http://gmtnation.com/showthread.php?t=783

Currently Offline
    68 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Pewter Metallic

Transmission Removal

Does anyone have a procedure for removing the transmission on a 2005 Envoy 4X4? A shop is going to do the rebuild. Thanks in advance!

Currently Offline
    57 Posts Since Dec 2011
    ILLINOIS
    2005 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LS 4.2L I6 2WD
    Summit White
    use the search button chilton manual

Premium Supporter

Currently Online
    3,429 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Mansfield, OH
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LS 4.2L I6 4X4
    Forest Green Metallic
    So you're pulling and reinstalling the trans yourself, and having a shop rebuild the guts, correct?

It would probably be worth your while to get a Haynes or Chilton's manual. Only like 15 bucks or something like that.

At any rate, I may be able to jot down the info from my Haynes for you in a little while.

Currently Offline
    68 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Pewter Metallic
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    So you're pulling and reinstalling the trans yourself, and having a shop rebuild the guts, correct?

It would probably be worth your while to get a Haynes or Chilton's manual. Only like 15 bucks or something like that.

At any rate, I may be able to jot down the info from my Haynes for you in a little while.
    Yes, a shop is doing the rebuild.

I am not the one doing the removal- I have a friend who is doing a favor for his brother-in-law to save him some $ on labor. He recently removed the transmission from his Silverado to have it rebuilt and thought the Envoy would be similar enough. He has followed the procedure in the Haynes manual, but can't get the bell housing to break loose from the engine. He asked me for advice because I do most of the work on my TB, however (knock on wood) I have never had to touch the transmission on my truck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Currently Offline
    1,292 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Black
    Just grab the free manuals from here. Check my sig.

As for the bellhousing, there is an insane number of bolts on these things (9 or 11, I can't remember). Be sure to get them all.

Currently Offline
    1,991 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Manassas, Va
    2002 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Onyx Black
    I just wanted to throw this out just in case it was overlooked, did you remove the bolts for the torque converter to the flywheel?

Also, isnt there one bolt on the top center that's recessed? Not sure....been awhile.

Currently Offline
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Black
    No recessed bolts but the engine and transmission have to be lowered to allow enough room to get at the top ones. Really tight space there. And I just checked the manual, there re 11 bolts. 7 on the engine block and 4 in the oil pan.

Currently Offline
    68 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Pewter Metallic
    Update:

He had all the bolts removed- the bell housing was fused to the block. After some "persuasion," the transmission has been removed.

Currently Offline
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Black
    Congrats. Could have been the locating dowels. They're usually a slip tight fit and corrosion could have made them hold on a bit more.