Currently Offline
    2 Posts Since Apr 2012
    Mt. Washington, KY

Smell of gas/exhaust fumes through vents

Alright this is becoming very annoying for me now. I need help with diagnosing this problem I am having. Everytime I use my a/c without using the recirculate button I get the smell of exhaust and or gas coming through the vents. Can anyone tell me what the issue is that I am dealing with. A side note: I also smell exhaust underneath the driverside when ever the vehicle is warmed up. All filters, important sensors, spark plugs and wires as well as a new cat. converter replaced. Any ideas will be appreciated. By the way this is on a 04 TB LT I6 4x4, non EXT.
    Last edited by trailblazer077; 04-08-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: vehicle info. added

Currently Offline
    531 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Macomb County, Michigan
    2003 GMC Envoy
    SLE 4.2L I6 4X4
    Majestic Red Metallic
    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazer077 View Post
    Alright this is becoming very annoying for me now. I need help with diagnosing this problem I am having. Everytime I use my a/c without using the recirculate button I get the smell of exhaust and or gas coming through the vents. Can anyone tell me what the issue is that I am dealing with. A side note: I also smell exhaust underneath the driverside when ever the vehicle is warmed up. All filters, important sensors, spark plugs and wires as well as a new cat. converter replaced. Any ideas will be appreciated. By the way this is on a 04 TB LT I6 4x4, non EXT.

This is just a wild guess, but possibly an exhaust manifold? Did you check that out yet?

Administrator

Currently Online
    7,776 Posts Since Nov 2011
    North San Diego County, CA
    2004 GMC Envoy
    SLT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Liquid Silver Metallic
    Welcome! Saw your post on the other site. I'd take it in to a trustworthy muffler shop quickly for an exhaust test if you can't see it easily yourself. Carbon monoxide leaks are nothing to put off diagnosing because of the poisonous effect it has on everyone. The platform has had chronic problems with exhaust manifold cracking, but that's on the passenger side. But the fumes could waft over to the driver's side easily.

If you also smell unburned fuel hydrocarbons, get the catalytic converter tested as well for backpressure. Have you had any problems getting full power in wide open throttle (WOT) situations?

Ever any Service Engine Soon light flashing? Steady?

How many miles? Any other maintenance history? Are you current on plugs, O2 sensor maintenance, and all fluids? (Not that fluids matter, but I tend to ask new members a lot about that because many of them don't remember about the short 50K transfer case interval)

GMTNation Abides
    - Bill
    From my Golden Age of Offroading (2005-2009): Trail Report & Picture Thread

Currently Offline
    2 Posts Since Apr 2012
    Mt. Washington, KY
    The TB has 122000 miles on it. Mainly driven on the highway back and forth to work. All main sensors, catalytic converter, plugs, filters and fluids have been replaced. I have no problems running wide open. The TB actually runs great. Just smells of exhaust fumes. I have noticed a clicking sound coming from the passenger engine side. I do believe it could be the exhaust manifold. here is my question. How does the heated air enter through the vents? I have noticed that the only air intake entrance is through the port coming out of the air filter box.

Currently Offline
    70 Posts Since Aug 2012
    Sanford, FL
    2003 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Silver Green Metallic

Me too!

I only get my smell from Close to WOT or WOT (Merging onto Highway). Read that the bolts on the Manifold come loose, break or the Manifold itself Cracks and causes this. Haven't had any issues from it though. It's been years now and has become an expected thing. I'll get a Manifold and/or bolt someday. It's always something else that has to be fixed first though.

Currently Offline
    11 Posts Since Aug 2012
    Houston
    Saab 9-7x
    AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillyo82 View Post
    I only get my smell from Close to WOT or WOT (Merging onto Highway). Read that the bolts on the Manifold come loose, break or the Manifold itself Cracks and causes this. Haven't had any issues from it though. It's been years now and has become an expected thing. I'll get a Manifold and/or bolt someday. It's always something else that has to be fixed first though.
    i'm assuming this is on an I6. I don't have the I6 and have the same thing happening to me. Its a given that if i have someone w/ me i will have to roll down the windows to air it out. on a long trip if i average above 75 my eyes start to burn, a sure sign i'm about to die of CO posioning.

Currently Online
    140 Posts Since Dec 2011
    Western NY
    2006 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    LS 4.2L I6 4X4
    Steel Gray Metallic
    Does it run louder than it used to?

I had a problem like this a while ago on an older ford pickup, it was solved by tightening down the bolts that hold the exhaust or exhaust manifold can't remember which.

Currently Offline
    70 Posts Since Aug 2012
    Sanford, FL
    2003 Chevy TrailBlazer
    LT 4.2L I6 4X4
    Silver Green Metallic
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGTruk View Post
    i'm assuming this is on an I6. I don't have the I6 and have the same thing happening to me. Its a given that if i have someone w/ me i will have to roll down the windows to air it out. on a long trip if i average above 75 my eyes start to burn, a sure sign i'm about to die of CO posioning.
    Yeah it's an I6. As long as I don't hammer it, it doesn't smell. I don't notice it being any louder either.