Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 36
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Creaking brakes when stopped

Get QR Code
http://gmtnation.com/showthread.php?t=2572
  1. #1
    Member

    Currently Offline
    42 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Indy
    2012 Buick Rainier
    SLT 4.2L I6 AWD
    Black

    Creaking brakes when stopped

    I noticed today the front left brakes creak when sitting still. Press firmly on the brake pedal and it creaks. Release and it creaks again.

    Take apart, clean, and lube the best action?

    Thanks!
    Joe
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 1000 - Akrapovic, PC3, Schnitz Racing tune - 166hp
    93 Z/28, 04 Buick Rainier AWD, '08 Chevy Malibu

  2. #2
    Premium Supporter

    Currently Offline
    3,426 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Mansfield, OH
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LS 4.2L I6 4X4
    Forest Green Metallic
    That's where I would start.

  3. #3
    Member

    Currently Offline
    42 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Indy
    2012 Buick Rainier
    SLT 4.2L I6 AWD
    Black
    So I have taken the thin pad guides out and it creaks. I lubed the caliper bolts and actually tried it with them out and it creaks. I losened the caliper bracket bolts and it creaks. I'm not sure what else to do...
    Joe
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 1000 - Akrapovic, PC3, Schnitz Racing tune - 166hp
    93 Z/28, 04 Buick Rainier AWD, '08 Chevy Malibu

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Currently Offline
    117 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Evansville, Indiana
    2004 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    LS 4.2L I6 2WD
    Dark Gray Metallic
    I haven something similar on mine. I got plenty of meat left on the pads. Rotors got grooves so i dont know if i should get them turned or say hell with it and buy new rotors. I got a 114k miles. My guide pins are greased too.
    04 Trailblazer EXT 4.2L, PCM4less, K&N

  5. #5
    Member

    Currently Offline
    94 Posts Since Dec 2011
    NY
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LS 4.2L I6 4X4
    Summit White
    Mine has been doing that also , ive had the pins lubed and pads greased and it still creaks i think it might be the caliper itself

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Currently Offline
    117 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Evansville, Indiana
    2004 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    LS 4.2L I6 2WD
    Dark Gray Metallic
    I took off the drivers side caliper and rotor to find out the backside of the rotor has about 4-5 pits or gouges. Probably too deep to have removed if i had them turned so i bought one of the advance auto $40 rotors (minus $10 code). Hopfully that will take care of my squeaks. So you might have similar with the pits on the rotor.
    04 Trailblazer EXT 4.2L, PCM4less, K&N

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Currently Offline
    117 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Evansville, Indiana
    2004 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    LS 4.2L I6 2WD
    Dark Gray Metallic
    well it wasnt the rotor. so i guess these duralast pads are it. not sure what else it could be. sounds like wear indicators when applying the brakes.
    04 Trailblazer EXT 4.2L, PCM4less, K&N

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Currently Offline
    190 Posts Since Mar 2012
    Hudson Valley, NY
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LTZ 4.2L I6 4X4
    Red Jewel Tintcoat
    I know you said that you "lubed the caliper bolts", but the only thing that actually moves when applying the brakes is the caliper sliding along the bolts to pull the pads inward. I'd double check everything in that area.

    Oh, and try spraying a little wd40 around the caliper piston where it enters the caliper body.
    Always remember: wherever you go, there you are!
    PCM4less,HID,DRL killer,cabin air filter,Mobil 1,K&N,LED's,192K+

  9. #9
    Premium Supporter

    Currently Offline
    2,405 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    2005 GMC Envoy XL
    SLE 4.2L I6 4X4
    Superior Blue Metallic
    My old brakes did the same creaking at a stop. I replaced the pads (Wagner thermo quiet) with wear ever platinum ceramics and the noise is gone. The pads came with shims and anti rattle clips and I put them in. The noise could have been the old anti rattle clips, shims or pads. Just found out that those stainless pieces need to be replaced each and every time the pads are replaced. Could possibly have been the problem.

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Currently Offline
    117 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Evansville, Indiana
    2004 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    LS 4.2L I6 2WD
    Dark Gray Metallic
    i used some 3in1 oil and let it slide down around both caliper pistons. mine sound like wear indicators do when you have no pads left but i have plenty of pads and only sound when applying the brakes. I bought the autozone duralast pads so i wonder if they'll credit me some for a new set?>
    04 Trailblazer EXT 4.2L, PCM4less, K&N

  11. #11
    Premium Supporter

    Currently Offline
    2,405 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    2005 GMC Envoy XL
    SLE 4.2L I6 4X4
    Superior Blue Metallic
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    i used some 3in1 oil and let it slide down around both caliper pistons. mine sound like wear indicators do when you have no pads left but i have plenty of pads and only sound when applying the brakes. I bought the autozone duralast pads so i wonder if they'll credit me some for a new set?>
    Make sure the new pads come with shims and anti rattle clips

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Currently Offline
    117 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Evansville, Indiana
    2004 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    LS 4.2L I6 2WD
    Dark Gray Metallic
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainXL View Post
    Make sure the new pads come with shims and anti rattle clips


    Duralast Gold/Brake Pads - Front (DG882) | 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2WD 6 Cylinders S 4.2L SFI DOHC | AutoZone.com

    I have this type. Isn't that shim - the silver backing with the autozone logo?
    04 Trailblazer EXT 4.2L, PCM4less, K&N

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Currently Offline
    139 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Western NY
    2006 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    LS 4.2L I6 4X4
    Steel Gray Metallic
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001FZ1 View Post
    So I have taken the thin pad guides out and it creaks. I lubed the caliper bolts and actually tried it with them out and it creaks. I losened the caliper bracket bolts and it creaks. I'm not sure what else to do...
    I have had creaky brakes in the past, it drives you crazy doesn't it! Very annoying. You can put small amounts of grease anywhere metal rubs on metal to solve this. ie where the brake pad metal ends run along the calipers. On the calipers where the clips sit, where the pad ends move, etc. On the backs of the brake pads where the calipers push. There are only so many places that can make noise. No grease on the pad itself or rotor surface! Obvious I know.

  14. #14
    Premium Supporter

    Currently Offline
    2,405 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    2005 GMC Envoy XL
    SLE 4.2L I6 4X4
    Superior Blue Metallic
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Duralast Gold/Brake Pads - Front (DG882) | 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2WD 6 Cylinders S 4.2L SFI DOHC | AutoZone.com

    I have this type. Isn't that shim - the silver backing with the autozone logo?
    No. The shims are the weird looking stainless pieces that both ends of the pad slide along. The shims attach to the bracket. If you put grease on these shims or on the back of the insulator on the pads its just going to attract dirt. Put grease on slide pins only.)
    Last edited by CaptainXL; 04-02-2012 at 10:53 AM.

  15. #15
    Member

    Currently Offline
    42 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Indy
    2012 Buick Rainier
    SLT 4.2L I6 AWD
    Black
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryIrons View Post
    I have had creaky brakes in the past, it drives you crazy doesn't it! Very annoying. You can put small amounts of grease anywhere metal rubs on metal to solve this. ie where the brake pad metal ends run along the calipers. On the calipers where the clips sit, where the pad ends move, etc. On the backs of the brake pads where the calipers push. There are only so many places that can make noise. No grease on the pad itself or rotor surface! Obvious I know.
    I was able to make the creak stop. i swapped the pads from inside to outside and it is quiet. I know this is not ideal but they are working fine even pulling a trailer.
    Joe
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 1000 - Akrapovic, PC3, Schnitz Racing tune - 166hp
    93 Z/28, 04 Buick Rainier AWD, '08 Chevy Malibu

  16. #16
    Senior Member

    Currently Offline
    117 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Evansville, Indiana
    2004 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    LS 4.2L I6 2WD
    Dark Gray Metallic
    I did the same by swapping pads and made no difference
    04 Trailblazer EXT 4.2L, PCM4less, K&N

  17. #17
    Premium Supporter

    Currently Offline
    2,405 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    2005 GMC Envoy XL
    SLE 4.2L I6 4X4
    Superior Blue Metallic
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I did the same by swapping pads and made no difference
    Did you put new shims and anti rattle clips on? Good pads come with these.

  18. #18
    Senior Member

    Currently Offline
    117 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Evansville, Indiana
    2004 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    LS 4.2L I6 2WD
    Dark Gray Metallic
    After checking the new rotor today there is a freshly made line/groove. I'm on the iPhone or I would post the picture. Definitely something in middle of the pad.
    04 Trailblazer EXT 4.2L, PCM4less, K&N

  19. #19
    Senior Member

    Currently Online
    3,386 Posts Since Dec 2011
    no where u need to know
    2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
    3SS 6.0L V8 AWD
    Black
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    After checking the new rotor today there is a freshly made line/groove. I'm on the iPhone or I would post the picture. Definitely something in middle of the pad.
    Are u saying ur on tapatalk?? U can post pics..I do it all the time

  20. #20
    Premium Supporter

    Currently Offline
    2,405 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    2005 GMC Envoy XL
    SLE 4.2L I6 4X4
    Superior Blue Metallic
    Well it has been over a month with the Wearever Platinum ceramic pads on and they work awesome. I exchanged the Thermoquiets at Advance Auto with no box or reciepts and no questions asked. No more creaking or pad squeal! I am happy as a bug in the rug. Those Wagner Thermoquiet pads sure were crappy. If I would have read the reviews on Amazon I would have steered clear.
    Last edited by CaptainXL; 04-30-2012 at 01:04 AM.

  21. #21
    Junior Member

    Currently Offline
    6 Posts Since Jul 2012
    Lansing, MI
    2004 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Onyx Black
    Just noticed this sound coming from my front driver's side wheel, gonna try swap inner and outer pads and see if that works. I also looked on that 'other' site and saw that some people also suggested looking at the rubber boots that cover the pistons inside the caliper as they can get torn and jammed causing a noise. I notice that it also makes the noise when the truck isn't even on and I decompress the brake pedal, making a louder sound as I press all the way to the floor. I recently bought drilled and slotted rotors that came with ceramic pads and I think the pads are crap. Any other ideas?

  22. #22
    Premium Supporter

    Currently Offline
    2,405 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    2005 GMC Envoy XL
    SLE 4.2L I6 4X4
    Superior Blue Metallic
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun4282 View Post
    Just noticed this sound coming from my front driver's side wheel, gonna try swap inner and outer pads and see if that works. I also looked on that 'other' site and saw that some people also suggested looking at the rubber boots that cover the pistons inside the caliper as they can get torn and jammed causing a noise. I notice that it also makes the noise when the truck isn't even on and I decompress the brake pedal, making a louder sound as I press all the way to the floor. I recently bought drilled and slotted rotors that came with ceramic pads and I think the pads are crap. Any other ideas?
    All I have to say is make sure you replace the stainless pieces or the pads won't wear right. There are three stainless pieces per caliper. This solved my creaking. Also make sure to use a wire brush to clean off any rust on any of the parts.

    Originally while troubleshooting I rebuilt the calipers but it never solved the creaking. Aside from the stainless shims i'm sure poor pads is a contributor as well.

    W01331789675AKE.JPG
    Last edited by CaptainXL; 08-26-2012 at 09:27 PM.

  23. #23
    Premium Supporter

    Currently Offline
    2,405 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    2005 GMC Envoy XL
    SLE 4.2L I6 4X4
    Superior Blue Metallic
    Well it's been a year and the Wearever Platinum ceramic pads are still working great. However the [creaking when pressing the brake pedal when stopped] came back. Gonna get some reman'd calipers for both sides and see what that does.

  24. #24
    Senior Member

    Currently Offline
    331 Posts Since Jan 2012
    Decatur, MI
    2002 GMC Envoy XL
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Sandalwood Metallic
    Wagner Thermoquiet are pretty crappy and if I remember when I used them, made too much dust and they were slightly smaller than other brakes (they wore less area of the rotor).

    For those with groves in the rotors, your pads are most likely semi-metallic. Ceramics which are OEM wouldn't score into the rotors and last extremely longer.

    As for creaking; are you sure it's the brakes or because you apply the brakes and the truck dips, the bushings from control arms or shocks makes creeks? Same with releasing since the truck is coming up from the dip. Just spray some lithium grease at the bushing sites and take a ride to indicate a difference.

  25. #25
    Premium Supporter

    Currently Offline
    2,405 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    2005 GMC Envoy XL
    SLE 4.2L I6 4X4
    Superior Blue Metallic
    Quote Originally Posted by seanpooh View Post
    As for creaking; are you sure it's the brakes or because you apply the brakes and the truck dips, the bushings from control arms or shocks makes creeks? Same with releasing since the truck is coming up from the dip. Just spray some lithium grease at the bushing sites and take a ride to indicate a difference.
    The creaking happens when you pressed the brake pedal when parked/stopped. The truck was also randomly pulling to the left when braking. Just got done replacing both front calipers. Problem solved for both issues. But I also found out that I need new upper ball joints. Next project I guess.

  26. #26
    Moderator

    Currently Offline
    1,779 Posts Since Dec 2013
    West Virginia
    2005 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Black
    I had this creaking. I replaced my pads and rotors and it went away.

    Replacement Pads - ACDelco OEM
    Replacement Rotors - Got at Advance Auto, can't remember the exact brand name but apparently the same manufacturer makes Raybestos and stuff since there were multiple part numbers on the side of the box.

    -Remove old pads and rotors
    -Remove clips
    -Replace rotoros
    -Wire-brush bracket in appropriate areas
    -Install clips
    -Grease the inside edges of the two end clips
    -Install pads
    -Grease the backside of both pads
    -Put what grease I had left to the slide pins
    -Put everything back together

    Just went with the standard procedure, and greased where the AC Delco box showed me to. Worked just fine.

  27. #27
    Senior Member

    Currently Offline
    139 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Western NY
    2006 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    LS 4.2L I6 4X4
    Steel Gray Metallic
    You can actually buy a small tub of synthetic brake caliper grease as well so you don't have to depend on that little packet and worry about running out, and to grease those pins up whenever they feel a little sluggish. It's basically synthetic grease, but withstands higher temps.

  28. #28
    Premium Supporter

    Currently Offline
    2,405 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    2005 GMC Envoy XL
    SLE 4.2L I6 4X4
    Superior Blue Metallic
    Grease the back side of the pads? That's a new one on me. Pads usually come with dampener on the back side. Since my last post I have found that Creaking on our vehicles is usually a side effect of bad caliper piston seals. They need to be replaced or rebuilt. Compressing the caliper pistons has the effect of temporarily quieting the noise. The creaking will likely come back in short order. Yeah, I have been through this myself more than once.
    Last edited by CaptainXL; 01-27-2014 at 08:11 AM.

  29. #29
    Junior Member

    Currently Offline
    3 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Parma, Ohio
    2005 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LS 4.2L I6 4X4
    Light Tarnished Silver Metallic
    I'm running into the exact same problem, the front driver side squeaks whenever I step on the brakes. I lubed it all up, loosened the pins, same problem. Then I found that one of the caliper pistons is not extending when the brake is depressed. I'm planning on fixing that this week and I'm betting this should solve that squeak...

  30. #30
    Moderator

    Currently Offline
    1,779 Posts Since Dec 2013
    West Virginia
    2005 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Black
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainXL View Post
    Grease the back side of the pads? That's a new one on me. Pads usually come with dampener on the back side. Since my last post I have found that Creaking on our vehicles is usually a side effect of bad caliper piston seals. They need to be replaced or rebuilt. Compressing the caliper pistons has the effect of temporarily quieting the noise. The creaking will likely come back in short order. Yeah, I have been through this myself more than once.
    That's what the picture in the ACDelco brake pad box showed me to do, since there was contact being made there. It was just a solid metal back plate, painted black, and then of course the friction material on the other side.

    In my case the creaking would occur while depressing the brakes, or while stopped and moving the brake pedal. It seemed in direct relation to how much pressure I was applying. Letting off the brake but staying stopped would also creak too. It's all gone with my part replacement, I've no clue specifically which part was the magic fix, whether it be getting the crappy old pads out of there, or new anti-vibration clips. But it sounded like a miniature version of metal groaning to me.

    But I'd still also check CaptainXL's suggestion - if you've got your brakes off you may as well check the piston seals while they're extended anyway, looking ain't hurting and it could tell you if your caliper pistons are failing/failed.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved | Hosting and Support by 423network
GMTNation 2011-2014 All Rights Reserved. All trademarks referenced herein are property of their respective owners.