02 Envoy Hu replacement premium amp package

twistedmuscle

Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
ontario
Im happy to see this group is alive and well....

I have a 2002 GMC envoy, my head unit is tired, and im ready for an upgrade. I have purchased a new head unit, and now i am looking for a installation kit/wire harness kit.. I have searched hi and low for other threads on this matter. I have the premium boss package, confirmed via amp (GMT360) and codes in glove box(uqa).

Where i am having trouble is finding a proper wiring conversion kit.
Has anyone converted??

these are the models that i have found, but im still on the fence...
AXXESS AX-GMCL2-SWC
gmsrcl2 - not guaranteed to work with premium
Gmos4

I appreciate the help in advance . Thanks again!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Axxess/Metra are junk. I've had 3 of them fail on me. I have the PAC RP4-GM11. Great reliable unit. My only gripe is the built-in chime is loud and not adjustable.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Although I don't have the Bose system, I've also had bad experiences with several Metra/Axxess interfaces, and have gone with PAC.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Does PAC RP4-GM11 retain the Bose amp and steering wheel controls, just not onstar?

twistedmuscle

Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
ontario
Axxess/Metra are junk. I've had 3 of them fail on me. I have the PAC RP4-GM11. Great reliable unit. My only gripe is the built-in chime is loud and not adjustable.

Thanks for the help, i did search and look for reviews on this kit, it seems like alot of people have problems switching out the factory head unit.

Would you think by passing the amp would be a better option?

This conversion is gonna cost more than worth? LOL ......

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Does PAC RP4-GM11 retain the Bose amp and steering wheel controls, just not onstar?

Yes and Yes. However, on the '02, only buttons that work are volume because it doesn't recognize the other two for some reason. On my '06, it sees all button signals but my Android HU doesn't like the PAC signal. It did work with the JVC.

Would you think by passing the amp would be a better option?

Just more labour intensive, routing wires and such. The interface will work with the amp. The only issue I had was some engine/alternator noise so I had to add an RCA noise suppressor between the HU and interface. Not an expensive piece.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Yes and Yes. However, on the '02, only buttons that work are volume because it doesn't recognize the other two for some reason. On my '06, it sees all button signals but my Android HU doesn't like the PAC signal. It did work with the JVC.

So, the RP5-GM11 would probably be a better option to have both buttons work.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't know really. I think '02/'03 were the only years that had this button configuration of temp/fan and channel/am/fm/volume whereas later years have all radio functions.

02 buttons:
02 TB Steering buttons.jpg

05 buttons
05 TB Steering buttons.jpg

I think the PAC just doesn't see or recognize the am/fm/channel button signals, which I think are unique to these years only. Later years, all the buttons activate the interface. The OnStar button mutes the sound in the RP4. You can reprogram buttons in the PAC interface.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Hat tip to @Mooseman for this - My 03 has the 'early' layout, and it helps to know that a SWC interface probably wouldn't be compatible. Besides, the buttons are on the RH side of the wheel - it's not that much farther for my hand to reach the HU itself. I do like the HVAC buttons - just wish those and the radio controls were swapped w/ one another :duh:

On edit: to the OP - I would replace the amp - once the weather warms up, I'll be putting a replacement in, as mine is on its last legs.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I bought a PAC SWI-CP5 for my steering wheel controls. Bit more pricey than some of the other models, but it can auto detect what your configuration is (if you're stock) and can be custom programmed if you've done, or want to do, some modding.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online