http://gmtnation.com/showthread.php?t=4969

Currently Offline
    2,588 Posts Since May 2012
    Kitchener Ontario
    2006 GMC Envoy
    Denali 5.3L V8 4X4
    Liquid Silver Metallic

Sunroof Spoiler Purpose?

Morning all, I was just wondering what is the purpose of the sunroof spoiler? It's the slotted spoiler that springs up at the front of the sunroof when it's opened. I have noticed its much quieter in the truck cruising down the hiway and holding the spoiler down. So when it's up it's noisy from the wind hitting it. Is its purpose to deflect air and/or bugs over the opening? I tried with back seat passangers and they said up or down makes no difference with air coming in the opening. So what's its purpose, does it need to be there?

Currently Offline
    104 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Twin Cities, MN
    2006 GMC Envoy
    Denali 5.3L V8 4X4
    Summit White
    Hold the spoiler down and slowly accelerate from a stop. At certain speeds you will hear a loud low-frequency rumble with the spoiler down. With the spoiler up, airflow is disturbed enough to keep this from happening.

-- Dan Meyer

Currently Offline
    112 Posts Since Nov 2011
    Pepin, WI
    2003 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Pewter Metallic
    Exactly. If the spoiler stays down you will hear a woo woo woo sort of sound. It is very annoying. My wifes mountaineer makes the sound even with the spoiler up, damn Ford engineers couldn't even get that part right.
    An armed society is a polite one. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.-Robert Heinlein

Currently Offline
    2,588 Posts Since May 2012
    Kitchener Ontario
    2006 GMC Envoy
    Denali 5.3L V8 4X4
    Liquid Silver Metallic
    Quote Originally Posted by n0kfb View Post
    Hold the spoiler down and slowly accelerate from a stop. At certain speeds you will hear a loud low-frequency rumble with the spoiler down. With the spoiler up, airflow is disturbed enough to keep this from happening.

-- Dan Meyer
    Quote Originally Posted by bore_pig View Post
    Exactly. If the spoiler stays down you will hear a woo woo woo sort of sound. It is very annoying. My wifes mountaineer makes the sound even with the spoiler up, damn Ford engineers couldn't even get that part right.
    Ya, I only tried holding it down at hiway speeds. I am familiar with that low frequency woot woot rumble, I used to get that in my Impala with driver window open and then the passanger rear window open more than 2"-3". That was very annoying. I'll be leaving the spoiler as it is.

Thanks for the info .

Currently Offline
    935 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    2007 Saab 9-7x
    More to come... 5.3L V8 AWD
    Onyx Black
    Quote Originally Posted by bore_pig View Post
    must be why I sometimes see those plastic aftermarket spoilers in front of the moon roof. Usually on foreign cars when I see them.
    Mine: 2007 SAAB 9-7x, 5.3i, Navigation, DVD, G86, MR, OEM HID's, Obsidian black with black and tan interior
    Wifes: 2007 Rainier, 5.3, AWD, MR, Running Boards, Navigation, DVD

Currently Offline
    112 Posts Since Nov 2011
    Pepin, WI
    2003 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Pewter Metallic
    Yeah, that's what they're for. I won't put one on the Mounty though as it would really throw off the look of the vehicle. We just have to open a side window about 3" to make the noise go away.
    An armed society is a polite one. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.-Robert Heinlein

Currently Online
    3,386 Posts Since Dec 2011
    no where u need to know
    2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
    3SS 6.0L V8 AWD
    Black

Re: Sunroof Spoiler Purpose?

Whatever happened to the real spoiler sunroofs that the grandprix's had? The glass slid open like a spoiler.
    McGMT likes this.