01 silverado 4x4 4.8 power steering cooler leaking

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
01 silverado 4x4 4.8 power steering cooler lines rusted and leaking out all my PS fluid going to work today.

Looking for info on replacement or fix. How to get to it as it is behind the grill but in front of the radiator and mounted to a support.

Are the 2 lines going into the PS cooler low pressure? Being they look like they may clamp to other lines with rubber ends somewhere. The metal lines going into the cooler has rusted and appear to have rubber lines attached maybe from there to some where.

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Found a video on grille removal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbxwWty8aiQ

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Just drove it so far good. The dang PS cooler couldnt be spliced as the hole was up in the cooler itself. SOB I thought. So I cut the cooler off at both lines and looped fuel injection line for now for a temp fix. It is low side so no big time pressure.

So why do these newer trucks have a PS cooler 2" wide by 12-14" tall making 1 loop like this upside down U. Does it really cool anything down in that time?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It may depend on different applications. Some may create more heat than others. Hopefully it's not as difficult to replace than GMT360/370's. Another option would be to replace it with a small tranny cooler.

GMfever

Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Just so you all know. The oem part is $75-$85

The parts store aftermarket replacements are $20.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's why we call them stealerships.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR