02 Bowed out driver's seat back

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
My girl really likes her 2002 TrailBlazer, except for one thing. The driver's seat back feels like it bows out, where her back hits it, and does not bow in/concave enough. I have tried every adjustment I can think or for the lumbar but am having no success. Does anyone have any recommendations for this problem. This is a bone stock TB with cloth grey interior. This is so basic a TB, it does not even come with or support key fobs.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You could go in the lumbar motor in the back and cut the wire that pulls the lumbar bump out. Mine was broken so I just pulled and tied it to have the lumbar out since I like a lot of lumbar support.

Reactions: movietvet

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
You could go in the lumbar motor in the back and cut the wire that pulls the lumbar bump out. Mine was broken so I just pulled and tied it to have the lumbar out since I like a lot of lumbar support.
There is no lumbar adjustment motor. It is all manual adjustment. Very very basic TB.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could probably still defeat or remove it.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Could probably still defeat or remove it.
Makes sense for sure. Is there easy access to the back of the seat or will I need upholstery skills I do not have?

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I just looked and it appears that with the manual seal, all I do is move forward and back to expose the end of the rails and there is plastic covers at the ends. Pop them off and unbolt the seat and lift out and flip over and access thru the bottom to release covers and access inside. Sound about right or is there a different way?

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Watched a video. Remove seat assembly, unbolt seat bottom with 4 13mm bolts and lift out. Then can access seat back bottom to release the fabric attachment and then roll up and then can look for problem. Again, sound about right?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think I accessed mine from the underside of the seat back material. I think it's zippered or clipped.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
"There Is Always More Than One Way... To *SKIN* A CAT..."

For $115.00 ...OBO... on eBay... Make the Seller an Offer... He Can't Refuse... :>)

Suggestion:

If the Outer Shell of THIS Chariot Back is not a DBOM (Dead Balls On Match) for your SUV Driver's Seat Back... Peel the Covers in Between the Two... and Swap Them...

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600A.jpgs-l1600C.jpgs-l1600E.jpg

Mind the OEM Manual's CAUTIONS for the R&R of the Side Air Bag...!!!

Last edited:

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
"There Is Always More Than One Way... To *SKIN* A CAT..."

For $115.00 ...OBO... on eBay... Make the Seller an Offer... He Can't Refuse... :>)

Suggestion:

If the Outer Shell of THIS Chariot Back is not a DBOM (Dead Balls On Match) for your SUV Driver's Seat Back... Peel the Covers in Between the Two... and Swap Them...

View attachment 110367View attachment 110368View attachment 110369View attachment 110370

Mind the OEM Manual's CAUTIONS for the R&R of the Side Air Bag...!!!
Again, that would depend on the electrical setting for the lumbar on ANY separate seat back. The vehicle is only manual adjust. The attaching to the rest of the seat may or may not be the same as well. I don't think it will take much to remove the seat. The only electrical connection on this seat would be for the air bag harness, IMO.

IF I do the seat removal and tear down, I will post pics.

I used to do you tube videos of the work on this TB but I found that doing so, slows me down.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Well, removed bolt/nut covers, 18mm socket and battery powered Milwaukee 3/8 impact, unplugged the air bag connectors-2 of them, removed seat, separated the seat cloth lower long clips and peeled the fabric up, removed the 3 Christmas Tree push clips-one at bottom and two at sides, peeled flexible black plastic cover, saw the adjustable lumbar steel plate, removed the cable that slides it and then popped off of the rails where the plate slides and then zip tied the loose adjustable cable to the seat bottom, reinstalled the 3 clips to hold plastic cover, pulled the fabric back in place and reattached the long channel clips, reinstalled seat and bolted in to place and reattached the air bag connectors.

She sat in it and said is way better with nothing pushing on her back. Forgot to take pics of the seat with fabric pulled back but there are plenty of you tube showing it. I did shoot pics of the steel plate and the spring that works with the adjuster cable.

20231218_122728.jpg20231218_122744.jpg20231218_122751.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online