when I turned it back on on the dash it said low oil pressure stop engine. The oil level is good.

Abkc

Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
jrSS said:
Low Oil pressure not a good sign. Ses light come on?

No check engine light. It only read low oil pressure once but it's gone now.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Have you recently discharged or changed your battery? Ever taken the throttle body off for a cleaning?

Abkc

Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
the roadie said:
Have you recently discharged or changed your battery? Ever taken the throttle body off Foa a cleaning?

No I haven't done anything to the battery. I have never cleaned the throttle body. I have owned the voy for about 6 months and its at 148xxx so im going to try that tomorrow morning. thanks for the help.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I would do that first. If you don't know the maintenance history, you should also change the plugs to Delco 41-103 (due at 100K) and all fluids (especially the transfer case if you have 4WD because that's required every 50K). The fluids can't be related to your problem, but the plugs could be. I mention this to all new members with used trucks.

Abkc

Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
the roadie said:
I would do that first. If you don't know the maintenance history, you should also change the plugs to Delco 41-103 (due at 100K) and all fluids (especially the transfer case if you have 4WD because that's required every 50K). The fluids can't be related to your problem, but the plugs could be. I mention this to all new members with used trucks.

I was going to clean the throttle body but as I went to remove the resonator there was gasoline in it. And also and the small vacuum line that attaches to it. Does that mean the fuel regulator is bad?

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Abkc said:
I was going to clean the throttle body but as I went to remove the resonator there was gasoline in it. And also and the small vacuum line that attaches to it. Does that mean the fuel regulator is bad?

Yes. I don't recall anything else that would allow fuel in to that vacuum hose as well as the resonator except a failing fuel pressure regulator.
I'm sure someone will yell if there's something else that can create that condition.

Good Luck!

Chris

Abkc

Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
christo829 said:
Yes. I don't recall anything else that would allow fuel in to that vacuum hose as well as the resonator except a failing fuel pressure regulator.
I'm sure someone will yell if there's something else that can create that condition.

Good Luck!

Chris

Alright, I replaced the fuel pressure regulator. There was a lot of gas going into the resonator. The performance increased noticibly and the voy responds a lot quicker to the gas. I'm sure mileage is also going to increase. I didn't get to cleaning the throttle body due to time but I will do that tomorrow because it did seem dirty so I know that will help some.
Thank you all very much.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online